PDA

View Full Version : USDGC to use "ball golf" ob rules this year. AND no BUNCR's

PDGA#26039
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
This changes everything. The USDGC will be using "ball golf" OB rules (meaning stroke AND distance penalty on an OB shot) it basically adds another stoke onto all ob shots. WOW, there will be some HIGH scores this year.

I love the ball golf ob rule. Can't wait.

No BUNCR's either!

Daniel
09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
This changes everything. The USDGC will be using "ball golf" OB rules (meaning stroke AND distance penalty on an OB shot) it basically adds another stoke onto all ob shots. WOW, there will be some HIGH scores this year.

What's the "distance penalty" mean?

No BUNCR's either!
BUNCRs? What are these?

Man, after this, I feel dense...;-)

PDGA#26039
09-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Distance penalty is basically rethrowing from the previous lie PLUS the penalty stroke, like ball golf ob rules. Basically adds up to a 2 stroke penalty for the OB

BUNCR's are what the USDGC had been using the past 2 years on certain holes. Instead of a penalty stroke, you just re-teed without a stroke.

They basically reversed the severity of the ob's this year. The scoring average will be 3-5 strokes higher this year because of it.

I'll just be trying to keep it in the fairway!

These are huge changes down there!

Bubby Hill
09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Scott, where did you find this info? Is it on the USDGC website somewhere?

Daniel
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Distance penalty is basically rethrowing from the previous lie PLUS the penalty stroke, like ball golf ob rules. Basically adds up to a 2 stroke penalty for the OB

So, it's like #17, but everywhere? Yikes. I didn't realize that was a ball golf rule. That will CERTAINLY raise the round averages by 3-5 strokes easily. I'd say probably closer to 7.

J_VanOver
09-27-2010, 09:56 PM

I looked up the ball-golf rule.

Ball Lost or Out of Bounds (Rule 27-1 (http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rule27.htm))
Stroke plus distance. Take a 1-stroke penalty and return to the spot of the original shot to re-play. A provisional ball may be played before searching for the original ball begins.

Playing from a hazard is different though.

Ball in Water Hazard (Rule 26-1 (http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/a/rule26.htm))
If you find your ball in a water hazard, you can always try to play it without penalty. Otherwise, it's a stroke-plus-distance penalty. Option 1: Take a 1-stroke penalty and return to the spot of the original shot to re-play. Option 2: Take a 1-stroke penalty and drop a ball behind the water hazard (going back as far as you want), keeping the point at which the original shot crossed into the hazard directly between your drop and the hole. For a lateral water hazard, drop within two club lengths of the spot where the ball crossed the margin of the hazard (no nearer the hole), or on the opposite side of the hazard at an equidistant spot.

I'm interested if they are changing that rule as well. I would like to see more alignment of the rules where they fit.

PDGA#26039
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Gonna be crazy down there. I really like the ball golf ob rules. They won't be doing a water hazard rule. All ob's will be the stroke and distance penalty.

The SSA (scratch scoring average is usually in the 68 range. I feel like 72 is going to be the new 68. Maybe 71.

I can't wait

PDGA#26039
09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Scott, where did you find this info? Is it on the USDGC website somewhere?

Yeah if you go to the usdgc.com website, look at the caddy book. One of the first rules discussed is the OB rule, they even put it in bold print.

Hole 14 is now played down the right side (on the hill)

Bubby Hill
09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks man, lookin' forward to hangin' with you guys in Rock Hill.