I emailed the park director today for an update. Not great news for now but hopefully just on hold until the state budget is passed. Here is our conversation (start from the bottom email and read up):
Thank you for the update. Although disappointing to hear, I am hopeful that we will be able to put a course into Tom Sawyer when the time is right and with very little impact on your budget allocation from the state. Hopefully seeing that the club intends to pay for everything that we possibly can will help expedite their decision when the time comes. We have a list of volunteers that are excited about the opportunity to install a new course and will be waiting to hear the outcome. I think that we are both on the same page that a disc golf course will be an addition to the park's already established list of great family activities. If there is anything that I can do, please let me know and I will ensure that it will be taken care of. Thank you again for the opportunity to work with the park on this project.
Jason Van Over
"Head, Chris (PARKS)"
05/06/2010 09:34 AM
RE: Disc Golf Course proposal
Jason…Unfortunately, the current state budget situation has stalled any process for facility development. I, like you, am anxious to see how this proposal could possibly work but am at the mercy of the passing of a state budget. It looks like we will be in wait mode until the passing of a budget or July 1st deadline. I will email you when I hear something. Thanks!!
From: Jason.Vanover@dana.com [mailto:Jason.Vanover@dana.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:08 AM
To: Head, Chris (PARKS)
Subject: RE: Disc Golf Course proposal
I just wanted to check in to see if there had been any progress on the project. If you need any more information from me please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
Jason Van Over
Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
Light Vehicle Driveline
Dana Holding Corporation
12720 Westport Rd. Suite F
Louisville, KY 40245
I hope the budget plan goes well because they say that state parks will be the first thing cut if it doesn't. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully we will have this course.
This is the second time we've heard something like this now with Charlestown State Park being the first. We offer to pay for the course, and they tell us they don't have the funds for it. I'm I missing something?
At any rate, Chris sounds fairly positive about the whole thing so hopefully it will work out when the time's right.
I feel very good about our relationship with Chris. He has been positive about having a course there from the first time I spoke to him and then every time that I spoke to him or Dave and I met with him after that. He asks very thorough questions and takes what we are doing serious. He is ultimately responsible for what happens at the park and I don't think he wants to be known for putting in something that doesn't benefit it.
I hope they say yes.