PDA

View Full Version : Another meeting with Charlestown Mayor Hall this week...

EddieBTrue
05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
All,
I was contacted by Charlestown Mayor Hall's secretary last Friday about a follow meeting towards the goal of a course[s] in Charlestown; and we're supposed to confirm an appointment tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be more positive information coming out later in the week. No, this doesn't mean anything definitive; but at least the proverbial disc continues to roll along like a DLG roller on #15 at SL!!!

BTW, if you haven't made contact with the mayor's office about your interest in a course in Charlestown, please, please reach out to them.

Kao
05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed Roger, I hope they have good news!

MarcusGresham
05-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Just a thought, but if you have a copy of the magazine handy maybe you could take that to him just to give some indication that there is a strong disc golf community around the country/world. In particular show the page that lists all the tournaments because bringing in out-of-towners to eat at restaurants, fill their gas tanks, and stay in their motels is how towns will benefit from building a course

EddieBTrue
05-16-2011, 01:17 AM
All, the Charlestown meeting has been moved to May 25th as Mayor Hall wants to takea golf cart tour of the prospective course[s] sites. My ardent hope is that Adam and DLG would attend the meeting as well; however I haven't been able to reach either; so please pass the word on to them if at all possible. Charlestown is a very real possibility; and we need to put our best foot forward. The meeting time is from 9-11:30 am. If you are able to reach Adam or DLG please give them my cell # 502 835 3974 or work # 502 359 7473. Thanks! Roger

Adam
05-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I talked to Dave, we'll be there.

Kao
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks again for the update Roger, I hope all goes well at the survey!

weeman
05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Any developments on this meeting with the city government people? Also, a while back someone sent me a study done showing the economic benefits of having disc golf (more aptly disc golf tournaments) in a given area. I can pass it along to whoever is meeting with the city government people and hopefully it will help out.

Adam
05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Wyatt, that would be an excellent thing to have. Could you please email that to me: higdon (dot) adam at gmail

The meeting with the Mayor of Charlestown went very well. He seems like a real nice, easy to work with kind of guy who's proud of the improvements his town has made in recent years and seems excited about adding disc golf to the list of activities the town has to offer. He showed Dave, Roger and I around their city park which is a nice, scenic piece of property where he would like to see the course. He asked us to get a proposal together and we hope to get started on that very soon.

On a side note, he briefly showed us a very large property the town will receive from the Army in the next couple years that could possibly be the site of future courses.

I don't want to get everyone's hopes up until we know more and things are finalized, but things look good so far.

captain plastic
05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Great job prez!

Kao
05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Good to hear it went ok and thanks again for the updates.

MarcusGresham
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
From the army? You think trees in the fairway are obstacles, try landmines!

I'm assuming it's part of the land along Hwy. 3. If so that's really easy to access from I-65.

Justin
05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Landmines are OB. lol. If you hit one, you must throw from your previous lie.

weeman
05-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Landmines are OB. lol. If you hit one, you must throw from your previous lie.

Would that fall under the OB category or the lost disc category if its blown to bits?

@ Adam, sent that study.

Justin
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Would that fall under the OB category or the lost disc category if its blown to bits?

Come to think of it, the lost disc category sounds like a better one. Good call.

Justin
05-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Actually, if we want to get technical...803.03 E "If the thrown disc breaks and comes to rest in more than one piece, the largest piece, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official, is deemed to be the thrown disc." But if was blown up, there would probably be too many pieces to make that determination.

EddieBTrue
06-18-2011, 11:55 AM
As Adam alluded a couple of replies above, we don't want to get overly excited about a new course in Charlestown as yet; however, there is receptiveness on the part of city hall; so that's a good sign. DLG, Adam, Martin, and myself have made repeated scouting trips over the proposed area[s]; and we could end up with a wonderful course...perhaps upwards of 27 holes dependent upon actual city-owned land boundaries et al.

There's even one potential tee, ala Holler In The Hills, where you could throw off of an almost perfectly flat rock that is around 15 X 20 in size, over a creek around 30 feet or so in the air...can you say SWEET?

I'm still in contact with the authorities; and will provide more info as it comes along.

As always, the more of us who make contact with city hall as interested in a new course, the better the chance it will happen. www.cityofcharlestown.com (http://www.cityofcharlestown.com)

Throw First, Putt Last!!! Roger/Eddiebtrue