PDA

View Full Version : How about a Charlestown 4-plex of 18 hole courses?

EddieBTrue
02-28-2011, 01:16 AM
If it were available, would you play a '4-plex' of DG courses in Charlestown Indiana?

Wellll, that could very well be coming your way in the not-too-distant future. Some of you may recall that we held a temporary basket 18 hole tournament at the Charlestown State Park (CSP) back in late November of 2009. There were nearly 75 people in attendance; and although a permanent course did not materialize at the CSP that doesn't mean that DG is done for that city.

Meetings have been held with Charlestown Mayor Bob Hall (Played DG in college!) as well with other 'community members' who would like to see a 100 acre tract owned by the city transformed into a 4-plex of 18 hole courses.

What is needed to help this along the way would be to reach out to the mayor's office letting them know how you, your friends...heck, even your neighbors dog, would love to have some DG courses in their fair city! You can reach the mayor's personal assistant at dstaton@cityofcharlestown.com. Also know that he encouraged me to make this post; so all is 'kosher'.

Below are a couple of pictures of the property: Throw First, Putt Last. Roger

MarcusGresham
02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Where is this? I'm assuming it's not at the State Park. Is it on the old weapons depository site?

Daniel
02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
How far is C-town from the 'ville? (I'm pretty clueless about S. Indiana...)

*Any* 4-plex of DG is a pretty cool idea! If I could play again, I'd *definitely* go and go often. No doubt.

MarcusGresham
02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
How far is C-town from the 'ville? (I'm pretty clueless about S. Indiana...)

*Any* 4-plex of DG is a pretty cool idea! If I could play again, I'd *definitely* go and go often. No doubt.

Take I-65 north to the 265 exit (about 5 miles or so from the Kennedy Bridge,) but go east instead of going west on 265. Then you'll go about a mile and take highway 62 north (it will say "east" but at that point you're travelling north) about 10 miles to Charlestown.

In 100 years when the other bridges are built it won't be far at all from the east-end bridge.

One letter has already been sent, Roger.

weeman
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
It's really not that far away from Louisville. Not more so than Georgetown is at least. I use to work out past Charlestown and drive past this park every day. I'd be glad to support anything disc golf related in the park, its a great piece of land.

Kao
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I would love to see this happen. Thanks for sharing this Roger, I will be sending out an email to them later today!

martin
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
very cool - good job ambassador

disc golf complexes are fantastic cant wait to check out the land

MarcusGresham
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Hopefully I didn't pimp anyone out but in my letter I made a general statement that I was sure the LDGC would be willing to assist with anything the town would need regarding the courses.

EddieBTrue
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
To be specific, the parcel of property in question is adjacent to the Charlestown State Park, but is completely fenced off from that property. For that matter, the entire 100 acres is fenced in; so security will be excellent. It's 13.1 miles from the parcel of land to downtown Louisville; so the point of it not being much different than Seviren Lang is true.

There's a nearly new luxury apartment complex right next door as well; so if you were a tenant you would literally be able to walk out of your apartment onto the course...how's that for convenience??? ;)

Please, please continue to write emails and/or letters to the mayor's office. Sincerely, Roger

MarcusGresham
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I got a response e-mail today from the lady to whom you referred us (actually, I got it Monday & just read it today. Maybe I should check my e-mails a bit more often.)

Bassmanatum
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
This is a great idea! I have friends in Charlestown who always have to drive 30mins to be able to play. This would be a great place recruit new players.