PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Park in Lexington - forced re-design?

UgandanJoe
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi there....

For anyone is does not know the Veteran's Park disc golf course in Lexington, Ky has recently come under fire from the local park's and rec. To sum up their claim, the local mountain biker's want to make major changes to a 10 year old course so they don't have to interact with disc golfers while they ride. They also want to 'take' entire hole locations as their own.

Needless to say - the connections of these changes were not approved by the local players and they are now attempting to politicize the issue by jamming up further course development unless the local club keeps (relatively) quiet.

To read more about the issues...

http://bdga.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=1490

This is my original post on the BDGA site trying to feel if this issue is something that I (as a disc golfer) should attempt to correct. Their response seems pretty clear, so now I am trying to "feel-out" other local clubs to get a touch on how many others from the region have played at Veteran's Park.

If you (as disc golfers) have played at Veterans Park in Lexington and would like to donate your '2 cents' to the topic... please email me - or post on the BDGA boards.

The forced redesign of this course is about to go in front of the local city council (by me) and I am trying to get any support I can. A petition is about to begin circulation... if you would like to sign, or know of others who may, please let me know.
Thanks so much,
William Hart

Sweat
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I really hate to hear this! The LDGC members traveled down there many weekends to help put in the course. Everett Lashley was in charge of the club then and was a good friend to alot of us here n Louisville. Hopefully they won't change it!! F--- bikers!!!

upfromtheashes
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I just played Veteran's for the first time this summer, and to be totally honest I feel like it could be improved with a redesign.

Daniel
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
It was MUCH tougher when it was firt put in back in '01/'02. Probably 5-7 strokes harder due to very rough schule.

IF (and it's a big if) the parks gives enough land, Vet's could be a SERIOUS course. However, if they don't, it could be just another "nice" course. Nothing more.

I wouldn't mind a redesign on some holes (5, 8, 9, 18), but some need to be kept (1, 6, 13, 15, 16). Add some longer holes (wooded or non) to the "kept" holes and you'd have a really, really good course. Just MHO.

captain plastic
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I did not want to be the first to say so but
Veterans is a cool place but needs a little work.
Some holes are great. I don't know the numbers well
but some are just a crap shoot. Hey, that's disc golf.

I hope the golfers win over the bikers.

Adam
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I like Veterans Park a lot because it's an interesting and challenging course. The only bad thing about it, in my opinion, is the long walk between a few of those holes. I hope you guys can turn this problem with the bikers into positive change that will allow you to improve on your already great course. Best of luck!

Kao
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I have never played Veterans but it is on the wishlist. I hope things go well and good luck!

Daniel
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Think shorter back 9 of Vettiner with more trees. Main problem with Vet's is that on some holes, there is no defined "fairway". Lots of luck involved.