PDA

View Full Version : disc dying vinyl

sublyme
05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
so i just tried to dye my valkrie and after a long time, messing with the stencil and vinyl and cutting.. i have found that the stupid dx plastic doesnt hold the dye at all! the walk through i had said not as well.. thats evidently not true' It didn't hold the dye at all! Anyway, does anyone know where i can get some adhesive vinyl in town? i only had a little bit, but thats going to be gone next disc i try and so far i have been unsuccessful at doing it right..

Daniel
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Have you tried boiling the dye and placing the disc face down in the dye? If it's going to take, it will take this way. DX will hold a little color, but will fade pretty quickly.

Try some place like Signs Now or Fast Signs for vinyl. Those are the places I've heard people talk about.

I have a friend on line that cuts stuff out for me for $2 or $3 per cut. I've dyed two discs using his cuts (he has a plotter) and they both have turned out beautifully.

Another tip I found to work well is use liquid rit mixed with liquid hand soap to thicken it. Works like a charm.

Adam
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I can't answer your question about where to get adhesive vinyl, but you might want to check out the disc dying section of dgcoursereview if you have any more questions.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Kao
05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I have heard that dx will take but you have to cook it longer than the other plastic types.

sublyme
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a friend on line that cuts stuff out for me for $2 or $3 per cut. I've dyed two discs using his cuts (he has a plotter) and they both have turned out beautifully..

does he have a website or just do it in his spare time?
if i could get a few, that would be great!

J_VanOver
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I ordered a roll of vinyl from ebay for 15-20 bucks that should last me for 30+ discs. I use sign vinyl for the stencil and then use contact paper to cover the rest of the disc.

I have only had luck on white DX discs and I came close to warping it. I had to put the disc in a still very hot pot of dye. You can also try painting the dye into the stencil. Make the dye with very little water and lots of dye. The thicker the better. Get a 10in (or wider) stainless steel pot (or skillet) and put about 3/4inch or less water in it. Pour in half a pack or more of the Rit Dye. Bring to boil and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Let cool and keep stirring. The less water the better. The "Magic" is the stuff that is the granular stuff that really didn't mix up. You can either place the disc in face down or use a small paint brush that you do hobbies with to paint the dye on. That is what I can tell you from my experience.

I wouldn't waste time trying on DX. If you want to practice try to get some used discs or trade one good disc for a lot of used discs from friends. Star plastic also fades after a short while. Champion type is the best. Discraft glo discs do not work very well either.

Good luck

Daniel
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Discraft glo discs do not work very well either.
I had VERY good results with my Z Glo Buzzz. I've heard other's have had good results as well.

J_VanOver
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I had VERY good results with my Z Glo Buzzz. I've heard other's have had good results as well.

Sorry, forgot about Z Glo. This was on the old photon glo. Which I think was pro D plastic with the glow agent added.

Daniel
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry, forgot about Z Glo. This was on the old photon glo. Which I think was pro D plastic with the glow agent added.

Yeah, that's a whoooooole different animal! :grin: