PDA

View Full Version : big disapointment @ Lexington Open

G1nked
05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Well I tried to do my best but had a horrible weekend at Veterans Park and Shilito during the Lexington Open tournament. I started great at Shillito with a 4 over par 852 rating and then it went to hell in a handbasket as I am my group had the wrong directions in our garmin and got lost and got to Veterans Park 25 minutes late. The TDs waited for us but I was already distrout by then and shot 22 over par which was horrible 716 round rating. Then Sundayit rained all day but I improved at Veterans with a 71 and shot 10 over at Shilito. Maybe I just had to high expectations only starting late last summer, maybe I just suck, I try not to use my vision loss as an excuse but I couldnt wear my glasses from trying to keep them dry and or not fog up but regardless I was not playing to my potential and I am very disapointed with my first major tournament. Then to top it off the winner of Novice would have been second in Rec so the sandbagging kind of chaffes my ass but I guess there is no stopping that but how can someone with 913, 960, 940 & 852 feel good about winning Novice?
Well all I can do is not give up and keep trying to play with better people to learn more and right now everyone I play is better so I wont having a problem finding people to learn from. Well I tried to represent Louisville and did not accomplish this whatsoever so I apoligize. Im probably no good and nobody wants to let me in on the secret. Oh well I dont know what else to say or do.

scottyb
05-17-2010, 01:55 PM
First off.. relax.. its your first tournament. Don't be too hard on yourself.. Everyone has a bad tournament, I don't care who you are.. just keep on playing.. its about having fun right?

Sandbagging happens in every division except Open... can't let it bother you though, just play your best and focus on your game.

jeremy
05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, you gotta take your stripes. Tourney golf is a LOT different than casual golf. Keep practicing, keep playing, keep learning. There are VERY few people that just CAN'T play this game. You have enough ability to be able to keep getting better.

captain plastic
05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Good luck buddy.
Keep you head up.

Daniel
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Shawn,

I know Charlie, the guy that won. He shouldn't have been playing that div. But, that happens. It's happened to me, but you get over it.

Don't worry about it. It's your first tourney. As Jeremy said, tourney golf is A LOT different than casual rounds. Even if you play it as a "tourney" round. Pressure and people are different. Plus, your mind can seriously mess with you, causing you to do things you wouldn't "normally" do on a certain throw. At least that's what mine does!

Don't worry, keep at it, keep playing tournies and keep practicing! Everyone (and I mean everyone) has been where you are. It's not fun, but you learn!

GMcAtee
05-17-2010, 03:12 PM
That's why I didn't go! Way too many sandbaggers pre-registered. After you play a few tourneys, you will recognize the names to stay away from. The non-PDGA members can be the worst!

I just worry about playing above my rating. Then, if I beat a bunch of highly-rated players, I feel pretty good.

Russ
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I know you are disgusted but that was that guys very first pdga tournament and he signed up for novice at the advice of the lexington club. give him a break he feels bad and wont play novice again.

illyB
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Too many sandbaggers shouldn't keep someone away from an event. Eventually they will move up and if you beat them before that, consider it a great accomplishment!

Daniel
05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
That's why I didn't go! Way too many sandbaggers pre-registered. After you play a few tourneys, you will recognize the names to stay away from. The non-PDGA members can be the worst!

I just worry about playing above my rating. Then, if I beat a bunch of highly-rated players, I feel pretty good.

Then, if you just worry about playing above your rating, why worry about "sandbaggers" in your division? Just play your best and be done with it, right?

jamesmcc
05-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I can tell you for a fact I have won a few tourneys but I could not tell you how many I did the very same thing you did. Just like disc golf, tourneys take practice to get used to the pressures that go with them, so keep up the good work and let karma take care of the baggers.

G1nked
05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I know you are disgusted but that was that guys very first pdga tournament and he signed up for novice at the advice of the lexington club. give him a break he feels bad and wont play novice again.
Thanks for clearing that up about how bad he feels Russ I guess I didnt stick around long enough to see him give away all his merchandise and apologize. I guess the Rec players were glad he was Ill advised about what division to play
he must be a natural and I just didn't recognize it like he didn't
I don't care too much about sand bagging I know it will happen but, one day I'll improve and take care of the sand baggers myself. I was mainly disgusted with myself so I'm not going to hang on to the negative. I did enjoy my weekend and added two brand new courses to my list so now Ill put the past behind me and learn from my experiences. I did shoot a good round for never playing it before at Shillito which was an 854 which to you pros is crap but, for me and my circumstances, I'll take it with pride.
I did get some sweet plastic and had a blast with all the cool people from Lexington.
I'm already over it with the friendly support of you guys here on the boards so whats in the past is in the past. I'll live in the now

GMcAtee
05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Then, if you just worry about playing above your rating, why worry about "sandbaggers" in your division? Just play your best and be done with it, right?

Yes, but seeing notorious sandbaggers pre-registered will keep me from spending my money on gas, hotel, and entry-fee. Instead, I ran a bag tag challenge at home.

GMcAtee
05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
I also don't care for Veteran's Park. I'm cool with it being a difficult course, but atleast have some tee signs!

G1nked
05-18-2010, 12:57 AM
toughest course I have played to date so I would love to play Shillito again Veterans I could wait on for a few decades.

Daniel
05-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I also don't care for Veteran's Park. I'm cool with it being a difficult course, but atleast have some tee signs!
Vet's is fine. It's not as easy as Shillito to follow, but it's not tough. The hardest thing is getting from 9 to 10. They should have a course map at #1...thought they did, but if they don't, they should.

The tee signs were originally REALLY nice wooden ones that were done by a local player. Very cool. However, we all know about vandalism and how that goes. Plus, this course was put in with ZERO city funds and therefore any upgrades (like new tee signs) was on the club and the designer. Ouch.

Daniel
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
toughest course I have played to date so I would love to play Shillito again Veterans I could wait on for a few decades.

Vets grows on you. The more you play it, the better you get. It forces you to use all the shots in your bag.

jeremy
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I actually LOVE Veterans Park. It's like Muldraugh on steroids (or OCP on horse steroids).

jondaniels
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
I like it as well, I played really well the first round, but playing it in the rain and in the morning made it much more difficult. My main issue was the short pads, and them being so slick! We will do better for sure next time!

Daniel
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
I like it as well, I played really well the first round, but playing it in the rain and in the morning made it much more difficult. My main issue was the short pads, and them being so slick! We will do better for sure next time!

I played it recently with wet pads and it's BAAAAAD. It was a great thing to have recently practiced standstill throws exclusively! It allowed me to shoot a -4 with muddy pads...(not in the tourney, just with friends).

GMcAtee
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Hand carved tee signs are awesome! I think Patoka Lake has them. The vandalism really irritates me when I go to a course. Sometimes that's an out-of-towners first impression.

I went to Paris, TN yesterday to play that course again. It was vandalised heavily last year when I went. Now it's not even being kept up. Pretty sad, cause it's a great course!

G1nked
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
well I could see where it would grow on you and I would play it again but not in the rain thats for sure. I agree with John the bads are slick and also Daniel they seemed a bit short. I didn't like Fun Farm the first couple times right when I started but now Its growing on me as well I did improve in the rain 5 strokes at Veterans where as my friends both finished worse then the day before. My friends GPS had us all screwed up so I called the TD and he stalled like 25 minutes until we got there and I have to give them props for helping us navigate into the course, lessons learned I know I am a better player then my score showed that day