PDA

View Full Version : Odd man out when playing league doubles. THOUGHTS / SUGGESTIONS

Mike_D
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Since i have been L.D. of the winter doubles league this season the odd player out AKA mulligan player has happened a couple times. Most times it's an AM player. I & other L.Ds. give said player 2 extra shots per hole as the choose.

I have been asked almost every time IF all the teams get 2 shots every shot, why not the mulligan man ?

I have read many others disc golfers thoughts on this matter from all over the U.S.
for example
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16569.html

I would like to know what you all think about this subject.

jobwilson82
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Mulligan man gets one shot.

captain plastic
02-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Ams get two
Pros get one

weeman
02-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I agree with the captain.

Mike_D
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I would really like to hear what an AM players feelings are on this matter as well.

I'm an AM & i'm kinda on the fence about this. on one side i understand the whole 2 per hole, Kinda makes you have to try to play your best / challenging BUT on the other side i understand where the player is coming from with the team have 2 shots every shot.

I would like to see AMs get 3 shots every hole. ( excluding O.C. when 2 is good )
When an AMs comes out to play league doubles he or she expects to be teamed up with a PRO ( no matter good or bad they are just better ) & when a AM gets the dreaded Mulligan draw that just puts a sour feeling on their round.

Airborne
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
The history has been that the Pro gets one mulligan and the AM gets two.

martin
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
1 pro, 2 am is a great rule

Problems, not all courses are created equally, whats fair at otter isnt fair at vettiner

Giving ams a second shot for every shot they take

Problems, not all ams are created equal, also this isnt equal to what a team does with each player having shots, an am who gets to take a shot everytime has little risk for any first shot they ever take

Different mulligan rules on different days

Problem, there will be confusion

Good luck on this one

Mike_D
02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
MARTIN i understand what your saying.

I think giving AM an extra shot every time has little to no risk for any first shot they ever take & is a little to much
Most i feel that would be fair would be 3 per hole at hard courses like but not limited to > C.V., S.L., B.T., F.F., instead of the 2 ( excluding O.C. when 2 is good )

Judge
02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I have played mulligan man many times. I do prefer to have a pro partner but when one is not avail the 2 shot rule is gold it really makes you think of what shot you take and when you take your mulligans. it also helps define your game and you learn where you might need 2 improve. plus generally a pro/am team is taking 4 shots total except in cases like 18 @ CV and i believe if i remember correctly CV 18 is 3 for mully.

jamesmcc
02-20-2012, 11:59 PM
The rule is 1 for pro and 2 for ams because leagues is to better your game and give u a competive chance also the pro am leagues is designed to give the ams a chance to watch and learn different shots from the pros a mully man only pays half the amount that a team pays so, that is the main reason he doesn't get the same amount of shots a team gets. Now if a mully wants to pay full amount of a team then maybe for ams he gets 2 for every shot but not pros they shouldn't need more than one mully per hole if that.

Ed Murphy
02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Most pro am teams don't take four shots total that would be 18 under i have seen a lot of 6 and 7 unders win. If you have a partner do they only get 2 or 3 throws?

MarcusGresham
02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
I've always kind of thought it was a massive disadvantage to only get a second shot twice a hole when every other team gets two cracks at every shot. Now that I'm more of an intermediate level I understand it a little better, but a true rec guy, I think, should get two shots for every shot.

Mike_D
02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Like what James had to say.

I think Mully player gets 2 per hole BUT we offer to buy 2 more at say $2.oo for the 3rd & $3.oo for a 4th ( caps at a total of 4 ) almost = out to be the cost of a 2 member team.

THOUGHTS on what i just said ?

martin
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
i would just keep it simple - 1 mully for pros - 2 for ams (maybe on holes that are par 4's they could have 3 mullys)

i would stay away from the extra cash

at that rate the pros or am mully shouldnt be able to win 100% of the pot (being that a team pays two entry fees to split the winnings) - a mully man would have to double their entry fee to win 100%

mdwamp
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
I think the am mulliman has a distinct disadvantage at 2 mullis per hole. Even at equal shots of two per lie he is at a disadvantage to a pro/am team. In my limited time playing, I haven't seen the am mulliman win.

I understand the money issue. MM should only win half of the pot unless he pays two entry fees. Maybe the club should get the other half? Same with the ace pool. If he hits an ace on his second shot, is that an ace? Maybe only if he pays two entries into the ace pool?

A possible way to level the playing field is allow 2 mullis per hole and short tees for the am player? Or maybe two shots per lie and 1 short pad per hole with a short pad.

festis
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Looking at the scores from the winter leagues I'd say whichever way it is being done now is putting the mully man at a huge disadvantage. Week 1 last place, week 2 6th of 10, week 5 last place, week 8 second to last place. Take the numbers and you decide.

Mike_D
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I kinda like the 2 per hole & all short pads. keep things plane & simple.

I will try this out this Sunday at FUN FARM if we happen to have a mully man

martin
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
fun farm has a short pad for 2 - and possibly one on 20 - its minimal - i would suggest adding a 3rd mulligan shot to the par 4's (hole 7, 11, 17, and 20 (if you are playing 22 holes))

Mike_D
02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
yeah i thought about that after i posted last. Sounds good

I agree with you Martin. Then so be it for FUN FARM 2 mully on par 3 holes & 1 extra for par 4 holes or higher plus all short pads when applies

Adam
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I like it, that sounds like a good compromise.

Bubby Hill
02-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I like the "Bub Rule", which is two extra shots per lie if you are over 50 years old but under five-foot-six. Works for me!

tonyscomputery
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
The problem with a AM MM is that now matter how many extra shots they get they are still ams. I would rather have James M as a partner then 30 mulligans at a 65 ft putt or have Martin as partner at SL standing on hole 15. As far as I am concerned no matter how may mullys I get I am still at a disadavantage to a Pro/Am team.

Mike_D
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Tony i agree & i'm working on the best way to minimize the disadvantage as much & as fair as i can.

what could you see being fair ?

tonyscomputery
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
To me it would make more cents to move someone up that is border line pro\am and have MM on Pro side. Pro with 1 mully can compete.

Mike_D
02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
This is hard to do when there are way more AMs coming out to play & how much better is it that you as an AM then get an AM partner then just deal with a MULLY ?

I'm trying my best to make this issue more equal

jobwilson82
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Here's the solution: If there is an odd man, Mike D should just sit out :D

Mike_D
02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
lol not happening BUT just to make everyone happy I'll be the MULLY MAN that way everyone is happy it isn't them

Hows that

John
02-23-2012, 06:36 AM
A lot of people enjoy being mully. If you draw the mully card, I think it would be real easy to trade it off if you feel that you being mully puts you at a disadvantage.
I also think that if the mully can run the table, he/she should expect full payout. Should also expect full payout for ace pool if they were to hit it.