PDA

View Full Version : Question about keeping score.

Dale Bowles
03-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Just wondering if you all count all holes as Par 3 or if you go by the course Par when scoring a round?

We have always counted them all as 3 but decided this year we were going to go with whatever the course Par is. Our scores were taking a beating on some of the Par 4's and 5's

G1nked
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
You can count scores by whatever par you wish par 3's par 4's or par 10's in the end your counting strokes and that's what counts. If you know the course par just total up your score and what you shot that's your score

Par 3 18 holes 54
Par 6 18 holes 108
If I play everything the same par It still ends up same regardless and I'm sure someone can explain better I'm going by my understanding I think par 3 is easiest to keep track for most

weeman
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Depends on what course you're playing at. Someplace like Iroquois is counted as a par 54 (everything threes) but others are different. Vettiner can be counted as a par 58 or 59 depending on how you want to go about it with the par 4s being holes 3, 8 & 16 and the par 5 18th. Lang has multiple par 4s (2, 4, 7, 9, 11) and one par 5 (15). As Shawn mentioned its ends up as your final score with the only difference being what you'd consider your score to par as.

MarcusGresham
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Depends on what course you're playing at. Someplace like Iroquois is counted as a par 54 (everything threes) but others are different. Vettiner can be counted as a par 58 or 59 depending on how you want to go about it with the par 4s being holes 3, 8 & 16 and the par 5 18th. Lang has multiple par 4s (2, 4, 7, 9, 11) and one par 5 (15). As Shawn mentioned its ends up as your final score with the only difference being what you'd consider your score to par as.

They're calling #7 at Seviren Lang a par 3---it will become a 4 if/when the basket is moved behind the pine trees.

Adam
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Yup, counting everything as par 3 is the most convenient, but keep in mind courses like Seviren and CV are definitely not par 3 courses.

martin
03-15-2011, 10:19 AM
par is only used when a player talks about there score in relationship to it - for example I shot a -3 - okay so the question might be asked -3 of what - well it depends on the par - if you were counting it based on a 54 or a 59 par a -3 is two very different scores

tourneys, leagues, competition - everything is always based on score - that score can then be compared to the course par

chuck
03-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Counting them all as 3 or 4 is just a way of keeping score easier. The decision on which to use has no effect on the course par, it's just an easier way to add up your score. Once you have your score, you can then compare it to course par or whatever you want.

Dale Bowles
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the skinny on the scoring. I guess i'm not used to playing courses that have more than a few par 4's or 5's but yea, the only thing that matters is what you throw in relation to the accepted course par, be it a 61 or a 54 or whatever.