PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Buffalo Trace Open

nick murphy
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
http://louisvillediscgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/BTO_2012_web.jpg

6th Annual Buffalo Trace Open
August 11th, 2012

A single day P.D.G.A sanctioned B-tier tournament!
Two rounds of 27 at Buffalo Trace Park in Palmyra, Indiana.

Minimum of $500.00 added to the pro purse!

Open - $70
All Other Pros - $60
Advanced - $50
Intermediate & Recreational - $30
Novice & Juniors - $25

If you're not a current PDGA member add 10$

All divisions offered for women and all amateur women will receive $5.00 off of entry.
Must have four to start a division.

All times are in Eastern Time Zone
Players Meeting at 8:30 AM
Tee off 9:00 AM

Field is limited to 110 players!
Players package for all amateur players.

https://buffalotraceopen.com/registration.php

Mail in entries can be sent directly to the Tournament Director
Nicholas Murphy
1368 Country Club Rd.
Corydon, IN 47112

Camping Available at the park right beside the Disc Golf Course!

Go to http://www.harrisoncoparks.com/BTP.html for more information on camping.

Have any questions? Contact the Tournament Director
Nicholas Murphy
Phone: 1-812-736-9674
Email: xcf202@gmail.com

MarcusGresham
06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Any word on the artwork?

nick murphy
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
You can now sign up online now!

If you run into any problems signing up please let me know.

nick murphy
06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
You may run into problems loading the site today. If you do try again in a few hours and if doesn't work then everything should be good tomorrow. I updated the registration form and with doing that the site isn't loading for everyone yet.

nick murphy
06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
The players package for this year will be a t-shirt and a mini clipboard and some type of snack for your bag.

nick murphy
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Just a note we will being giving away mini clipboards in the players package. I will be updating this thread with more information here in the next day or so.

nick murphy
07-22-2012, 10:05 AM
The clipboard that will be in the player packages.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/319299_498767156803338_604215230_n.jpg

nick murphy
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Today is the last day for you to sign up and be guaranteed your shirt size! So get signed up for the BTO!

G1nked
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Temp holes are layed out and marked now. A through H with white paint and an X where the basket will be placed the day of the tournament. Depends when the baskets arrive if they will be out prior to the tournament the day before or not.
Some people have played the temp holes previously from 2009 which will incorporate the lake moreso then last year.
Guaranteed to be the best tournament ever!

MarcusGresham
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Temp holes are layed out and marked now. A through H with white paint and an X where the basket will be placed the day of the tournament. Depends when the baskets arrive if they will be out prior to the tournament the day before or not.
Some people have played the temp holes previously from 2009 which will incorporate the lake moreso then last year.
Guaranteed to be the best tournament ever!

If it's as damn hot as it has been I may throw into the lake on purpose just so I can wade in to get it.

Terry Glass
07-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Shawn, Jim and I will try to get som acurate hole distances on Wed. and post those too. Remember to park at the shelter by the camping area whenever your out there.

On hole B there will be a long and short loc. due to the water. B is the damn shot. On hole D there is a long and short due to the length of the long loc. It is 420 ft. everything else will be from the same pad loc.

There is also an orange flag at each basket loc.

MarcusGresham
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Shawn, Jim and I will try to get som acurate hole distances on Wed. and post those too. Remember to park at the shelter by the camping area whenever your out there.

On hole B there will be a long and short loc. due to the water. B is the damn shot. On hole D there is a long and short due to the length of the long loc. It is 420 ft. everything else will be from the same pad loc.

There is also an orange flag at each basket loc.

Is that the "damn" shot or the "dam" shot? Guess it depends on where you land.

Also, if you want to just go out there and check out the temp holes you can drive all the way through the park and park over by the softball fields, or even park outside the back entrance and walk in for free, as the walk from the campground to the temp holes is pretty far.

nick murphy
08-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Haven't signed up for the BTO? What are you waiting for? This is going to be a great tournament so get signed up soon!

Terry Glass
08-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Here is a map of the temp hole layout. The distances are as follows.

A = 390
B = 250
C = 265
D = 420
E = 300
F = 250
G = 280
H = 215

Earlier I had said there would be 2 short pads. That has been reviesed to no shorts period. There will be a drop zone on the water shot. If a player feels unsure about making the drive. They have the option to go to the drop zone and take a two stroke penalty.

Ironman
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Is the walk between F and G closer then it looks?
Also has H ever been used before? I don't recall seeing that one before.

nick murphy
08-04-2012, 03:30 PM
We'll be supplying water bottles around the course to keep everyone hydrated!

Adam
08-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I believe there have been temp holes in the past in the area of G and H.

I'll be at the tournament Nick and I'll pay at Thursday leagues at Buffalo if you're there.

G1nked
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
H is new but similar spot Steve

illyB
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
New holes look nice and I'm guessing we play these after hole 5.? I'm not sure I've played all those before. Can't wait. I do remember a damn shot in the past but it seemed longer than 250.

G1nked
08-04-2012, 10:42 PM
1-5 then A-H then 6-19 then rinse and repeat.
and yes B is the dam shot and its 250 something.

illyB
08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks Shawn. Another question. Leagues are being moving to buffalo trace this thursday? Are we going to play the extra holes for this? It would be great if we could but might me tough to do as far as time and baskets are concerned. Maybe starting at six or even earlier would work?

themick
08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I agree with billy ill be up earlier Thursday @ be there till sunday ill like to play extra holes also ill have my basket with me if u need it

Terry Glass
08-05-2012, 10:03 AM
It is a short hike up to G after you finish playing H. To the right of H's basket you will see a hiking trail. It will take you right to the tee for G. As far as playing the temp holes on Thurs. night. We wont have enough baskets untill sat. Eddie Whalen is bringing four of his. The other 4 are being supplied by Shawn, Jim, Nick and I.

themick
08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
When will they be marked id like to practice them some thursday anyway if no baskets r there thats fine.

G1nked
08-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Practice on Mick, the temps are marked with white paint and flags. I say if enough folks wanted to bring baskets for leagues feel free. Otherwise as Terry mentioned the baskets will be out Saturday Morning. if you feel like it hit me up Mick.

LtDan914
08-06-2012, 11:03 PM
For those who may not be able to practice the temp holes before hand, here is a video I made while I was at the course. I just walk through the holes and give my thoughts on them. I also lost two discs and I will give a reward if they are returned. The discs were an orange Z Hornet and a yellow E* Destroyer. The video quality is pretty poor because I wanted to make this video pretty quick and did not feel like waiting forever to upload a high quality video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3MWSTXj19k

illyB
08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Very nice video walk through Daniel. Thanks for doing that. Practicing in my head now!

MarcusGresham
08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
According to weather.com, Saturday in Palmyra will be partly cloudy with a high of 80 and a 10% chance of rain. Don't think you could get much better in August, especially the way this summer has gone.

G1nked
08-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks for that video Daniel. We are lobbying to keep some of these wooded temp holes we are just waiting for the parks permission. Possibly the last two maybe even more. Our long term goal is 36 holes probably 3 at a time which will be funded through the Buffalo Chips no help from the park.

nick murphy
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Only 29 spots left for the BTO get signed up soon!

ccrain
08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
We are lobbying to keep some of these wooded temp holes we are just waiting for the parks permission. Possibly the last two maybe even more.

My vote is for F, G & H. The selling point could be minimal interference with the walking path and probably wouldn't require that much extra maintenance on the park's part.

Not sure who did hole "G" but kudos, I like that hole.

Terry Glass
08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I would like to say thanks to Daniel for the walk thru video. Nice representation and thanks for the heads up on potential problem areas.

As far as permanent hole locations on that end of the park we will do some tweeking for sure. We will definetly get some advice from other players. As for the dam shot; it will never be a permanent hole. There is a law against digging a hole in a dam. Maybe it could be on the backside of the dam or far left. There is a potential for a big hole there, but as I say, its up in the air.

I am looking forward to this tourny and tomorrow we will be out there after 4 pm to do some more work. We are gonna plant flags and signs on each tee. The signs will have hole letter and distance.

Thanks for your support. The Buffalo Chips will continue to improve the park.

MarcusGresham
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
If there were a threat of rain I'd suggest you could take some of the rubber mats from existing holes and use them on the temp holes to avoid getting big mud spots, but the weather looks great so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for digging on the dam, how did Dubois get away with it on the new course up there? I guess maybe it's far enough to the end of the dam, but it seems to me from memory that it's still on it.

MarcN27
08-08-2012, 09:50 AM
marc nethery 45209

nick murphy
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Only 17 spots left! Get in before it's to late! We'll have a waiting list.

Terry Glass
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
If there were a threat of rain I'd suggest you could take some of the rubber mats from existing holes and use them on the temp holes to avoid getting big mud spots, but the weather looks great so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for digging on the dam, how did Dubois get away with it on the new course up there? I guess maybe it's far enough to the end of the dam, but it seems to me from memory that it's still on it.

I'm not sure Marcus. All I know is the park manager told me that it was not allowed. They have dam inspectors come out periodicaly and check things out.

We have some updates on the temp holes. More acurate measuments thanks to Adam, Martin and Shawn. They used the GPS method on the dam hole and got real distances. Everything remains the same except for B and G.

B long is 315
B short is 220 and will be used as a drop zone for the long pad if you are OB in the water. If you go OB over the walking path you will play 1 meter relief from the point your disc crossed the OB line.

B short will be played by Women, rec., and every category below. Yes, we have one short pad for the tourny and thats all. As of right now there is no sign up for B short. I will add one on Friday. There are two flags marking its location.

G is actually 300 ft. instead of 280

Today Shawn and I installed signage and flags on all the temp. holes.

Have fun practicing and keep your discs dry.

Ironman
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
B long is 315
B short is 220 and will be used as a drop zone for the long pad if you are OB in the water. If you go OB over the walking path you will play 1 meter relief from the point your disc crossed the OB line.

B short will be played by rec., and every category below. Yes, we have one short pad for the tourny and thats all. As of right now there is no sign up for B short. I will add one on Friday. There are two flags marking its location.

Crap i thought i read that B was going to be 250 for everyone. I hope there is a lay up area for people like me who do not throw 315 on a regular basis, let alone completely over water. Let the splashing begin. LOL

nick murphy
08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Crap i thought i read that B was going to be 250 for everyone. I hope there is a lay up area for people like me who do not throw 315 on a regular basis, let alone completely over water. Let the splashing begin. LOL

Everyone was going to play from the long pad but the more I thought about that the idea did not sound so good. So we came up with this yesterday.

Ironman
08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Everyone was going to play from the long pad but the more I thought about that the idea did not sound so good. So we came up with this yesterday.

Sounds good Nick, didnt mean to sound whiny. We all love the BTO tournament. And thanks in advance to everyone involved to make this BTO just as fun as the ones in the past.

nick murphy
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Sounds good Nick, didnt mean to sound whiny. We all love the BTO tournament. And thanks in advance to everyone involved to make this BTO just as fun as the ones in the past.

Haha. I know you wasn't whining just explaining the reason behind the call.

MarcusGresham
08-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Steve, there are some of us in intermediate who may not be able to throw it 315 either. Like me.

G1nked
08-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Remember when coming out that active duty and retired military gets in free of charge just provide some proof of service at the toll booth and they will wave your cars entry fee.
Not to be confused with community service.

Adam
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
For anyone playing the long pad on hole B that doesn't think you can make it over the water you can always take your putter and lay up before throwing over the water. It's a little over 100 feet from the tee pad to the bench so there's room to lay up and play it safe.

MarcusGresham
08-09-2012, 12:34 PM
...also not convinced I can toss a putter 100 feet. lol

Will Burke
08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Well Marcus what you'll probably have to do is just keep tossing your putter a few feet on the in bound side of the side walk all the way around the lake, until you reach the basket.

nick murphy
08-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Only 9 spots left!

mdwamp
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe I missed this in the thread somewhere....which divisions will play the short tees?

nick murphy
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe I missed this in the thread somewhere....which divisions will play the short tees?

There will only be one short pad in the tournament and that will be on temp hole b. This will only be played by recreational and below.

illyB
08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
You guys know if anyone is cooking for lunch? I remember someone has in previous years.

MarcusGresham
08-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't think so, Billy. There are three or four options. Subway, the Pal Diner, Leroy's, and the Save-a-Step gas station on the corner actually has some decent quick food.

G1nked
08-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Rumor has it were having burgers via Sparrow. You heard it here first if it happens if not that's how rumors get started.