PDA

View Full Version : Clinics?

jeremy
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I've heard it mentioned a few times that some newer players would like some what of a clinics from some pro level players. I'm going to try to see if we can't get some of the areas pro level players together in about a month or so to put on some what of a clinic.

What are some of the things you guys would like to learn? We can obviously cover putting, accuracy, distance, etc. but is there something more you guys would like to see?

If there is enough interest in this thread it will show that there is an interest in making a clinic happen. Let us know what you want.

***EDIT***

It's happening, here's the info:

Disc Golf Techniques Clinic @ Charlie Vettiner
May 23, 2010 3:30PM

The clinic is FREE to the public but we will accept donations for the 2010 Charlie Vettiner Open.

The instructors will include:

David Greenwell - Trick Shots and Approaches
Daniel L. - Sidearm Shots and Jump Putts
Scott Rief - Putting
Jeremy Watts - Distance

We may add a few more instructors before the event

Sunspot
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Snap and accelerating through the "hit" would be a couple of good things to talk about. I know it's hard to teach, but timing during and after the pull (backhand drive) would also be very beneficial to talk about.

Kao
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Clinics would be nice. I missed the one at the FATPAD and really wanted to make it. I feel like whatever was taught would be good for my game at this point.

phalanx65
05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm hardly a newer player, but I would love to have someone teach me to throw a roller straight.

Daniel
05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
D, but I'm getting more now...I'll take all pointers! I'm up to 425' with a TB and want to get eventually to 500' maybe by the end of the year. Don't know if I can do it, but I'm wanting to get all the advice I can get to reach it! :grin:

I can help with putting/jump putting technique if you need someone as well for that...

jeremy
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I can help with putting/jump putting technique if you need someone as well for that...
Sweet! I'll likely take you up on that.

bpait
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Sidearm throws would be a great addition as well.

chuck
05-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Even though I'm a newer player (or at least one that hasn't developed quite to my potential yet), I could probably help with some sidearm throws. I definitely need distance and accuracy help with my backhands though!!!

G1nked
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
upshots, thumbers vs tomahawks accuracy and rollers

Ed Murphy
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Help i need it all

Bubby Hill
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Me too Ed. I really need help on my Drives, Putts, Sidearms, Backhands, Rollers, Tomahawks, Turbo-Putts, Scoobie Shots, Thumbers, 360's and anything else anyone has invented lately!

PDGA#26039
05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd be happy to do some clinic stuff whenever. I'll be around all month. I'll throw a date out there. May 23rd at 3:30 CV. We can work on whatever you need.

swasafix
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM
I just want my discs not to shank hard left so much :)
I think it is really cool how you guys do these clinics, its people like you that make sucky people like me stay in the game, whether you are LDGA or Allstar I respect both for what they do and have done.....THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

weeman
05-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Sidearm throws would be a great addition as well.

Even though I'm a newer player (or at least one that hasn't developed quite to my potential yet), I could probably help with some sidearm throws. I definitely need distance and accuracy help with my backhands though!!!

I can help out with some sidearm shots/techniques. I feel I've got a solid basis for those shots. They've accounted for a lot of my better shots recently too.

Adam
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Good call Jeremy, I think it's about time for another clinic. I'd we willing to come help out in any way I can.

Adam
05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Snap and accelerating through the "hit" would be a couple of good things to talk about. I know it's hard to teach, but timing during and after the pull (backhand drive) would also be very beneficial to talk about.

Hey Chris, maybe this video will help some until the clinic. The guy is a little long winded, but I think he does a great job explaining a complicated topic. This is part one of two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGYsSUGKXk

bpait
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Thank you Scott! I will try and make plans for the 23rd.

Sunspot
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Chris, maybe this video will help some until the clinic. The guy is a little long winded, but I think he does a great job explaining a complicated topic.

Yeah, I've already watched that video a few times:-D Brad (the guy who is in the video) and Blake T. at Disc golf review both know what they are talking about when it comes to throwing. Basically, I would like to hear another perspective on it, hoping that something else might "click".

Daniel
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Hey Chris, maybe this video will help some until the clinic. The guy is a little long winded, but I think he does a great job explaining a complicated topic. This is part one of two.

I don't think he's long winded--there is just a lot to explain as to why you need to do what he's saying. Trust me, his method is how I went from throwing ~350' to 425' in 6-8 weeks' time. Plus, with his technique, I can throw TBs 375' with NO run up. Fantastic stuff in his video and on DGR.

G1nked
05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
it is easy to recite it not so much to incorporate it for myself

jeremy
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
So far Dave Greenwell, Scott Rief, Daniel Ledford, and myself are tentatively scheduled to be there for the clinic.

G1nked
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I am going to advertise this as a membership drive/clinic for my non ldgc member friends and hopefully this will be just the incentive they need to join up. I am stoked we got a lot of good instructors coming to this so I see an awesome turnout. Hopefully we could sale some discs for the club while this is going on as well.

Daniel
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I am going to advertise this as a membership drive/clinic for my non ldgc member friends and hopefully this will be just the incentive they need to join up. I am stoked we got a lot of good instructors coming to this so I see an awesome turnout. Hopefully we could sale some discs for the club while this is going on as well.

Thread drift:

Anyone have a inventory list of what discs the club has? I'm looking for some stuff...

Back to regular programming.

kirvin2
05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
This is great!
I need help on distance, snap out and follow through.

jeremy
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Alright, here's the info:

Disc Golf Techniques Clinic @ Charlie Vettiner
May 23, 2010 3:30PM

The clinic is FREE to the public but we will accept donations for the 2010 Charlie Vettiner Open.

The instructors will include:

David Greenwell - Trick Shots and Approaches
Daniel L. - Sidearm Shots and Jump Putts
Scott Rief - Putting
Jeremy Watts - Distance

We may add a few more instructors before the event.

martin
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
i should be able to help out as well that day

J_VanOver
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Where is this going to be held?

I wish we could tie in a skill shot competition after the clinic but that may have to be another day. Would be a good use of skills that were just learned if it could happen.

You could charge for the skill shot just like a tournament and have a precentage of the take go to the CVO and the rest go to payouts. Have divisions and everything.

jeremy
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Where is this going to be held?
Charlie Vettiner

jamesmcc
05-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I want to attend Scotts putting instructions I need HELP!!!

Kao
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
How long will this be going on? I really want to attend this but I work until 4:30. If its still going on or anyone wants to stick around I can be there a little after 5:00. We have two guys on vacation so I can't switch and be off.

jeremy
05-12-2010, 05:21 PM
It just really depends on how many people show up I guess. I'm sure we'll still be around by five.

Daniel
05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
How long will this be going on? I really want to attend this but I work until 4:30. If its still going on or anyone wants to stick around I can be there a little after 5:00. We have two guys on vacation so I can't switch and be off.

If it starts at 3.30, I for one will probably be around. Don't know about others...

Sunspot
05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll be there.

martin
05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
starting at 11AM there will be a 1 round fundraiser event for the bag tag fund

check out http://louisvillediscgolf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3956

martin
05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
also does anyone have any suggestions of other disc golf instruction they might be interested in? Name it

G1nked
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Nate dog can i cash in my "ride" ticket for this one? Im not sure if anyone from Indiana will be attending so if this works at all for you please let me know. I will walk if necessary I have to make this one.

thedrew3000
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
I have inventory at work, so I can't make it, I really wanted to be there though.

Adam
05-14-2010, 07:55 AM
That's too bad Drew. Are you sure you don't feel an illness coming on?

:mrgreen:

eric_g
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I've got to be at my grandfathers 80th birthday party at 2 but once that is over I'll swing by. I really need to get some extra distance.:Please:

Daniel
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I've got to be at my grandfathers 80th birthday party at 2 but once that is over I'll swing by. I really need to get some extra distance.:Please:

I could probably help you with that...I'm gettin' up there! :grin: J/K!

jeremy
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Sweet! I'd love to have you help out.

upfromtheashes
05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for putting this together! I'll be there and likely have some friends with me.

captain plastic
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Eric needs to get that pig flying
550!

Adam
05-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for putting this together! I'll be there and likely have some friends with me.

Cool, it will be nice to put a face with some of the names on here I don't know. See you there!

Daniel
05-14-2010, 09:07 PM
550!

If anyone has a cannon to do it, he does!

My D goal for this year is 500'. It may sound outlandish, but hey--that's what dreams and clinics are for! :-D

eric_g
05-15-2010, 02:05 AM
550!

Only need about 150 more feet

scottyb
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
This sounds like a great idea.... what about a fundraising effort for the CVO where you can bid (auction) to play a round with a local pro or a pro coming into town.

I noticed they did this for the Gentleman's Club Challenge and it seemed to go over very good. Also seems like a great way to raise funds.. just an idea.

jeremy
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
That's a good idea. We may do something like this. This was kind of a spur of the moment thing that we threw together. That's something we can look into for the future for sure though.

martin
05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I think we should run a tournament like the little 1 day event that Poor Boy Discs sponsored in bowling green before the BGAMS

They did rated rounds for players - rolling start times - you could even pay a few bucks to play again later and try and better your rated score

really cool idea for an XC-Tier - great fundraiser option as well

jeremy
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
It's THIS Sunday at 3:30...don't forget.

EddieBTrue
05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Jeremy, Personally I'd like some sort of 'pamphlet' in regard to DG terminology; and perhaps a breakdown of the differences in plastics (I.E. Champion versus Pro et al). I hear the term 'turnover shot' quite often; but am clueless to exactly what that entails. I played Lovers Lane in Bowling Green a month ago; and there was a guy out there who was strictly throwing 'bombs' between two 500 foot holes; and not only was he taking a pseudo 'run' before throwing, he was basically releasing the disc vertically versus a slight hyzer or annie. The bottom line is I'd love to be a part of a clinic; and would probably bring all 3 of my teenagers. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. Sincerely, Roger

jeremy
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Roger,

The clinic IS happening...this Sunday at 3:30.

Here's a very general list of terms:

Anhyzer - An anhyzer throw is when you tilt your disc so that the left side of the disc is higher than the right side. This results in right fade when the disc is released.

Backhand - A backhand throw is a standard throw where the player has the disc accross their chest to their opposite shoulder and then releases the disc back to the other side of their body.

Drive - This is a term used when a player has a long range throw .

Falling Putt - When a player steps in front of their mini marker.

Forehand - A forehand throw is a standard throw where the player has the disc accross their chest to their opposite shoulder and then releases the disc back to the other side of their body. Same as a side arm throw.

Hammer - The disc is released from a verticle angle. This causes the disc to fly very high and return to the ground upside-down. Also known as an overhand throw. Also known as a Tomohawk, or an overhand throw.

Helix - A very nice throw when pulled off. This type of throw results in an s-shaped or backwards s shaped pattern. Often used for getting around complex obstacles.

Hyzer - A hyzer throw is the exact opposite of an anhyzer throw. The disc is tilted so that the left side of the disc is lower than the right causing the disc's flight to turn left.

Overhand - The disc is released from a verticle angle. This causes the disc to fly very high and return to the ground upside-down. Also known as a Tomohawk, or a Hammer throw.

Pancake - A common method for skipping a disc. The disc is released in a way that it is turned upside-down.

Putt - This is a short throw where the player is attempting to land the disc in the nearby basket.

Roller - A method used to make the disc roll on it's side. The throw can be accomplished a couple of ways. One way is to throw the disc as if you would throw it like a sidearm throw but raising the disc to your shoulder (like you would throw a baseball). Another approach is to throw the disc with an extreme anhyzer. A great "roller" disc would be Discraft's "Stratus".

Sidearm - A sidearm throw is the exact opposite to a backhand throw. The sidearm throw is where the player starts out with the disc away from their body and then pulls back towards the body. Sidearm is a good throw for right fade flights for right handers (and opposite for left handers)

Stability - This term refers to the results of a discs flight. If a disc is stable it will fly straight. Understable is a disc that turns right. Overstable is a disc that turns left.

Tomohawk - The disc is released from a verticle angle. This causes the disc to fly very high and return to the ground upside-down. Also known as an overhand, or Hammer throw.

Turnover - This is a disc with an unstable flight

jeremy
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day Sunday. Depending on the number of people that show up we can do this a couple different ways. We can do a few individual "classes" teaching specifics like distance, putting, etc. OR we could just put one pro on a tee pad with a couple ams and play around together. The pro could help dissect the ams style and technique and help to enhance each players ability. Which way would you guys prefer to do it?

Daniel
05-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day Sunday. Depending on the number of people that show up we can do this a couple different ways. We can do a few individual "classes" teaching specifics like distance, putting, etc. OR we could just put one pro on a tee pad with a couple ams and play around together. The pro could help dissect the ams style and technique and help to enhance each players ability. Which way would you guys prefer to do it?

I think either way would work, but it really depends on the number of people. Plus, I want to go to the D clinic! :Please:

upfromtheashes
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I would say that any method involving more individual (or personalized) instruction would be the most beneficial, but depending on turnout may not be feasible. Personally, I think that I need some specific help with my driving form in order to "fix what's broke". I've read many many threads/articles and watched many videos on how to throw a disc the right way...and I have some ideas of some things I might be doing wrong, but what would really help me the most would be for an expert to say "Ok bud, you are doing THIS and THIS, and you really need to be doing it like THIS and THIS."

That being said, I don't expect to be able to receive that kind of coaching at this event, and honestly I'd be happy with just a few "AHA!" moments during the course of the entire clinic.

Daniel
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I would say that any method involving more individual (or personalized) instruction would be the most beneficial, but depending on turnout may not be feasible. Personally, I think that I need some specific help with my driving form in order to "fix what's broke". I've read many many threads/articles and watched many videos on how to throw a disc the right way...and I have some ideas of some things I might be doing wrong, but what would really help me the most would be for an expert to say "Ok bud, you are doing THIS and THIS, and you really need to be doing it like THIS and THIS."

That being said, I don't expect to be able to receive that kind of coaching at this event, and honestly I'd be happy with just a few "AHA!" moments during the course of the entire clinic.

Let me know sometime and we'll go out and practice in a field. That's the best way to diagnose problems. Chris (Sunspot) and I have helped each other quite a bit recently...just let one of us know!

jeremy
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM

When I did the distance clinic at the Fun Farm I actually had every participant throw and I tried to give specific help to suit each players needs. You may very well recieve that kind of coaching.

If we just play around you'll also recieve that kind of one on one instruction. I remember, back in the day, playing with Greenwell and he would pick a part my form and give me on the spot advice. That stuff is priceless. We would get to see every aspect of your game and give advice to suit if we played around with you all.

Kao
05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Either way is fine with me. Unless work is cutting hours I will be late to the event and can't wait.

Kao
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Either way is fine with me. Unless work is cutting hours I will be late to the event and can't wait.

They had hours to spare so I will be on time!

chuck
05-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Wanted to be there, but I'll be helping my son with his physics final. :bang:

J.Frankel
05-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I guess what I hope to get out of today is just some helpful tips with every facet of the game. I've only been playing (like really trying to improve) for 3 years. While my playing partner and myself have seen growth in my game over the last few years, I think some personal instruction would be great as I am very limited in my disc golf game. Still rely on only backhand shots, can't throw anything else thus limiting my improvement. Does anyone just do some "coaching" other than these clinics? Just wondering....

Daniel
05-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I guess what I hope to get out of today is just some helpful tips with every facet of the game. I've only been playing (like really trying to improve) for 3 years. While my playing partner and myself have seen growth in my game over the last few years, I think some personal instruction would be great as I am very limited in my disc golf game. Still rely on only backhand shots, can't throw anything else thus limiting my improvement. Does anyone just do some "coaching" other than these clinics? Just wondering....

Most every pro or good am will help if you ask. I certainly will. If you PM me in advance, I can possibly meet you for a round or so (I have two kids, so I need advance warning).

captain plastic
05-23-2010, 07:15 PM
WoW! What little bit of the clinic I saw (heard)
looked fantastic.

Local pros just dishing out the knowledge. Giving
away all the secrets. Just kidding. Really nice to
see such a large group.

Kao
05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah the turnout was great! Many thanks go out to Jeremy, Dave, Scott, Daniel, and Eric! Hopefully Adam got some good footage of the action!

jeremy
05-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, awesome turnout. 32 people in attendance. We'll most definitely do more in the near future.

kirvin2
05-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks to Dave, Scott, Jeremy, Daniel and Eric. It was a very informative afternoon. I've been working on stuff tonight that I learned today. Good stuff. Thanks again.

EricH
05-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I was very impressed by the people presenting the information as well as the turnout (I brought three as well as myself). I went away with alot to think about. I will let it all sink in and put it in play as soon as I can get back out there. Thanks to all involved with the clinic. I will be at any future events. Gonna get me a trash can lid to toss at the basket, (thanks U of L man (I'm bad with names)). I'm hooked on disc golf!!!

jeremy
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I forgot to mention the donations that were received for the CVO. We did NOT mention donations at the event but one of the participants brought it up and $60 was donated to the CVO. Thank you so much for helping to grow our tournament.

Adam
05-25-2010, 10:55 AM
The video turned out pretty good. I hope to get that edited and posted on the website soon.

Sunspot
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks to all who put on the clinic. It was informative and I look forward to the next clinic that we will have.

BTW, I was playing Iroquois today with Daniel and Eric and threw that roller that Dave showed us during the clinic. Needless to say, it saved me a stroke or two. Great get out of trouble shot.

Adam
05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I can't wait to get out in the field and practice some of those rollers.

jeremy
05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
sounds great but i probably wont be able to get to it again.

Hey Shawn. I hate that you missed the clinic but thanx to the GIF in your signature I can give you a couple quick pointers that will help you a bit. Your form looks pretty solid until you're at the end of your run up and you plant your leading foot. At that point it looks like you're using nothing but your arm and shoulder. The core of your body comes to a halt and your shoulder actually pulls you down a bit as you're throwing.

Get your core (stomach and hips) more involved. Use your hips and stomach to turn more and generate more power. Once your lead foot is planted try to stay upright. Using the words of Brennan Doyle, think of the posture of an Olympic ice skater when they're in a spin. Back straight, arms close to the body.

Hope you can make it out to the next clinic.

Airborne
05-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Like I said Shawn, open your hips. Good follow thru, opposite elbow pointing at your disc.

G1nked
05-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys I should update the video I have added the follow thru and get a better snap from it but way far away from consistent yet. It will come I will not give up.