PDA

View Full Version : Great things coming real soon.....

G1nked
08-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Im proud to leak the first bit of information that the Buffalo Chips have the green light for expansion/renovation of Buffalo Trace Park to 27 Holes and two new disc golf courses in Harrison County as well. We will be flipping the bill for BT and the parks will cover expenses on the other two courses. Anything of course could change but as of today were locked in for these projects to start.
More information to come as Southern Indiana's Disc Golf Mecca comes to fruition.

Mike_D
08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Congrats

illyB
09-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Great news!!

Kao
09-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Good stuff Shawn and the rest of the chips!

captain plastic
09-01-2012, 07:35 AM
:) :) :)

Daniel
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm seeing a road trip to see that one! Congrats, guys!

G1nked
09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I want to clarify Most know The Buffalo Chips is just a few guys who love to work on Trace to make it what it is today. I hope that we can get our park finished by Spring and then start on the other two with the continued support from the parks and help from other fellow disc golfers.

MarcusGresham
09-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Hayswood?????????? Am I finally getting my course at Hayswood Park? I've been dreaming about putting a course in there since I started playing. There's so much good, unused land on the back side of the creek--some wooded, some open, terrain changes. I think they could even put a parking lot in from a road most people don't even know about and it would be fairly secluded.
I'm guessing the other one would be South Harrison, which also has a lot of good wooded area that I know Ed was excited about. The only other place I could think of would be the Forestry, and that's state land instead of county, so that would be a different animal.

Adam
09-03-2012, 09:45 AM
That's awesome news, congrats!

I've already got a frundraiser in mind to help raise some money for the expansion at BT, I'll talk to you guys about it this week.

scottyb
09-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Buffalo Chips, NICE!!! What is up with Southern Indiana, courses are just popping up everywhere. I'm working on the next course at Patoka Lake right now, and also another one in Paoli, IN, next would be French Lick as well, hopefully have more pull in that town now that I am a business owner, and they are looking for anything to pull more people in.

MarcusGresham
09-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Paoli could be phenomenal if you end up with the right tract of land. When you hear "rolling hills of southern Indiana," that personifies Orange County and you could have some great elevation changes, not to mention there are tons of little streams running through the area.

As for Harrison County, I was just sitting down in the parking lot at South Harrison Park and imagining the possibilities. There are tons of woods there---about 3 or 4 different patches of woods that could allow for great holes and maybe some open holes between the patches of woods (I'm beginning to prefer wooded holes just because of the shade!) For those who've never been there, (and that's probably just about everyone,) it's kind of a Buffalo Trace without the lake. There are 3 or 4 softball/little league fields there and a swimming pool, and then there is a camping area like BT. For selfish reasons I'm hoping for a course at Hayswood Park in Corydon first but SHP can be great, too.
Get an expanded Buffalo, two other new courses in the county, and we have the option of a BIG tournament like BG Ams because you could use Corydon as the hub and you'd have a course in town (Hayswood,) one two or three miles outside of town (Fun Farm, if you want to use it,) South Harrison about 10 or 15 miles to the southeast, Buffalo Trace 15 miles north, Seviren Lang about that far to the east, and Meade Olin and Otter Creek 15/20 miles to the south.

G1nked
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Once the courses at SHP and Hayswood go in the board wants exactly that a tournament for Harrison County,which would be buffalo trace, south Harrison park and Hayswood. They seem very on board for a huge tournament in the future for their parks. A lot of work to get these courses in but over time we are going to have a plethora of awesome courses with an hour away. I hate to talk a lot about it not to jinx us but it sounds like the sky is the limit

MarcusGresham
09-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Is Hayswood (if we get it) going on the other side of the creek from the main part of the park? I don't know who has been over there wandering around other than me, but it's sweet. I waded through the creek one day to get over there before they'd opened the bridge.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Hayswood Park, Indian Creek, which runs through Corydon, runs through the park. As far as most people knew, the creek was the border of the park, but in reality the park also owns a huge batch of land on the other side of it which was basically inaccessible for years unless you wanted to wade across the stream, which isn't deep but is probably 80-100 feet across or more. There was an old iron bridge across Blue River that needed replacing because it wasn't strong enough for cars and farm equipment, but was so old that a group paid to preserve it. It was taken down, fixed up, repainted, and put in as a walking bridge at Hayswood, so now there is access to that side. Other than the walking trail, however, there isn't anything over there. Some of it is wooded, some of it open. I honestly think there is enough over there to have close to if not a complete 18, but it might be fun to have it on both sides of the creek so you get to walk over the bridge.
I'd love to be a tour guide if you guys wanted to look at it some day. I already have ideas myself, but I'm sure a bunch of other people would too.

MarcusGresham
09-05-2012, 03:50 PM
OK, I had to go over to the building where the parks office is located (sadly, neither Ron Swanson or Leslie Knope were available,) and talked for a couple of minutes to Claudia, the woman in charge, and just like Shawn said, the board is in favor of everything. She said as far as Hayswood is concerned, both sides of the creek are fair game.
I know there are some woods on the main side that are set to be a nature preserve forever and aren't to be used, but that really won't matter with the amount of other available land.
She said that really the only thing needed is someone to spearhead the fundraising.
Anybody wants to look at it all just let me know.

martin
09-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Im interested

G1nked
09-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Way I understand the parks will pay for Hayswood& South Harrsion Park. We need to come up with funds for BUFFALO

Daniel
09-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Once the courses at SHP and Hayswood go in the board wants exactly that a tournament for Harrison County,which would be buffalo trace, south Harrison park and Hayswood. They seem very on board for a huge tournament in the future for their parks. A lot of work to get these courses in but over time we are going to have a plethora of awesome courses with an hour away. I hate to talk a lot about it not to jinx us but it sounds like the sky is the limit

Can anyone say worlds??? hee hee hee! Expand BT's course and make the most of the new ones and watch out!

It's great to hear that they're really behind you guys. I hope I feel good enough to help and then play them...

MarcusGresham
09-06-2012, 12:39 AM
I mentioned how you guys had done such a great job creating the temp holes at BT that a lot of the work was kind of done and she said one of the only things they were worried about is the safety of the walkers. I know the first temp hole was along the path but really you could see anyone coming. The only hole where there should be any real danger of hitting someone who can't see you (or vice versa) is the dam hole.

Adam
09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree safety is very important, but just because the first temp hole was there doesn't mean that's where the permanent hole has to be.

MarcusGresham
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Martin and I are probably going to go take a look at the land tomorrow around 1:00 or 1:30. If anyone else wants to come that's cool. If you're coming from Louisville or that area you'd probably want to get with him.

MarcusGresham
09-07-2012, 09:05 AM
OK, we've postponed the tour for now. Maybe next week?

Adam
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Did you get my text? I'm down either this or next Monday.

MarcusGresham
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I didn't see it come through, but I checked the phone and it's there. This upcoming Monday probably isn't good because I only have about a spare hour and I'll be eating somewhere during that time. The 17th I can probably meet with you about 1 or so.