PDA

View Full Version : PDGA Rule Changes

GetEmWet
01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Seen this in the latest issue of Disc Golfer. Thought I would bring more attention to the new rules for those who don't receive this magazine or those that overlooked it.

*Holing out has been tightened up. A putt that sticks in the side of the tray, hangs outside of the tray from one of the nubs, or goes in through the top of the basket no longer counts.

*The unplayable lie rules has been changed to "optional rethrow."

*The rules for lie above ground have been changed to include a lie below the ground.

*The relief rules have ben changed and simplified. You can't move anything unless it is in your stance. If something is both in your stance and between your lie and the hole, you can move it.

*The 5-meter relief rule has been extended to anywhere back along the line of play, and moved to the relief section.

*A tournament director may now designate a drop zone to be used for a lost disc on a given hole.

Adam
01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
*The relief rules have been changed and simplified. You can't move anything unless it is in your stance. If something is both in your stance and between your lie and the hole, you can move it.

I like that change a lot!

Mike_D
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
*The unplayable lie rules has been changed to "optional rethrow."

Is this the new rule where if you throw OB you now have to rethrow & no longer can play is from where it crossed into the OB ?

MarcusGresham
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't think it's for OBs, I think it's intended for throws that go deep into bushes, briers, etc.

Adam
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I believe that is correct Marcus. If you disc is in a location that is in bounds but unplayable, you now have option to re-tee. Is that how everyone else interprets it?

chuck
01-06-2011, 05:52 PM
As a TD, that would be how I interpret the new rule.

eric_g
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
So a disc that goes in through the top of the basket doesn't count any more but disc that wedges all the way through the cage and goes in DOES still count?

martin
01-24-2011, 04:53 AM
No the disc must enter the basket between the top and bottom of the cage - chains

cannot fall through top, cannot wedge (unless it entered chains and wedges as it tries to slip out of the basket)

Of course this is pending if the group witnesses the disc entering the basket

I think the PDGA needs to change their approval of basket construction in the future

chuck
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, if they really want to be able to enforce that rule, then the top of the baskets would have to be closed off and something will have to be put around the basket portion to prevent wedging.

weeman
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I've never seen one enter through the top except on the original Innova chastity belt baskets. Their newer editions have corrected this though.

Mike_D
01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Question came up . When playing in a tourny do you have to use your maker disc in place off your disc if using or not ?

Justin
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
"A player may choose , without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A player is only required to mark the lie with a mini marker disc when repositioning the lie which includes out-of-bounds, disc above the playing surface, lost disc, unplayable lie, relocated for relief, interference, or repositioning the lie within one meter of the out-of-bounds line."

MarcusGresham
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
So you can use it, but you can't flip it. At least that's how I'm reading this.

weeman
01-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Exactly, Marcus. So if you want to throw the same disc in consecutive throws you better have a mini because laying another disc down as the marker is not permissible.

chuck
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
And make SURE your mini is marked to be readily identifiable as yours. If not, that's a violation too.

Mike_D
01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Wait since the time i started playing disc golf i have always flipped my disc ones toward the basket. 2 years in & now i find out that this is not allowed PDGA rule. Are you sure ?

About your mini / marker disc being clearly marked you mean like perm marker your name ?

jamesmcc
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
That's correct and flipping is only allowed in non-PDGA events such as Leagues.

Adam
01-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Flipping the disc is what nearly everyone does when they aren't playing in a PDGA sanctioned tournament. I keep my mini in my pocket during tournaments and that reminds me to use it rather than flipping my disc.