PDA

View Full Version : Worlds in Charlotte

Airborne
07-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Well, I'm here at the hotel and about to go out and get a round in somewhere. They have this computer for guests so I will try to let you know how I'm doing or anything else interesting. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Kao
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Good luck Steve and anyone else who is from the area.

captain plastic
07-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Hope to run into you over there Steve. I will be there on Sunday.

Airborne
07-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I got up early this AM and played a round at Eastway Park. It was a fun/tough course to play. As in all the courses I've played while here, you can tell the locals have put in ton of work to get the courses ready. They deserve a big "Attaboy". I then went to Sugaw Park. Another tough course! A lot of the holes are reachable even for me, but there are several that can really bite you if you don't watch what you're doing. My favorite today was Idlewild (not that Idlewild), very tight fairways, you must keep it in the clear. Holes 8 & 9 have water that comes into play. The lake is really down right now, but the area is still marked with OB markers. Nine is really tough cause your throwing over the lake and the basket is right on top of the dam. Go too far and your down about 25Ft behind the dam and if your short, you stand a good chance of rolling into the water. Tomorrow, I will head to Bradford Park, Hornets Nest and back to Idlewild. Sunday I plan to hit Sugaw, Bradford and Idlewild again. I will try to post something everday to let you all know a little about the 2012 Worlds.

Justin
07-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Here's how Dan's and my day went:
So we got drenched playing R.L. Smith today. Random thunderstorm rolled in on us as we were on hole 14. It was pretty badass! Also, tons of people here at the hotel. We rode the elevator with some people from Japan who questioned why we were so drenched. Talked to Dave Greenwell. On our ride here we played Morningside Disc Golf course in Knoxville. That's a nice course and I'd definitely take a day trip back to play there or would enjoy playing in a tournament there. Bums live on hole 2. I pissed right next to their camping spot. I may give a few more updates.

captain plastic
07-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Bradford is very similar to CV. Par 58 with reachable yet hard holes.
Charlotte is disc golf superland!

illyB
07-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't freakin wait for this. Updates a plenty coming up.
We have Justin, Daniel, Steve, Dave, Sam, and I trying for world titles. Who am I missing?

Airborne
07-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I laughed about me trying for a world title. What's the chance of that? I'm tickled to have been invited, I'm going to play hard and enjoy the experience. It didn't start out good for me this Sunday AM, my car wouldn't start. It seems to be a dead battery for some reason. I'm now waiting for AAA to get me going again. I'm burning day light! I learned three new words this morning. By the way, I got a good deal on a new bag at the PDGA store here at the Blake Hotel, so I will have a used Revolution Bag for sale. It's in good shape, $20.

G1nked
07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll give you five if you drop it off

illyB
07-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Just played Renny gold with Sam and Scott. Played really well until a torrential rain hit us with 5 holes to go. Plan on hitting nevin in the am. Disc golf heaven here!

Airborne
07-15-2012, 08:28 PM
My day didn't start out too well, my car wouldn't start this AM. I had to have it towed to a shop where they replaced a battery and a sepentine belt. I rented a car because I didn't want to sit around all day and didn't know how long they would take to get it fixed. Now I have to walk up tomorrow morning and pick up my car and then take the rental back to the airport. Justin said he would follow me to the airport and bring me back to my hotel. I did manage to get a round in at Bradford Pk course. It was also a lot of fun to play, other than getting swarmed by some ground nesting yellow jackets. I was stung about a dozen times, but being the old pro I am, I carried on. I hope to get in 3 solid rounds in tomorrow and then just relax until Tues AM when things get started. Charlotte would be a great town to take a DG vacation.

LtDan914
07-15-2012, 10:54 PM
My day didn't start out too well, my car wouldn't start this AM. I had to have it towed to a shop where they replaced a battery and a sepentine belt. I rented a car because I didn't want to sit around all day and didn't know how long they would take to get it fixed. Now I have to walk up tomorrow morning and pick up my car and then take the rental back to the airport. Justin said he would follow me to the airport and bring me back to my hotel. I did manage to get a round in at Bradford Pk course. It was also a lot of fun to play, other than getting swarmed by some ground nesting yellow jackets. I was stung about a dozen times, but being the old pro I am, I carried on. I hope to get in 3 solid rounds in tomorrow and then just relax until Tues AM when things get started. Charlotte would be a great town to take a DG vacation.

Sounds like a rough day. Hopefully tomorrow you have some better luck.

Justin
07-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Charlotte would be a great town to take a DG vacation.

Yes it is.

Here's my rant for the day:
Woke up this morning to a wonderful buffet breakfast supplied by the hotel. Got the players pack which is pretty decent. Bought some discs and minis from the mobile store and bought a few more JK Aviars from the flymart at the events site at Renaissance. Had credit line problems, but got that all solved. Played Hornet's Nest and Winget and then chilled with Paul Priest and others at a pretty cool restaurant/bar that had ping pong, chess, cornhole, connect 4, and giant jynga. Overall a pretty good day besides the credit card problems. A longer rant then yesterday's, and probably not as interesting, but I'll keep 'em coming anyway.

captain plastic
07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I love Charlotte! Today I drove a lot, hit some putts, threw some drives, lost
$5 to Billy, watched Scott throw 400 foot stakers, ate some ok food, drank
5 beers, saw a Greg Barsby Climo impersonation, got a speeding ticket,
laughed tons and for the most part had a great time. Glad I have disc
golf in my life.

Will report more tomorrow.

LtDan914
07-15-2012, 11:19 PM
got a speeding ticket

Did you get it in NC when driving down. I got one last time coming to charlotte. NC is bad about that and the speed limit is never over 65.

Daniel
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Did you get it in NC when driving down. I got one last time coming to charlotte. NC is bad about that and the speed limit is never over 65.

That's good to know...we just went through there about a month ago (to Charleston, SC) and I never was below 80, especially through the mountains. Plus, gas was less than $3/gal!

Justin
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Got to practice the final two courses that we will play in the tournament today. On the last hole of our first round today at Angry Beaver, we played mob golf with a group of 7. I was part of the largest ever disc golf players meeting. It was kind of cheesy, but pretty cool. Ate dinner at Fuel Pizza downtown. Ready to start the tournament tomorrow. Kicking it off by playing one round at R.L. Smith. Pumped!

Justin
07-17-2012, 10:20 PM
First round today was tee times, one round at R.L. Smith. There was a huge delay with tee times and we did not find out what ours were until 11:30 last night. My actual play was decent. On the back 9 I shot a -2, but I really botched the front nine and overall shot +7 for a 61. That was probably due to nerves and eventually I settled down. The flymart was awesome and I got many of the pros signatures and the rest I will still try and get throughout the week. Bring on rounds 2 and 3 tomorrow!

Airborne
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Played the first round at Sugaw. I seemed to be throwing well, but those little brushs and ticks of the limbs of the trees just killed me on about 6 holes. Plus 2 putts that hit the chains solid and bounced out. I shot a 64 on the first round, and came back from lunch with the mind set that I had to do better. Well I knocked off 8 strokes and shot a 56. We play again today at 2 at Idlewild. Must keep that same mind set today.

captain plastic
07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Played Renny Gold yesterday, Nevin and Bradford today. Pretty much
stunk it up out there. Half way through and tons of room for improvement.
Must play better. Weather has been hot, hot, hot.

Seen some great shots - playing with people from all over the world is
very fun.
Enjoy

LtDan914
07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Have played R. L. Smith, Hornets Nest and Kilborne the past two days. Decent rounds at RL Smith and Kilborne but poor at the Nest. I think I am in the top eight though so I will see If I can make a move and get my goal of top ten. The Great Shuffle is tonight though so we will see for sure where I am overall. No matter the outcome though it has been fun playing and seeing all the big names in disc golf in the same place.

LtDan914
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Tied for 16th after the great shuffle. 2 strokes off 5th; 6 strokes off third and 12 off first. 3 rounds left and then a semi final of 72 people and a final 9 of 4 people if I can make it. Lets see if we can bring a world champ back to louisville.

Justin
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Kind of bummed out. I shot fairly well today, but still ended up in the third pool. I was one stroke off being in the second pool and now because I'm in the third pool which is top of the bottom two pools, I have a 1:40 tee time for tomorrow. I don't like this because I like to wake up early, so I might as well shoot a round. I don't want to wait around to play. At least I'm still in it to cash. We'll see how the final three rounds play out.

Justin
07-19-2012, 10:27 PM
While waiting around for my tee time, I watched some of The Open Championship. Once again shot a 61 at R.L. Smith by shooting horrible on the front 9 and shooting a -2 on the back 9. Went to Mattie's Diner to eat. Had a delicious burger called the Cowboy which was a burger with bacon, bbq sauce, and onion rings. I also had one of their signature deserts which was a fried oreo sundae which is absolutely delicious and the reason we went since we heard about it from a friend. I then played bocce with discs in the parking lot across from our hotel with Daniel, Billy, Sammy, and Scott. We played best to 10 and I won that. Overall a pretty good day, just wish I would have shot better on the course. Last two rounds tomorrow. I'm right around 162 and my goal is top 150. I'm pretty sure I can achieve that.

captain plastic
07-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Just got back from Charlotte. Had a great time hanging with friends and many
crazy disc golfers. My play was less than I desired. Oh well there is always the
next tournament.
Played with people from around the world and around the US which is always cool
to see their take on the game.

Until next time.

G1nked
07-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Sammy is still the man regardless in my book. Way to represent to all participants from the 502

LtDan914
07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
To wrap up Worlds, I finished in 25th out of 288 advanced players and won $160 worth of merchandise which I could get from a couple different vendors. I wish I could have played better because I know I could. I still had fun though meeting lots of different disc golfers and playing some amazing courses. I will say you locals better watch out because I have learned a lot from this trip and will be ready for the next tournaments. I was also able to add a few new courses to my list of played courses as well.

MarcusGresham
07-22-2012, 01:58 AM
That's top 10% and I'd feel pretty safe making a wager that you've been playing a hell of a lot less time than the people who beat you.