PDA

View Full Version : 2012 U.S. Masters (Louisville, KY)

jeremy
01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
About a year ago Dave and I typed up a proposal to the PDGA for the U.S. Masters. Dave's continued the efforts over the past year submiting budgets and more reports. As of today, the PDGA has award us the 2012 U.S. Masters.

Dave is the Event Coordinator and I will be the TD. We'll be picking up some other local co-TDs as well and begging for help from EVERY willing body.

This is HUGE news for the city as this is the first PDGA Major to ever be held in our state.

There will be MUCH more news in the future. I just wanted to make the official anouncement.

Adam
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
That's awesome!

I know Dave has put in a lot of hard work to get the Masters here, thanks for all your hard work. I know the club will step up big time to help make this happen.

Judge
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I am in to help however I can Congrats to you guys for your efforts this is a great thing for our disc golf community.

scottyb
01-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Very impressive.. nice job!

chuck
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
That's great to hear!!!! Glad to hear they come through after all of Dave's hard work! Great job guys!! Put me down as a helper, assistant TD, gopher, or whatever you need!!

MarcusGresham
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
All rounds to be played at Vettiner, or still to be determined?

Adam
01-18-2011, 02:48 PM
We know they will be using CV, but the rest have yet to be determined. There will definitely be multiple courses involved. I was looking at the pre-registration for the Master this year. Even though it's 3 months away, they already have 178 people registered and people on the waiting list. Being in the mid-west, we have a lot more cities around us than they do in Texas (where they're having the masters this year). So we could easily see 250 - 300 people.

Mike_D
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
J.I.M.P

I would like to thanks Dave & Jeremy for all your effort along with anyone else who help make this possible

martin
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Very cool - proud to be a Louisville golfer - gonna get some national recognition 502/812 - let's showcase our golf scene

CG17415
01-18-2011, 06:31 PM
thats awesome news!!! i'll be more than willing to asst this precious tourney! thank you dave & jeremy for all u do!

Terry Glass
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Extremely exciting news! Thanks to everyone who worked on bringing in the Masters tournament. We have a lot of awesome courses in the greater Louisville area. Letís get some recognition.

Kao
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Good to hear that we got it. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this event home! I would like to help with this event when it comes time.

jeremy
01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
It's going to be a tough juggling act. We have the 2011 CVO, 2012 CVO, and 2012 Masters to be working towards at the same time. There are plenty of players in our community to make each a success. I'd love to see our entire disc golf community working together to make these events the best they can be. I hope that EVERYONE can set aside ill feelings and personal agendas and attack these tasks as a unified force.

MarcusGresham
01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Probably a naive question, but I've never been to a major event, so what all do we have to do as opposed to national people who come in? Obviously we'd (along with the parks department,) be responsible for getting the course in top condition, I assume we'd provide spotters, something to the effect of "course tour guides" for the gallery; but what about things like concessions, etc? Do the national companies (Innova, etc.,) bring tents and sell their products?

jeremy
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
It's really up to us what we do. The Louisville Sports Commission is working with us to provide some added commodities. To be honest, it's WAY too early for me to say with any certainty what we will or won't do at this event. I just know that we have to make it our biggest, most impressive event to date.

We'll have to have at least one NON-PLAYING offical per course used. It would be nice to have spotters on select holes for O.B. and thick rough. I'm certain Innova will send some people to set up a fly mart or two. We'll see about getting Billy Crump and his film crew here. The sky is the limit and it's up to our disc golf community to make it all happen.

kirvin2
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll help any way that I can.

Daniel
01-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow! Hopefully Tom Sawyer will be ready by then...

Congrats!

Adam
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Probably a naive question, but I've never been to a major event, so what all do we have to do as opposed to national people who come in? Obviously we'd (along with the parks department,) be responsible for getting the course in top condition, I assume we'd provide spotters, something to the effect of "course tour guides" for the gallery; but what about things like concessions, etc? Do the national companies (Innova, etc.,) bring tents and sell their products?

No, that's a great question Marcus.

As Jeremy explained, it's still early to say what we will or won't do. But that's the kind of stuff we'll be thinking and talking about later.

captain plastic
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
All local masters age players should plan on playing
this event and dominating.

I will TD a course as long as it's not Fun Farm

chuck
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Interesting to say that and then volunteer to be one of the TDs which would mean you're NOT playing!! lol

Adam
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
He's not playing either way since he's under the age of 40.

chuck
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
He's not playing either way since he's under the age of 40.

Ooops! My bad!

jeremy
01-20-2011, 08:40 AM

I doubt the Fun Farm will be used.

Interesting to say that and then volunteer to be one of the TDs which would mean you're NOT playing!! lol

Sammy's not quite Masters aged yet.

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't see that had already been addressed.

Adam
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
And I believe that's going to contribute to the success of the event. We have lots of golfers who are willing to help out and everyone under 40 can't play making it easier on them to volunteer.

MarcusGresham
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Holy crap, I just realized--I am old enough.

Kao
01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
And I believe that's going to contribute to the success of the event. We have lots of golfers who are willing to help out and everyone under 40 can't play making it easier on them to volunteer.

My thoughts exactly, I'm excited and I hope everyone pulls together to make this one sweet event!

Bubby Hill
01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Anyone who turns 40 at any time in 2012 will be eligible to play. I don't play many tournaments anymore, but I'll definitely sign up for this one. This really is a big deal for us. Good job Dave, Jeremy and anyone else involved.

Judge
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
ill be your caddy marcus lol

MarcusGresham
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Careful what you say--I may hold you to that!

Judge
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
hey if im free that weekend ill carry your bag! plus you need advice from a caddy! maybe it wont be good but ill give it anyway. lol

weeman
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey Bub, I won't necassarily caddie for you but I'll be there to shake my head at a bad shot and high five you on the good ones.

jeremy
01-21-2011, 07:43 AM
hey if im free that weekend ill carry your bag! plus you need advice from a caddy! maybe it wont be good but ill give it anyway. lol
Now that he's got someone to carry his bag maybe he can find someone to carry his discs.

Judge
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Now that he's got someone to carry his bag maybe he can find someone to carry his discs.

and find them!!

swasafix
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Damn, I am old enough.....how depressing :(

Bubby Hill
01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Dude, shaking your head at all of my bad shots is liable to give you a very stiff neck!

MarcusGresham
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Same here--if I don't have a caddy with ankylosing spondilitis he'll look like a bobblehead

jamesmcc
01-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Don't need no caddy just want the Masters Cup.

martin
01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
its been made official on pdga.com

http://www.pdga.com/2012-us-masters

G1nked
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Jeremy I am so glad you finished your sentence with cs. and not ck.

jeremy
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
That was sort of the bathroom humor that I was going for.

Ironman
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
The offical announcement mentions needing to qualify or invitation to participate.
If so, what events locally will qualify us, or how do we get an invitation?

I am guessing invitations are for top pro's. while everyone else must win something to get in.

Can anyone elaborate on this.

PDGA Majors are defined as World and National Championships which are based on invitations and player qualification. Qualification to compete in World Championships and Majors are awarded according to previous year Tour Points and other qualifying criteria.

Ironman
01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Anyone? anyone at all?

jeremy
01-27-2011, 08:33 AM
I think anyone can play the Master's but I'll have to verify that. I know they used to send out invitations to the World's but I don't think they even do that anymore.

martin
01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
I think as a major there can be qualifying - it all depends how may player spots we make available

This years masters is only for like 200 players but they are only playing on 1 course
If we expand in 2012 and play on multiple courses the total # of players can grow - I think

jamesmcc
01-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes they invite me to the Masters every year because of my points and tourneys.

jeremy
01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Yes they invite me to the Masters every year because of my points and tourneys.
I'll try to find a list of how to qualify.

jeremy
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I checked with the PDGA and as I expected the Masters IS NOT a qualifing event. The only stipulation is your age. You will just simply register and play.

Adam
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Cool, thanks for letting us know Jereemy.

lilfatguy
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
GREAT JOB EVERYONE, I knew that someday Louisville would pull in a major, Thanks to everyone from DAVE and JEREMY to the ones that do the small things.This really made me sit up and pay attention when I read this, and you can count on the Meade-Olin crew for whatever you need (although We are all over 40) hopefully helping and playing will work out thanks for the great work everyone lilfatguy

jeremy
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
GREAT JOB EVERYONE, I knew that someday Louisville would pull in a major, Thanks to everyone from DAVE and JEREMY to the ones that do the small things.This really made me sit up and pay attention when I read this, and you can count on the Meade-Olin crew for whatever you need (although We are all over 40) hopefully helping and playing will work out thanks for the great work everyone lilfatguy
We've got enough "young" guys that we're really hoping the "old" guys can just kick back and have a good time. My hope is that all the Masters aged players get to focus on playing and not working.

lilfatguy
02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
We've got enough "young" guys that we're really hoping the "old" guys can just kick back and have a good time. My hope is that all the Masters aged players get to focus on playing and not working.

hmmmmm wellllllllll geeeeeeeeee ok you twisted my arm enough I'll try the playing not working thing LOL

chuck
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I checked with the PDGA and as I expected the Masters IS NOT a qualifing event. The only stipulation is your age. You will just simply register and play.

That's great to know!! I'll try to play in it now instead of working it!!

jeremy
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
hmmmmm wellllllllll geeeeeeeeee ok you twisted my arm enough I'll try the playing not working thing LOL
We'd hate to put you in a home early.

MarcusGresham
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Judge already committed himself to caddy for me---there may be enough young guys we all get caddies (and hopefully of them are paramedics, too. At least one of us old dudes is sure to have a stroke, or break a hip, or something traumatic.)