PDA

View Full Version : Hanging basket on hole #1!

nick murphy
07-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks to Terry & Shawn we now have a hanging basket on hole #1!

http://louisvillediscgolf.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=363&d=1310783728

MarcusGresham
07-16-2011, 01:39 AM
"....hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I won't be makin' par..."

G1nked
07-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Jim Reynolds was a crucial part of this project as well!

Daniel
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh Holy Crud! Is it located where the original placement was? Wouldn't the ladder make it *much* easier to park the hole by hitting or aiming for the ladder? Or, is it not there all the time?

LtDan914
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
"....hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I won't be makin' par..."

Awesome song.

The basket looks awesome too. I can't wait to get out there and play the course

J_VanOver
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't be doing my job (I'm a safety engineer in real life) in saying that the ladder does not meet OSHA regulations for proper railing for a stair. I don't think that OSHA would ever come into the park because I don't know how things are run in Indiana. 29 CFR 1910.23 (d) & (e). Just saying.

Other than that it looks good.

I have the same question in general as Daniel. You could just hit the ladder.

Again, it looks really cool and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have never played a course with a hanging basket.

MarcusGresham
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I just played it this morning and it's saaa-weeeet. Honestly, if you hit those stairs you might bounce out to be better parked but you could just as easily end up underneath it with a really difficult shot--bottom line, the stairs will giveth and the stairs will taketh away. To be honest if you get to where they are you probably wouldn't have enough velocity on your disc to go screaming past by much anyway (unless you seriously over-threw the hole and only the guys with really big arms---who tend to know when to let off anyway,) so I don't see it making much of an issue.

Ironman
07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
So, if the two meter rule is in effect and you end up on top of the basket, which is not considered in, and by my estimate it looks to be two meters above the ground. I would assume a stroke would have to be taken. Am I reading too much into this or is this a legitimate concern?

One solution would be for nick to never let the two meter rule become effective during the BTO.

MarcusGresham
07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
On top of the basket would be bad enough---try on top of the beam!

G1nked
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
The advisory board insisted on a handrail for safety reasons. The basket itself may be another 6ft to the right from original location. If the disc lands on top of the basket just as normal it would be a stroke. If it lands under the stairs it would be just like a ob island. The stairs are about two feet wide so it's not that big a ob I've seen nobody go under so far today I did hit the steps which left me directly beside the basket so I did a Vince Carter 360 windmill dunk for my par. It feels much better taking a 3 on it then it did before the hanging basket was installed. Give love a chance pick me up on the way out I'll be happy to school you the local route

martin
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
i like it - good job buffalo chips

all this talk of hitting the stairs on your drive - whatever - just means you threw a good shot - no real benefit

i dont think there should be any ob around the basket, it wouldnt fit with the flow of the course (there is no OB at buffalo, other then the typical water, property lines, roads, and paths)

if you havent checked it out - course looks great - terry, shawn, jim, and the rest of the chips have done a great job on basket placements between the new hanging 1 and the raised platform on 9 - good stuff

MarcusGresham
07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I heard next year Terry wants to put the #6 basket on an island in the middle of an alligator infested pond.

Daniel
07-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I just played it this morning and it's saaa-weeeet. Honestly, if you hit those stairs you might bounce out to be better parked but you could just as easily end up underneath it with a really difficult shot--bottom line, the stairs will giveth and the stairs will taketh away. To be honest if you get to where they are you probably wouldn't have enough velocity on your disc to go screaming past by much anyway (unless you seriously over-threw the hole and only the guys with really big arms---who tend to know when to let off anyway,) so I don't see it making much of an issue.
When I played it, I had a bit of a time keeping the power down and not blowing past it. It's not hard to throw past that hole, which ever arrangement it's in. (Yes, I had some serious power...key term being *had*...)

As it was, my original question was just my first thought in seeing it. It's a cool thing, just curious to see if there would be an "advantage" by hitting and stopping the disc under or close to the basket. If I ever get up there again, I'll see if I can try and hit the ladder to prove my point...hee hee hee!;)

Terry Glass
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Good impute guys. The question at hand is should we make under the stairs OB? Sounds like the general consensus is no. What if someone lands under the stairs in tournament play? Do you play your lie from directly above from the step? As far as hitting the stairs for an advantage; good luck. It could be as hard as getting an ace. If you hit wood at that velocity, it could go anywhere. You call it. We'll make it happen.

MarcusGresham
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
When I played it, I had a bit of a time keeping the power down and not blowing past it. It's not hard to throw past that hole, which ever arrangement it's in. (Yes, I had some serious power...key term being *had*...)

As it was, my original question was just my first thought in seeing it. It's a cool thing, just curious to see if there would be an "advantage" by hitting and stopping the disc under or close to the basket. If I ever get up there again, I'll see if I can try and hit the ladder to prove my point...hee hee hee!;)

Show Off!

MarcusGresham
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Good impute guys. The question at hand is should we make under the stairs OB? Sounds like the general consensus is no. What if someone lands under the stairs in tournament play? Do you play your lie from directly above from the step? As far as hitting the stairs for an advantage; good luck. It could be as hard as getting an ace. If you hit wood at that velocity, it could go anywhere. You call it. We'll make it happen.

I agree with Martin that I don't know if it should be OB (especially when you consider the majority of people who land under them will do so on a putt,) but I think if you're under it that's where you play it. Like I said earlier, the stairs will giveth and the stairs will taketh away.

jobwilson82
07-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Make it casual. Player plays behind the steps without penalty or can play from the steps. Rule of verticality says player can shoot from anywhere on a vertical plane as long as they have a supporting point.

G1nked
07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Make it casual. Player plays behind the steps without penalty or can play from the steps. Rule of verticality says player can shoot from anywhere on a vertical plane as long as they have a supporting point.

I concur.

Daniel
07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, casual. Is the rule of verticality still in play? If that was the case, you would be able to play it from the steps (assuming you were under it).

Sunspot
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM

As it was, my original question was just my first thought in seeing it. It's a cool thing, just curious to see if there would be an "advantage" by hitting and stopping the disc under or close to the basket. If I ever get up there again, I'll see if I can try and hit the ladder to prove my point...hee hee hee

Daniel, I hope you start feeling better so you can come play.

I like the basket. It makes hole one more interesting.

Terry Glass
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I am fine with casual play on hole one. I read the PDGA rule and it allows playing your lie directly above if your disc is under a hard surface.

G1nked
07-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I am fine with casual play on hole one. I read the PDGA rule and it allows playing your lie directly above if your dics is under a hard surface.

Awesome but what does it say about your frisbee?

Terry Glass
07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
What Frizzbee?

MarcusGresham
07-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Awesome but what does it say about your frisbee?

I'd say if you're in that condition you're realllllllly excited about your putt (and you probably need a higher release point.)

jobwilson82
07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
One suggestion: for the tournament, I would draw a line around the steps (and any other area you may deem casual) so there is no confusion within groups. Basically, a box that is the size of the land area consumed by the steps. If anyone's disc is inside the box, they have the option of moving behind the steps without penalty.

illyB
07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
That might cause more confusion. Just play above the surface using the law of verticality. Simple and happens all the time in other scenarios.

G1nked
07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I have played at least 12 rounds since installation and yet to see anybody go under the stairs as of yet the rounds consisted of all different styles and skill levels so casual with the vertical will be used less then expected I bet.

MarcusGresham
07-23-2011, 05:18 PM
I have played at least 12 rounds since installation and yet to see anybody go under the stairs as of yet the rounds consisted of all different styles and skill levels so casual with the vertical will be used less then expected I bet.

Not sure about being under the stairs, but I'd think after 12 rounds you'd run the risk of being under the table.

Daniel
07-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Yeah, but you haven't played a round with me...ha!

Daniel
07-24-2011, 04:22 PM
One suggestion: for the tournament, I would draw a line around the steps (and any other area you may deem casual) so there is no confusion within groups. Basically, a box that is the size of the land area consumed by the steps. If anyone's disc is inside the box, they have the option of moving behind the steps without penalty.
Nah, just use the rules in effect--rule of verticality. Just go straight up from where the disc is. Voila! Done.

zelevin
10-08-2011, 08:39 PM
This makes the turbo putt extremely useful.

G1nked
10-09-2011, 01:03 AM
This makes the turbo putt extremely useful.

75% of the time I do exactly that

jeremy
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't know how I missed this news/thread. VERY cool hole. I can't wait to play it. I have a REALLY simple solution for the ladder thing. A pulley. Install this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pulley&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12888510878720832109&sa=X&ei=wv2STqP3Jab20gHx2I1A&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAw#) on the beam above the basket. Tie a nylon rope to the top of the basket and run it through the pulley. Pull the rope to your desired height and tie a figure eight on a bight (http://www.breakawayadventure.com/Figure%208%20Knot%20on%20a%20Bite.html). Leave the loose end ("F" in the linked instructions) long enough to reach the ground. Screw a storage hook (like this (http://www.speedgoat.com/Images/products/111929.jpg)) into one of the side beams with the open mouth of the hook facing the ground and hook the loop of your figure eight on the hook.

This way you can remove the stairs and players would just lower the basket to get their disc. Once they had their disc thay would return the basket back to the proper height as established by the loop of the knot.

This would be a fine solution and wouldn't cost but an addition $20 or so in material. ;^)

MarcusGresham
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Unless you're very short you don't really need the ladder. I'm not quite 5'8" and I don't need the ladder. I just reach through the bottom of the basket, grab the disc and turn it vertical then gently toss it out and catch it.