PDA

View Full Version : Dubois County Park - (Southern Indiana)

scottyb
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
After a long 5 years of working with the Dubois County Park committee we FINALLY are getting a disc golf course. HB barely beat out Dave McCormick for the job, it really came down to who could get it done the fastest and with the best design that was least intrusive. I had my hand in it and wanted to do the design install myself, but a wife, a job, and my wife's business all come before disc golf unfortunately. Long story short HB did a great job with the design and wanted my input on a lot of it, so I appreciated that.

It should be ready to play by June 1st, 6800 ft of awesome, lots of water, OB, etc. It's about 5 minutes south of Jasper Indiana.

Here is a link to the Course location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fairground+Rd+Huntingburg,+IN+47542&hl=en&ll=38.316878,-86.87645&spn=0.006532,0.013937&sll=38.317476,-86.877919&sspn=0.006532,0.013937&t=h&hnear=Fairground+Rd,+Huntingburg,+Dubois,+Indiana+ 47542&z=17

Here is HB's design, hard to see but it's just how I imagined it.

http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/DuboisCountyIN.html

Any questions give me a shout.

Kao
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to play it!

MarcusGresham
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Opens June 1st----when's the first tournament?!

scottyb
05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
No clue, next year I'm sure. Is that an offer to be the TD?

MarcusGresham
05-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Grossly unqualified.

scottyb
05-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Grossly unqualified.

If you graduated high school you can pass the pdga test, open book, I don't know anyone who is over enthusiatstic about being a TD, truth is it progresses the sport and opens eyes for new courses, southern Indiana is a hot spot for courses right now, population lacking but great volunteer disc golfers it is not!

upfromtheashes
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm looking forward to checking this one out sometime soon.

scottyb
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm looking forward to checking this one out sometime soon.

Baskets should be in tomorrow from DGA, posts have been set for the signs and holes dug for the anchors (baskets). Just need to get them concreted in, tee's should come after that. But the park is doing those, hope to get the forms in soon for the longs, then the short tees will be later down the road. Wheeled the front nine this morning at a cool 3409 ft.

Kao
05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the update Scotty.

ccrain
05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Opens June 1st----when's the first tournament?!

Awesome! I'll be at Holiday World that same weekend camping with 2 other friends and their families. This is a yearly trip for us and we've always been bummed since there wasn't a course close by for us to get a round in. With this being only 19 miles away our problem is solved. Hopefully it makes the June 1st opening date so we can play it on the 2nd.

mdwamp
05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Cabe, you need to change your signature.

MarcusGresham
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Awesome! I'll be at Holiday World that same weekend camping with 2 other friends and their families. This is a yearly trip for us and we've always been bummed since there wasn't a course close by for us to get a round in. With this being only 19 miles away our problem is solved. Hopefully it makes the June 1st opening date so we can play it on the 2nd.

Your problem is somewhat solved, but there are other courses not too far away. Owensboro has several. I haven't played any of them, but I'm told at least a couple of them are pretty nice, and it's probably about 25 miles or so south of Santa Claus. I have played Vastwood Park in Hawesville (across the river from Cannelton,) and I can vouch for it being a pretty good course. It's probably even close than Owensboro.

scottyb
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
19 miles seems like a stretch, unless you are camping at Lincoln SP. I work near HW and it takes maybe 15 mins to get there and that includes going through Ferdinand (at 30 mph). Marcus is right, Vastwood is definitely fun as well, not sure how the mowing is there but I've heard its pretty on and off, I'd think it would be mowed being as close to Memorial Day weekend as it is. Patoka Lake (personal favorite) isn't far away as well.

ccrain
05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
19 miles seems like a stretch, unless you are camping at Lincoln SP. Patoka Lake (personal favorite) isn't far away as well.

We are staying a Lincoln SP this year. We flip-flop between there and Camp Rudolph each year. I never knew Vastwood existed so we will probably hit that one next year. Pretty pumped about playing a course the day after it opens. I live in Palmyra so Patoka is just a 30-35 min drive from the house.

Wampler: I'll change it when I hit #2. Radcliff could've just been a fluke.

scottyb
05-29-2012, 12:40 PM
delivery truck with the baskets broke down in Texas last Thursday so it will be at least this Thursday before the baskets arrive, doubtful it will be ready by this weekend.

ccrain
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
delivery truck with the baskets broke down in Texas last Thursday so it will be at least this Thursday before the baskets arrive, doubtful it will be ready by this weekend.

That's a bummer! Looks like we will try and hit Vastwood this weekend.

scottyb
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
That's a bummer! Looks like we will try and hit Vastwood this weekend.

Yeah it stinks, oh well what can you do, Vastwood is a blast, I love the elevation changes there.

jobwilson82
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Cabe,
If you're staying at Lincoln SP, Yellow Creek in Owensboro would be closest. Since they've expanded US 231, you can get to Yellow Creek in 15-20 minutes. It's right off of US 60/231. Also, I played Vastwood a few weeks ago and the rough was THICK. Yellow Creek is a much more enjoyable round, IMO.

scottyb
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
signs and baskets are in... should be sometime later this month for tee pads..

MarcusGresham
06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Heading that way in mere moments

Daniel
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
So, how wooded is this course? Or, is it more "lightly wooded" like Radcliff?

scottyb
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
One hole is in the woods, its a smaller one though, the rest is fairly open with old and young trees.

If you go, PLEASE do not park by hole 1, park in the big gravel parking lot by the walking track. Its just west of hole 1 on the south side. Hole 18 finishes by the walking track anyways, thanks.

MarcusGresham
06-09-2012, 12:44 AM
So, how wooded is this course? Or, is it more "lightly wooded" like Radcliff?

I went up there today. It's not overly wooded. I wish it would have been because it was ungodly hot without any shade. I honestly didn't make it through the last 5 holes because I started getting sick, but I liked what I saw. There's a lot of water (comes into play on the first 4 holes right off the bat. Most holes are 300+ and a couple 400 and 500. Some good elevation changes, too.
If you go, though, take a lot of water. One bottle may not do it as you're out in the open for the majority of the round. Ticks are thick, too. I knocked 4 or 5 off during the round and then had that many more when I got home.