PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming A Tier Events

Justin
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I was looking at the upcoming disc golf tournaments, and I realized that there are 3 A Tier events coming up that are all relatively close. I would be interested in playing in one or two of them, but I would want to go with someone. For those who don't know, here's the list:
May 21-22 SOKY Disc Golf Championships
May 28-29 2011 Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open
June 4-5 2011 Brent Hambrick Memorial Open

If anyone is interested in going to one of these with me, just let me know here.
Thanks,
Justin Marquess

MarcusGresham
05-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe Buffalo Trace could be an A-tier if Will would pony up some more cash!

Adam
05-09-2011, 09:25 AM
July 9-10 is the Madisonville Open in Madisonville, KY

Getting an A-tier isn't as easy as just having the money there. You also have to go through an approval process by the PDGA and it has to be done before the start of the year. That's at least partly why the Derby City Classic and Music City Open were not A-tiers even though they both met the minimum cash requirement. Next year is always a possibility for any of those tournaments, including Buffalo Trace.

jobwilson82
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
SOKY is a trophy only tournament, so everyone wants to play advanced or open so you get to play Holler.
Lower divisions play two rounds at White and Yakis.

martin
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Judge, Shawn, and I just played the Music City Open in Nashville - two great courses - big payouts - it was only a B Tier and it rivaled any National Tour Event

none of these A tiers other then the Hambrick will have the slate of top pros that were in Nashville this weekend -

a big tourney depends on the club support, $$, and most importantly where it fits on the calendar - Music City was a "perfect storm" - big events on both weekends surrounding it

Charlie Vettiner Open has similar timing - we will see

jobwilson82
05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
SOKY has Avery, Nate, Val, Dr. Rick for sure.. I think Feldberg has it on his schedule.

festis
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Justin, unless you are trying to get into the USDGC, which you will have to play advanced or open, stay away from the SOKY. If you want a steak dinner, pay me your entrance fee, I'll whip it up on the grill outside. I'll even give out trophies based on how quick you eat your steak dinner.

jobwilson82
05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Why so down on SOKY?

festis
05-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not down on the SOKY, Michael is playing. I'm just saying it's not am friendly. It is a USDGC qualifier. That makes good to go to if you plan on trying to qualify. If you want a trophy for your money, go for it. If you are looking for some points, go for it. But if you want to play for some real prizes stay away. My suggestion is to enter the open division as it is the only division worth driving down for. It cost quite a bit of money to go there from Louisville for two days.

jobwilson82
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Get to play Holler, awesome players pack and supporting Howie is reason enough for me.

festis
05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Supporting Howie is probably the best reason of all. Howie is a great guy, deserving of the support. Don't read too deep into my post about the tournament, it's only the opinion of one person, and should in no way sway the decisions of anybody wanting to play.

Justin
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I would rather have the opportunity to win some discs. I just want to play in one of them though just to say I played in an A tier.

MarcusGresham
05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
July 9-10 is the Madisonville Open in Madisonville, KY

Getting an A-tier isn't as easy as just having the money there. You also have to go through an approval process by the PDGA and it has to be done before the start of the year. That's at least partly why the Derby City Classic and Music City Open were not A-tiers even though they both met the minimum cash requirement. Next year is always a possibility for any of those tournaments, including Buffalo Trace.

I know, I was just kidding because Will has already gone far above and beyond by sponsoring an entire tournament himself.

jeremy
05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Supporting Howie is probably the best reason of all. Howie is a great guy, deserving of the support. Don't read too deep into my post about the tournament, it's only the opinion of one person, and should in no way sway the decisions of anybody wanting to play.
+1

Howie has given a ton to the sport. I can't imagine his event will be anything but awesome.

Adam
05-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I know, I was just kidding because Will has already gone far above and beyond by sponsoring an entire tournament himself.

I know, I just wanted to point out that getting an A-tier isn't as easy as simply having the money. And that's partly why we should be so proud of the CVO.

festis
05-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I would rather have the opportunity to win some discs. I just want to play in one of them though just to say I played in an A tier.

Here is another option, Justin, play in all of them and catch yourself enough points to get the Am Worlds invite. You'll have plenty of tourneys to win discs. Take Michael for example, he plays for points mostly, so our tourney decisions are mostly based on that aspect. A-tiers give the most points, so it makes sense to play as many A-tiers as possible. Don't be afraid to expand your horizon past just winning plastic.
And Howie gets a +10 just for the providing us one of the best courses in the state.

JohnnyNoPants
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm headed down to BG for this. Care to ride along, Justin?

martin
05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Points also come from just playing in divisions with more players

jobwilson82
05-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I urge all Ams to play advanced. It's not worth the trip to just play Yakis & White.

martin
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I second what Job says -

SOKY wont be like your every other weekend golf tourney -

louisville ams - what ever division you generally play - you all should sign up for advanced - best course line up for sure

no matter what am division you play in they all cost the same - and all you can win is a trophy -

Play advanced for sure and get to play Holler in the Hills

Justin
05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Nothing against you, but I would rather go with someone I know and I've never met you.

MarcusGresham
05-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I think you did meet Johnny, Justin. He was the one that was on your card for the first round at Seviren but jumped over to our card because we had 3 and you had 5.

Justin
05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
yeah, he pm'd me that and i pm'd him back. Things may actually change now that I know who he is. Thanks though.

JohnnyNoPants
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
If you decide to ride down with me, DO NOT look in the duffel bag in the back of my car. That is where I keep the heads of hitchhikers I pick up along the way, muahahaha!

festis
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Points also come from just playing in divisions with more players
Points factor is greater at A-tier though. Such as ADV playing in C-tier has points factor of 5 while ADV playing A-tier has a points factor of 10. Seeing as the vast majority of A-tier events have larger fields, if you are playing for points it is simply the best way to go. 38th place in rec at BG ams recieved over 600 points. Not many, if any B or C tiers can claim that.

Adam
05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
If you decide to ride down with me, DO NOT look in the duffel bag in the back of my car. That is where I keep the heads of hitchhikers I pick up along the way, muahahaha!

As long as you're not selling 7 minute abs like the hitchhiker in There's Something About Mary, I'm sure everything will be fine :): )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHVYuRnIjY&feature=related

Kao
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
As long as you're not selling 7 minute abs like the hitchhiker in There's Something About Mary, I'm sure everything will be fine :): )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHVYuRnIjY&feature=related

Funny you posted that Adam, its was the first thing that I thought of as well.

JohnnyNoPants
05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Seven chipmunks, twirling on a branch; eating lots of sunflowers, on my uncle's ranch!

That rocks!!! No 7 minute abs being sold here!

JohnnyNoPants
05-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone know if you have to check-in on Friday, or can you check-in on Saturday morning?

jobwilson82
05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I have spoken with Howie. You don't have to check in on Saturday, just show up at the course. You will be able to pick up your players pack at Howie's on Saturday afternoon (if playing ADV).
Dont know where you can get or if you stay in Rec.

JohnnyNoPants
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I am staying in Rec. I'm not quite at the skill level I need to be at to play higher divisions, yet. I just got a message from Howie. He said I can just show up at Lovers and get my player pack and info sheet there. Should be a great tourney, even though I'm playing Rec!

HiltonGarden
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
We have special rates if any of you are interested that include two breakfasts per day during the Ephraim White Disc Golf tournament on May 21 & May 22. Just call 270-438-1072 for any information. Thanks!