PDA

View Full Version : Players pack + trophy only Rec?

Adam
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I was reading that Dynamic Discs is running all their tournament where the Rec division gets their money back in players pack and then basically plays trophy only.

The recreational division was converted to trophy only for the 2012 season and remains that way for 2013. These recreational players usually pay around $35 and receive a players package worth well over that and often compete for additional prizes.
I see how this could turn off some Rec players who are very competitive, but on the other hand if you're that competitive it won't be long until you move up. I think it could be good giving Rec players their money back in discs so they always get something for playing and never lose anything, however they don't really have the opportunity to win more than what they put in either.

It's an interesting discussion, what are your thoughts about it?

Here's the full article about it. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83752

Mike_D
03-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I being a rec like getting discs but most the time it's a Roc or a DS & you only can win so many of them before your sick of them. Be good if we could win something like the Tern or some new plastic that might better our game. Hell i'm down with getting back $30.oo

G1nked
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
I like the trophy deal shows pride and accomplishment where new plastic becomes old and possibly even lost or traded. Its hard to lose a trophy

jobwilson82
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Trophy only all the way.
At the Louisville Classic, I didn't care about any stack of plastic or even a basket. I wanted that trophy!

I think it's time the amateur side of disc golf get away from payouts.

jobwilson82
03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I being a rec like getting discs but most the time it's a Roc or a DS & you only can win so many of them before your sick of them. Be good if we could win something like the Tern or some new plastic that might better our game. Hell i'm down with getting back $30.oo

You should have played the Louisville Classic. I came home with a brand new, shiny Tern.

Mike_D
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Sorry i was already committed to a car show for months before the classic even was a thought.

Good thing is i already have a 1st run Tern in my bag. But yeah anything other then rocs & ds :-)

Trophies sound cool but take time to get & cost more when preparing for a tournament

Adam
03-22-2013, 02:38 AM
DX Rocs and the like are usually given away as players packs for smaller events. For something like what DD is describing, the players are probably getting 3 non-dx discs (one DX at most) for $35, and yeah newer stuff.

Personally, I'm not sure what I think about doing it for all Am divisions. But since the Rec division is often for new players just getting their feet wet with disc golf and/or competition, it seems appropriate. Not saying we're going to start doing that, but it is a compelling idea.

swasafix
03-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Thats why me being AM/REC only done a few tournaments, a lot of work for no reward

martin
03-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Trophy only for novice/rec...maybe intermediate...on the fence for adv

Giving ams a reason to start moving up is important as our sport continues to grow guys who have been playing a for more then a year or two need to be moving out of rec to open up competitive spots for new players

Adam
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Thats why me being AM/REC only done a few tournaments, a lot of work for no reward

So are you saying you'd be more interested in tournaments if the Rec division got their money back in the players pack and played for trophies?

Justin
03-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Giving ams a reason to start moving up is important as our sport continues to grow guys who have been playing a for more then a year or two need to be moving out of rec to open up competitive spots for new players

I partly agree with you, but being an advanced player, I'll give you my reason why I do not believe it should happen for advanced. By playing in advanced, you are playing in the top am division which means for some that they could probably play open, but just would not often be in the running to cash. Players in the advanced level are a little more competitive, and, at least me personally, when I am competing, I want more back than just what it cost me to get in. I would rather it be like pros for advanced and not get a players pack to actually compete for a payout that is much better than the entry fee. If I don't play well enough to cash, and I don't receive anything at all then that is on me. I need to work harder to do better next time. Disc golf is one of the only sports to just give people stuff for just paying to play. In most other sports, if you don't do well enough to place, you walk away with nothing. I'm not at all saying this is the best way for rec or intermediate. There should probably still be a players pack for them, but I don't think many advanced players would argue against a bigger payout in lieu of a players pack (as with anything though, there are always some who will gripe).

That being said, a trophy in addition to other stuff that still equals out to the same payout would be awesome. I like the tournaments I have won that have given out a trophy. It gives you something to show others who come visit your house or whatever.

Adam
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree Justin. With a lot of other sports you pay money just to play and win nothing but a trophy.

Justin
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Just to clarify, I'm against trophy only for advanced. I was just saying that a trophy in addition to payout would be awesome. The cost of the trophy just factors into the cost of the payout.

MarcusGresham
03-23-2013, 01:03 PM

The only way that provides an incentive to move up is if the player feels he has a chance to place. If you're barely lucky enough to place in rec then you realize you're probably going to get crushed if you move up, whether there are better prizes or not. I could move up to pro because I know there's a chance to win a lot of money but I also realistically know, unless all my competitors are swarmed by killer bees I have no chance.

The incentive to move up is the larger number of discs available.

Maybe there could be a time-frame placed on playing rec--say you have to move up to intermediate within 2,3, or 4 years of your first tournament; even still, there are a ton of guys who've been playing rec for years who still never manage to place because they don't have the skill-level to do so.

Justin
03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
If all rec was done as trophy only, but increased player packs, then the person who finished dead last will receive the same value of merchandise as the person who finishes first minus a trophy. Not getting anything significantly more than that would encourage those competitors who are often finishing near the top to step up to the next division, which would then open up competitive spots for other players in rec who have been near the middle or bottom. I think that would make sense.

swasafix
03-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Id rather play for a monetary return instead of plastic. I can buy a disc if I need one with the money I might win :)

:D
8)

swasafix
03-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Im not complaining about the players pack, its cool.

swasafix
03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I dont get to play often enough to advance my skill level and probably would never win a tourney anyway so it dont much matter.

G1nked
03-24-2013, 12:28 AM
I've played for five years and never do well enough to place besides my first tournament 10th out of 50 rec players. I moved "up" to advanced masters just due to the company, I agree if I need the discs I'll just buy exactly what I want so plastic has never been that great an incentive. Justin also has a valid point so I'm on the fence, I should be playing rec according to my rating, I don't feel like a rec player but no where in the near future would I play open just to give my money away. Trophys are cool plastic is cool I just play because of the people. I go for the fun and have made so many good friends I can't value that in either trophy's nor plastic.

illyB
03-24-2013, 04:55 AM
I agree shawn. In the end it's all about having a good time, but pushing your self is always a good thing too.

kmwood11
03-25-2013, 03:12 AM
As a player who just played his first tournament in the Rec division. Yes, I want a trophy. I could care less for a stack of plastic. I have a stack of plastic at home. A trophy of some sorts would give me pride. Whether it be a small gold-painted plastic figurine on top of a sparkly blue pole attached to a fake marble base or a custom dyed "Rec Division Champ" disc, a trophy would be a thousand times cooler than a Champ Destroyer that everyone else carries.

As far as Intermediate and Advanced divisions go, you may be looking at a different beast.

Some sort of tiered reward system I think is required (from the PDGA) in the amateur divisions to promote advancement in skill and deter sandbagging. This might be a good start.