PDA

View Full Version : Selling discs?

Adam
05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I didn't want to hijack the CV Sponsor thread so I started a new one.

The disc we have are going to be used up for the FATPAD! I am about to place an order with Innova. If we need to get some disc let me know.

This was discussed at the officers meeting so I'm gonna throw it out there and see what people think. Should the club buy some discs to sell as fundraisers? I don't think we should buy a lot, but if we buy 25 or 50 of the newest, hottest thing then we'll be able to move the discs fast so we don't have a bunch of money tied up in plastic.

Star Katana's just came out in regular production so maybe we should order some. It's already a popular disc and I'm sure it will sell even faster at normal Star plastic price rather than CFR price. It could be a good way for the club to raise a little money for the CVO.

Any other discs you can think of that are in high demand right now?

Maybe we could get the discs custom stamped with something cool like the new club logo or the characture of Dave Feldberg?

Thoughts?

illyB
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
I like the Feldberg caricature idea. Star Katanas sound good

captain plastic
05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
The CFR program is the way to go.
They are cheap and usually great disc.

Kao
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
What are the previous best sellers? The newest thing is not always the greatest but are sought after items. I think a mix of new disc and older best sellers is the best way to go. What about some other brands? I would like to get my hands on a few custom stamped z Predators in the future and there are alot of Buzzz throwers here.

Russ
05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
I didn't want to hijack the CV Sponsor thread so I started a new one.

This was discussed at the officers meeting so I'm gonna throw it out there and see what people think. Should the club buy some discs to sell as fundraisers? I don't think we should buy a lot, but if we buy 25 or 50 of the newest, hottest thing then we'll be able to move the discs fast so we don't have a bunch of money tied up in plastic.

Star Katana's just came out in regular production so maybe we should order some. It's already a popular disc and I'm sure it will sell even faster at normal Star plastic price rather than CFR price. It could be a good way for the club to raise a little money for the CVO.

Maybe we could get the discs custom stamped with something cool like the new club logo or the characture of Dave Feldberg?

Thoughts?

CFR's are cheap. They only cost $6 a piece, the problem lies with those who charge $25 a disc. No one said they had to be sold for that price, it is just a suggested price. In todays market $25 is kinda steep. Its no different than the State saying no to a disc golf course. Sure you want to pay for it but the state still has to fund maintaining it. Money is tight and if all the business owners of the world would figure out that lowering the price actually sells more, we would all be in good shape. You can sell way more discs much faster at a cheaper price. Yes you have to sell more to make up the difference but they will sell at twice the rate. Think about it!

scottyb
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Thoughts?

Get some CFR Glo Teebirds and I'll buy 2. Go with the characture, I think that's a really good idea/stamp.

jeremy
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The Feldberg caricature is started and looks AMAZING!

Adam
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
CFR's are cheap. They only cost $6 a piece, the problem lies with those who charge $25 a disc. No one said they had to be sold for that price, it is just a suggested price. In todays market $25 is kinda steep. Its no different than the State saying no to a disc golf course. Sure you want to pay for it but the state still has to fund maintaining it. Money is tight and if all the business owners of the world would figure out that lowering the price actually sells more, we would all be in good shape. You can sell way more discs much faster at a cheaper price. Yes you have to sell more to make up the difference but they will sell at twice the rate. Think about it!

Yup, that's how supply and demand works.

Adam
05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I was looking at the CFR list and I'm pretty excited about a couple discs on there. I don't want to give anything away in case we decide not to order it, but I am drooling on my keyboard a little.

martin
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I think if the club buys discs - we need a plan to utilize them -

we dont just want them sitting in boxes to sell on the course

We need to use them for fundraising purposes directly -

skins tourneys - non-sanctioned events -

Adam
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree Martin.

Selling discs is a nice way to raise money but we don't need a bunch of the club's money tied up in discs that are just sitting around. I'm not sure what the right number to buy is. Jeremy and I were talking about this and we were thinking 50 Champion Katanas. And maybe we could get 25 Champion Glow Teebirds or Gazelles.

Yeah, I said it. They have max weight Champion Glow Gazelles, how awesome is that!

Instead of running a non-sanctioned event maybe we could make discs available at the Wednesday league, the Thursday league (yes it's starting soon), Jeremy said he could take some to the Tuesday league, Martin golfs a lot and might be willing to take some with him. If we divide them up like that so a broad range of people will have an opportunity to buy them, I don't think it would be too hard to sell 50 or 75 discs. Of course there's nothing wrong with running a non sanctioned or skins tournament too. Maybe we should do both?

Russ
05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Supply and Demand? Are you serious Adam? There doesn't seem to be a huge plastic shortage in this country. Just keep going with the big Corporate mentality, your slowly cutting your own throats! We aren't playing the stock market, we are playing disc golf! Im laughing my butt off right now at the way some of you think!

Adam
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Supply and Demand? Are you serious Adam? There doesn't seem to be a huge plastic shortage in this country. Just keep going with the big Corporate mentality, your slowly cutting your own throats! We aren't playing the stock market, we are playing disc golf! Im laughing my butt off right now at the way some of you think!

When did I say there's a "huge plastic shortage"? Corporate mentality, stock market? Did you use enough hot button words there?

I'm laughing my butt off that you have no idea what I'm talking about, assume you do, and are calling me out and laughing at me for being right. Did you fail economics in high school or do you not know how to google anything?

captain plastic
05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Until a better inventory system is developed
the club owning disc has proven to be troublesome.

Using some disc for a tournament is a great idea.
Having inventory (besides CFR) is touchy.

We should buy some CFR. The prices are just
too good to pass on.

Adam
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Until a better inventory system is developed
the club owning disc has proven to be troublesome.

That's a good point I was also thinking about. If we buy discs and spread them out to different people to sell, we'll definitely need to keep track of how many discs each person has so we'll know how much money need to come back when they're all gone. This would make it easier for the individual and the club to keep track of things.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
So is this still on? I'd love to get my hands on some new disks.

eric_g
07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I've got some discs for sale if you're interested.

http://louisvillediscgolf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4096

jeremy
07-29-2010, 08:10 AM
So is this still on? I'd love to get my hands on some new disks.
We still have Glow CFR Wraiths and Star Rocs. The Katanas sold out.

ruhrohraggy
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
What kinds of Star Rocs do you all have?

jeremy
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Ranchos with a full color stamp.