PDA

View Full Version : St. Matthews Community Park (need help)

Sunspot
10-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I got an email back from one of the councilman from St. Matthews. Here it is:

Chris:

I am aware of your request for consideration of a disc golf area at the St. Matthews Community Park. However, I have reviewed the links that you provided and it appears that there would not be proper space for it to be installed, keeping in mind that it is the city's intent to preserve green spaces and treed park areas. This said, if you believe that the existing tree areas can be maintained and the disc golf could also be provided, then you should put together a plan and present it to the mayor and city council for consideration.

Thank you for taking time to contact the city about your idea.

Mary Jo Nay
Councilman, City of St. Matthews

I do believe that we can work around the existing trees to create a course there. The woods are thick, however, the only thing that needs clearing would be brush, vines, and such. Entire trees can stay intact.

We need someone to go in and help design a course around the existing trees. I think it can be done! I'm anxious/excited about the possibility of having a new course.

PM me if you want my number so we can take a look at a potential course.

I really want as many people involved in this as possible. The more ideas the better.

Kao
10-22-2010, 10:40 PM
If there isn't enough room for an 18 hole course I wouldn't mind a 9 holer as long as its a solid design. I don't have any experience designing holes but I'm always down to help out and give my opinions.

Sunspot
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I think it's 26 acres. That should be enough for 18.

martin
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Chris ill come check it out with you

Number is 5022915422

Kao
10-22-2010, 10:45 PM
When you planning on heading out there?

Sunspot
10-22-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm off at three tomorrow if anyone wants to go check it out. Let me know.

thedrew3000
10-23-2010, 01:17 AM
call me and let me know how it goes tomorrow

Kao
10-23-2010, 07:52 AM
I prob won't be able to get out there until next week. I'm heading into work and will let you know what days I am free later.

jeremy
10-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Great start, Chris. I'm sure that you could easily fit a 18 hole course in there if that wooded area is 26 acres.

Sunspot
10-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Great start, Chris. I'm sure that you could easily fit a 18 hole course in there if that wooded area is 26 acres.

I'm pretty sure we could fit an entire 18 holes even we sacrificed some space. I also think we might be able to avoid the trail. Which reminds me, I went out there about 3:30 today and saw two people walking their dogs. There wasn't a lot of people out there. Last time I went was around 6:30 last Saturday and it was similar. I don't know how busy it will be if a course does get installed, so we may not have to worry about walkers/joggers.

Today I went out there with an intention in finding places that would work for the course. I noticed that the areas on the side and the back side are more open than the front side of the park. I think it would be easier to clear brush and other debris and still have something to work with.

There's one thing in her email that I didn't quite understand, " green spaces." I wasn't sure if she was referring to brush, undergrowth, and certain greenery that can be cleared. For clarification, I emailed her back asking her if we could clear some of the brush, vines, and other stuff out there. I haven't received an email back from her yet. My understanding was just leaving the trees intact.

Regardless, it's going to require a lot of work if it gets approved.

Daniel
10-24-2010, 12:59 PM
"Green spaces" are areas in urban places that actually have green things (plants) growing vs concrete. Disc golf would work in and around that idea, as it only minimally infringes upon trees and grass that grow there.

I had known it to be much busier than that. Actually, similar to the park behind the Lyndon post office. Dead at times but at peak usage, pretty busy.

captain plastic
10-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Brown Park is full of people all the time.
Great place. Beautiful piece of land.
Good luck my friend.

weeman
10-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah I use to bring my basket over to Brown Park and work on upshots and putting. There's waaaay too many people/mallards that use that park to have anything permanent.

Daniel
10-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Brown Park is full of people all the time.
Great place. Beautiful piece of land.
Good luck my friend.

I've always imagined different hole configurations there. Would be scenic. Problems would be with all the nasty bacteria and raw sewage in Beargrass Creek...:Please:

Sunspot
10-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Martin and I went through the park today. We both like the potential this park has. I think the course is going to be short and technical with some harder,longer holes sparsed throughout the course.

Think of it as more of a beginner/intermediate course, one that is a good introduction to disc golf while, at the same time, provide enjoyment for those who have more experience.