View Poll Results: Does Iroquois need to be redesigned???

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

29 72.50%
  • NO

11 27.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iroquois Redesigned???

Default Iroquois Redesigned???

Does Iroquois need to be redesigned???

Iroquois has so much more potential than what is offered now. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the course. It could be made trickier (if that is a word) and more difficult. My thoughts anyways.
    USE LIFE TO PROVIDE SOMETHING THAT OUTLASTS IT!!!!

Id love to see the Swamp redesigned. I dont like holes where its possible to hit cars, done that twice, design flaw to me. That probably doesnt help the disc golf image when we hit cars on roads, I hope Im not the only one.
    Some of the areas are so walked down, its like they never dry and erosion may become a problem. We know they would like to expand the parking lot whether they ever do or not. If we show we are willing to move for the good of the park it may help us later, as long as we get to keep our 18 holes.

I hope I dont bore you guys with all of these "history" posts. But I kinda think a thread of the past should run through the future of the game.

The club at the time redesigned IQ in 1991. We had 6 months to put together enough cash to replace all of the baskets or the course would have been pulled. All of the old baskets were damaged and 13 of them were flat stolen. The Park road was open then all of the way around and it was completely lawless in the park. One night there was a medical emergency on the road and it took 3 hours for an ambulance to get to them because of congestion. So within the week the road was closed. It has since opened 1/2 way.

So there were about 3 of us still playing DG at the time. One day I was playing what is hole 8 now and about hit a guy walking up the fairway, it was the Park's director. He was on the course deciding what to do about it. Seems the Park's had taken an interest in the Park again. After several meetings he gave us/me 6 months to fix it or say goodbye.

So we got the cash for the baskets, we knew then we should change the layout but we didnt have any money left to make or change pads too. So we extended, tweaked and tucked baskets best we could. We did replace the practice basket as hole 1 by adding hole 11.

The layout was originally designed for Midnight Flyers. It is time to redesign it. But new pads this time. Oh and go across the hills this time!

I enjoy the history lessons, we all have things to learn from those who came before us.

I wouldn't say redesign, just altered a bit. Its obvious where the baskets could be placed elswhere or tee pads moved. I think it's a great course, even though it's beaten in.

I'm kind of split about whether I want to redesign Iroquois. It's definitely a throwback course, and definitely well-suited to beginners and casual players. I think that we need that. On the other hand, I would probably play there more if it were more difficult. I don't know...
    Dick Stout

I think a partial re-design of Iroquois would be great to revitalize the course. Some of the holes are great, but others... no so much.

What I'd really like to come out of this is multiple pin placements for some of the holes.

Think about it, why is Freeman Lake one of the best courses around here?
    One of the reasons is multiple pin placements that keep the course fresh so you're not playing the same 18 holes again and again and again and again. Granted that's not the only reason it's so good, but it is a contributing factor to it's sucess.

Some of the holes at IQ are conducive to a second pin position right now but most aren't. If the course is partially re-designed and we keep multiple pin placements in mind while doing it, we will end up with a much better and more interesting course. Even multiple pin positions on half of the holes will be a vast improvement.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I believe that it would be beneficial to us all if IRQ. was redesigned. It would be a pleasure to work on it as well.
    phuket!! itlebe aight!!!

OK... I don't think that a major change in Iroquois is a good idea, for a couple of reasons. First, it is a course in the ground. If we change it, it will have to be taken out and then it becomes all too easy for them to not put it back in quickly. Second, it's a classic design. I think it's the third oldest course in Kentucky. I've heard that Steady Ed had something to do with the original design, which I think is still generally represented. We should never change a course designed by him. It's part of the heritage of the game. Third, its beginner and casual disc golfer friendly. A lot of people play that course. It's definitely got broad appeal and brings new people to the game. I don't want to jeopardize that.

I do agree that multiple pin placements are a great idea.
    Dick Stout

Thread Information