PDA

View Full Version : Heading to BG...which course is best?

Daniel
08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey all,

It's been a loooooooong time since I've played in BG. I haven't played any of the "new" courses (Phil Moore, Basil, BGTC, Chalybeate, etc) yet. For those who have played them, which is the one you would play if you had the chance to play one round? I'm thinking BGTC but that's without seeing it or anything else...

Thoughts?

Airborne
08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Daniel,I played the BGTC a couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of const. going on and it was all messed up. I don't think it will be cleared up from what I saw. I wouldn't recommend P. Moore, it was a rather boring course to me. Basil Griffin is a fun course as is Lovers Lane. Hobson Grove can be a challenge. I would also recommend Holler in the Hills, that one will really tire you out. Have fun! Glad to see you playing again.

jobwilson82
08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Daniel, gotta be Kereiakes & Hobson.

martin
08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
i like the tech course - but I have heard its not being maintained well with the summer growth

i would choose holler in the hills by far the best in the area

weeman
08-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Preston Miller - playable but overgrown in spots
Tech College - overgrown, construction ridden... not worth the time. wait until colder months.
Hobson Grove- same as Miller
Ephram White - looking good
Chalybeate - taken care of from what i've heard recently
Holler - don't know the condition of it. had heard it was mowed but that was a few weeks ago. you'll have to email howie (lil_trumperboy@yahoo.com) about it. it's his land.
Kereiakis - same as White
Lovers - same as Kereiakis
Phil Moore - open holes are looking good, no idea on the wooded holes. flip a coin on whether they're taken care of. i don't play there except for BG Ams.
Basil Griffin - front nine is pretty much unplayable unless you want to skip two holes and walk way more than you have to. back nine is open for play.

If I was you, I'd go in the following order Holler, Kereiakis, Tech, White, Hobson, Lovers, Preston, Chalybeate, Griffin, Moore. Tech is the most difficult while Preston and Chalybeate are the easiest.

Let me know when you're coming down and I'll try to meet up with you if I'm in town.

Adam
08-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Holler is the premiere course in the area, Lovers Lane and Kereiakis are also very good. I've heard mostly good things about the BGTC, but haven't played there myself.

Basil Griffin was fun, but Wyatt says the front 9 isn't playable right now and he would definitely know best.

I played Chalybeate this summer and it was not taken care of. I would definitely skip it.

jeremy
08-24-2011, 07:18 AM
The four classic courses (Lover's, Keri, White, Hobson) plus Holler are really the only ones worth playing.

jobwilson82
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I didn't include Holler simply because you have to make reservations. I agree with everyone that if that's not an issue, play there.

Daniel
08-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to hit keriaekes once I'm finished with the doc. Weeman, you're welcome to join in, I just don't know when It's going to be...I hate docs...

Daniel
08-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I went to Kereiakes and had a good time. Shot a 46 with one shot I was proud of--put it within 30' of #5's long pin (uphill around the tree in the fairway). I think it plays something close to 510' or so when compensated for the elevation. Of course I missed the putt...dooh!