PDA

View Full Version : Best courses of 2011

Adam
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Here's the DGCR best courses of 2011. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses/topcourses_2011.php) Idlewild is still near the top of the list, with Holler in the Hills and Lincoln Ridge also on the list.

There's also a separate list based only on reviews made in 2011 with a 10 review minimum. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses/topcourses_2011_rvwd.php) Idlewild is also near the top of this list as well and our own Seviren Lang DGC is ranked 23rd! Mt. Airy in and The Hill at Northview Church are also regional courses that made the list.

martin
01-02-2012, 12:08 PM
this is some great news - to anyone who has yet to go on dgcoursereview and rate and review the course - please do - i know we have far more then 15 or so golfers here in the area -

If you have played it check out this www.dgcoursereview.com (http://www.dgcoursereview.com) and let the whole world wide web know what kind of local golf course we have here in the region

Adam
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Four of the top 50 courses are within a reasonable distance; Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Holler in the Hills and Foundation Park.

Have you had a chance to play any courses on the list?

I've made it to those four plus Winter Park and the three Highbridge Hills courses. I was in Memphis a while back but couldn't play Bud Hill because of flooding.

martin
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I have had the chance to play Idlewild, Holler, and Lincoln Ridge locally - played Maple Hill last September and cashed in the open, one of the toughest courses i have ever played, played Water Works in Kansas City back in 2004 in about 3 feet of snow, and I played Diamond X in Billings, MT back in 2005 very cool desert course that plays along two mesas for two separate back 9's.

Looking to add Flyboy in the next couple weeks as a birthday present and to be my 150 course played.

As for the 2011 top courses - Hornets Nests, Cedar Hill, Golden Gate (when it was still a 9 hole), Seviren, Mt. Airy, Rogers Lakewood, Richmond Hill, and Seven Oaks.

Adam
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I hope you can get down there to check it out, that'll be a great b-day present. My best chance to get to Flyboy is when I visit my friend in Huntsville which is 3 hours away. I'm going to try to get to Sandy Point in Lac Du Flambeau, WI which is 3 hours away from the in-laws place in Green Bay. Those are probably the only top courses I'll have the opportunity to add this year.

Of the 2011 top courses I've played Seviren, Idlewild, Mt. Airy, The Hill, Rogers Lakewood, Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks, and Golden Gate. I'm hoping to add Handman Ace Hardware in Dayton this year.

jobwilson82
01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I have played Flyboy, Holler, Foundation, Severin Lang, Cedar Hill and Seven Oaks. I need to get to the Cincy area soon.

weeman
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Overall from the 2011 list I've enjoyed Blue Ribbon Pines, Idlewild, Steady Ed, Cedar Hill, Nevin, Severin, Mt. Airy, Richmond, Seven Oaks, Handyman Ace, and The Sinks. Only BRP and the Ed weren't played last year, and bad timing/injury kept me from playing Kensington Black Locust and Hornet's Nest. Got Flyboy on the schedule as well as possibly JP Moseley and East Roswell. Looking at getting to Indy and north after that for Lakewood, Camp Cullom, and whatever else is good if the weather cooperates.

Adam, you won't be disappointed with Handyman Ace. That place is awesome and well worth the time.

Adam
01-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Wyatt, be sure to read my reviews on DGCR of highly rated courses in the Indy area before you go. I don't expect you or others to agree with me, but there is some HBB going on there IMO. Brookside and Washington are both good courses despite being in rough neighborhoods.

weeman
01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Depends on how much time I can get there will determine which ones I first go to. Got some family there so it could go either way and have to space it out across a couple trips or I could do it all in one busy weekend.

MarcusGresham
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Wyatt, be sure to read my reviews on DGCR of highly rated courses in the Indy area before you go. I don't expect you or others to agree with me, but there is some HBB going on there IMO. Brookside and Washington are both good courses despite being in rough neighborhoods.

I've heard from others that Indy doesn't have much to choose from (and I know for a fact Bloomington doesn't,) but if you want to travel about an hour or so northeast of Indy I've heard good things about McCullough in Muncie and there's also a new course in Yorktown (just southeast of Muncie,) that's supposed to be really nice.

martin
01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Marcus - you didnt like the bloomington courses - I actually think Crestmont is rather fun and I had no idea that central Indiana had a ghetto - but it does - Crestmont is a small course that weaves through a number of trees - Karst Farm and some Church course are the other two - they werent worth the trip

Have you played Indian Springs in Trafalgar just north of Bloomington - it is a 9 hole ball golf course, you get a golf cart, all the holes have two pads and two baskets for multiple layouts - This was the predecessor to Old English - no where near the same size or quality but a fun course to play none the less

As for Indy - George Washington and Brookside are both great spots - just dont play them after dark.

Adam
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Indy has been growing a lot recently, but most new courses are on the north side with a few in the southwest. Many of them are beginner courses but that's often what an area needs to get more golfers and demand for tougher courses.

Muncie and the Peru area are both supposed to have some good courses.

I also recommend taking a friend with you at Washington and Brookside, like Mark : )

weeman
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I'll play anywhere at least once. If I don't like it or don't see some positive in the course (besides it just being there to say there's a course) I won't go back. Played in most all of the larger cities in the region within about 3 hours but never made it to Indy, even when I lived in Louisville. Guess I'm trying to make up for it. For my current location, I want to hit up Huntsville, AL and see what they have to offer, only if I could get on at Redstone Arsenal. Adam, you know anything about that?

Adam
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Huntsville has lots of quality courses, you should definitely go down there sometime. Just like Louisville, they don't really have any bad courses. The Athens Sportsplex is the weakest of the 18 hole courses there and I think I still rated it a 2.5. I haven't played Indian Creek (which is the highest rated course in Alabama) because it wasn't complete when I was last there, but I've played the rest. Florence, AL is supposed to have two good courses also but I haven't been there yet either.

I got lucky. I was able to get on the Redstone Arsenal because my friend that lives there has a friend who plays disc golf and used to work on the Arsenal so he had clearance. He also gave us a nice driving tour. That place is filled with history from when they developed and tested rockets for the Saturn and Opollo missions, cool stuff.

If you become a member of the Rocket City Chain Gang your name will be put on the list so you can get in, this is probably the easiest way to get in. Be sure to give them some time to get that updated before you go. You might be able to get in on days they have leagues there, but I'm not completely sure so double check that. You could also contact Lavone Wolfe or someone from the club and see if they'll take you in for a round. I believe Chain Gang members can get guests in but you'll want to double check that also.

So maybe the best thing to do is get on their forum and ask. http://www.rocketcitychaingang.org/

jobwilson82
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
The best course in Indy isn't even on dgcoursereview (Mohawk)
Valley View, which is a private course outside Lafayette is one of the best courses I've played. I'd put in my top 5 (Flyboy, T-2, Centralia, Mesker, Valley View) Championship caliber with a very high fun factor. I liken it to Foundation Park in Centralia.

Mike_D
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Indian Springs was a nice 18 hole course on a 9 hole golf course. you get a cart fo cheap on the south side of INDY

weeman
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Adam. I'll work on getting a hold of Lavonne. Met him in South Carolina last year, pretty nice guy with ages of experience. Would be cool to play a round with him and learn a ton of history of the game. Might try to plan that trip for late April or May sometime.

Justin
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Just visited northern Kentucky today and played both Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge/Banklick. Those are definitely quality courses and fun to play. Idlewild may have kicked my butt, but I still had a few good holes and part of that comes with not knowing the holes and what the best/safest way to play the hole may be. I think next time I go I should definitely do better. Banklick on the other hand was significantly easier, but IMO it is still just as good as Idlewild (and that may be due to me playing better). The elevation there definitely plays a big factor, but the surrounding trees, brush, etc really add to it. I had a great time, will definitely be back, and encourage anyone who has the opportunity to play these two courses.

martin
01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Played the upper and lower pulaski courses today With kyle and wyatt- great fun, some of the most beautiful tree threading layouts in kentucky
The lower is circa 1981 and the top is circa 1996, great complex
Lots of chances to launch your plastic accidently off the mountain into the abyss

Adam
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Adam. I'll work on getting a hold of Lavonne. Met him in South Carolina last year, pretty nice guy with ages of experience. Would be cool to play a round with him and learn a ton of history of the game. Might try to plan that trip for late April or May sometime.

And be sure to stop at his shop and look at all his discs on the wall.