PDA

View Full Version : New Course Update - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park

J_VanOver
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
For those of you who haven't read the posting in another thread there is a potential for a new course to be installed at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park. Here is the latest update:

1. Course proposal was submitted to the Park Director at Tom Sawyer today.

2. The response that I got from the Park Director today:

"Thanks Jason…proposal on the surface looks like great. I will need to start our process of review. Give me a few weeks for a general response. Thanks!!"

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Again, please do not call and harass the park director. It is still up in the air and we don't want to jeapordize the course.

On another note, please start considering fundraising for the course if it does go through. This will be 100% paid for by us, the golfing community. Time to show your support to what we all love. I will have more details about the how the funding will take place if it gets approved. Just start thinking on what or how you can contribute.

Adam
04-21-2010, 05:34 PM
If the LDGC becomes a non-profit (501 C 3), we can do fundraising while we do our grocery shopping. Kroger has a program that will give back 4% of sales to a charitable organization.

All we have to do is buy gift cards and resell them to cost anyone who wants to participate. All the cards will be linked to the fundraising account so they'll know how much we spend and thus how much to give us. There is one catch, but it's very minor. Before you check out, you have to put money back on the gift cards, then use the gift card to pay. Here's the link to Kroger's site where it is explained better:

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/024/Pages/fundraising_faq.aspx

Daniel
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
What about using the baskets from OCP, even though they're not the best, it's better than having to buy brand new ones. Thoughts? I don't think they're being used anywhere else, are they? Plus, they are the state's property, right?

Adam
04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I thought Otter Creek was a city park. Because the city of Louisville ran it and that's why it got closed, right?

I'm not sure if we can get a city park to give baskets to a state park. In government terms, that probably like crossing the streams. And as we all know, you never cross streams unless there's a giant stay puft marshmallow man involved

With that said, it would be awesome if we could at least get those baskets loaned to us. And as money is raised, we could buy new ones give the OCP baskets back. But I'm not holding my breath.

Daniel
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I thought Otter Creek was a city park. Because the city of Louisville ran it and that's why it got closed, right?

I'm not sure if we can get a city park to give baskets to a state park. In government terms, that probably like crossing the streams. And as we all know, you never cross streams unless there's a giant stay puft marshmallow man involved

With that said, it would be awesome if we could at least get those baskets loaned to us. And as money is raised, we could buy new ones give the OCP baskets back. But I'm not holding my breath.

You're right, now that I think about it. I think they were possibly going to switch Tom Sawyer for OCP at one time, maybe that's what I was thinking...who knows! :neutral:

I think if someone approached them, we could probably get 'em. What are they doing right now--rusting in a garage? I guess kinda like the CV baskets were for all those many years...but that's another story...

Kao
04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the update Jason!

jeremy
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
The OCP baskets are going to stay at OCP. With the exception of the OCP baskets that are at Muldraugh. If we removed the baskets from OCP we would be less likely to get a course reinstalled when the park reopens.

Daniel
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
The OCP baskets are going to stay at OCP. With the exception of the OCP baskets that are at Muldraugh. If we removed the baskets from OCP we would be less likely to get a course reinstalled when the park reopens.

Will it ever re-open? I didn't even know that was an option...

J_VanOver
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I want to appologize about my post. It sounds kind of cryptic about the funding. I want to try to be as open as possible with what is going on but the approval has be done in stages and I don't want to say one thing and then it changes as the approval process goes along.

Some options that have been discussed with the park director so far:
1. Selling longterm hole sponsorships that could be sold to approved businesses for $750-1000. There may be some issue with alcohol/tobacco related stores buying sponsorships due to being a kid friendly public park.
2. Overall course sponsorship like a Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium type sponsorship.
3. Club fundraising like what has been mentioned. We just raise money from tournaments, discs, gift cards, etc.

I have another option similar to what Adam posted about Kroger that is a purchasing card that can be used at a variaty of locations. You load it up before you go out and you can spend money at different locations. You don't have to spend all of it at the same place either. It's like a rechargable Visa and the club would earn 6%.

http://www.gregscard.com

Sunspot
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
"Thanks Jason…proposal on the surface looks like great. I will need to start our process of review. Give me a few weeks for a general response. Thanks!!"

Does this mean that it will take a few weeks for them to pass it on to Frankfort or does it mean that it will take a few weeks before we have a "yes" or "no" answer?

Adam
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Good point.

jeremy
04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Will it ever re-open? I didn't even know that was an option...
There are RUMORS that it may re-open as soon as this summer. My name has been left with the contacts at OCP and I taped signs to the baskets that say "Call me when you want to reinstall the course." This way, whoever the next owner of the park is will see the baskets and say "What are these?" and then they'll see the signs and hopefully call me. :)

Kao
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
There are RUMORS that it may re-open as soon as this summer. My name has been left with the contacts at OCP and I taped signs to the baskets that say "Call me when you want to reinstall the course." This way, whoever the next owner of the park is will see the baskets and say "What are these?" and then they'll see the signs and hopefully call me. :)

Well lets keep our fingers crossed and hope they are not rumors!

Daniel
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Good move. We can hope, but I've heard too many "rumors" of new courses, etc., to get too excited. (CV was "in the works" for 5 or 6 years before it was fully in.)

Granted, I do have my fingers crossed! I do love me some OCP!

J_VanOver
04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Does this mean that it will take a few weeks for them to pass it on to Frankfort or does it mean that it will take a few weeks before we have a "yes" or "no" answer?

I don't know. He told me that he would keep in touch as it progresses so I will update on the board when I hear something.

J_VanOver
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I emailed the park director today for an update. Not great news for now but hopefully just on hold until the state budget is passed. Here is our conversation (start from the bottom email and read up):

Chris,
Thank you for the update. Although disappointing to hear, I am hopeful that we will be able to put a course into Tom Sawyer when the time is right and with very little impact on your budget allocation from the state. Hopefully seeing that the club intends to pay for everything that we possibly can will help expedite their decision when the time comes. We have a list of volunteers that are excited about the opportunity to install a new course and will be waiting to hear the outcome. I think that we are both on the same page that a disc golf course will be an addition to the park's already established list of great family activities. If there is anything that I can do, please let me know and I will ensure that it will be taken care of. Thank you again for the opportunity to work with the park on this project.
Jason Van Over

"Head, Chris (PARKS)"
05/06/2010 09:34 AM
To
<Jason.Vanover@dana.com>
cc

Subject
RE: Disc Golf Course proposal

Jason…Unfortunately, the current state budget situation has stalled any process for facility development. I, like you, am anxious to see how this proposal could possibly work but am at the mercy of the passing of a state budget. It looks like we will be in wait mode until the passing of a budget or July 1st deadline. I will email you when I hear something. Thanks!!

From: Jason.Vanover@dana.com [mailto:Jason.Vanover@dana.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:08 AM
To: Head, Chris (PARKS)
Subject: RE: Disc Golf Course proposal

Hi Chris,
I just wanted to check in to see if there had been any progress on the project. If you need any more information from me please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jason Van Over
Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
Light Vehicle Driveline
Dana Holding Corporation
12720 Westport Rd. Suite F
Louisville, KY 40245
502-423-8824 x122
502-429-8245 fax
jason.vanover@dana.com
www.dana.com (http://www.dana.com)

Kao
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I hope the budget plan goes well because they say that state parks will be the first thing cut if it doesn't. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully we will have this course.

Adam
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
This is the second time we've heard something like this now with Charlestown State Park being the first. We offer to pay for the course, and they tell us they don't have the funds for it. I'm I missing something?

At any rate, Chris sounds fairly positive about the whole thing so hopefully it will work out when the time's right.

J_VanOver
05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
This is the second time we've heard something like this now with Charlestown State Park being the first. We offer to pay for the course, and they tell us they don't have the funds for it. I'm I missing something?

At any rate, Chris sounds fairly positive about the whole thing so hopefully it will work out when the time's right.

I think it will depend on if the park stays open and then they have to budget for grass maintenance (mowers, staff, etc.) even if we do and pay for everything else.

I feel very good about our relationship with Chris. He has been positive about having a course there from the first time I spoke to him and then every time that I spoke to him or Dave and I met with him after that. He asks very thorough questions and takes what we are doing serious. He is ultimately responsible for what happens at the park and I don't think he wants to be known for putting in something that doesn't benefit it.

Sunspot
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I hope they say yes.

Bubby Hill
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Nice effort Jason.

jeremy
05-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Can't wait to hear more about this.

Sunspot
05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I saw where the new bill got passed by the house. Hopefully the budget will get finalized and we will be able to know whether or not we can have a course installed.

Adam
05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I really hope things work out so a course can be installed there. :Please:

Sunspot
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Looks like they finally passed it:

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Kentucky-lawmakers-finally-pass-a-state-budget-after-a-five-day-special-session-95162569.html

Apparently nothing is going to be shut down, which means it may be on for Tom Sawyer.:D

J_VanOver
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Update 7/6/10:

I spoke with the Tom Sawyer Park Director last week on the 2nd to check on the progress. He confirmed that he has sent the proposal that I drafted in for budget approval. Right now it seems that they are working on a month to month budget. He is still very positive about having a course there and even said that he understands the benefits of it being there but has to allocate a budget to mow grass and maintenance activities once we install it. He said he would let me know as soon as he hear's anything. I of course will pass it on as soon as I know.

Now if anyone wants to volunteer to mow the grass for free....:whistle:

Daniel
07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Update 7/6/10:

I spoke with the Tom Sawyer Park Director last week on the 2nd to check on the progress. He confirmed that he has sent the proposal that I drafted in for budget approval. Right now it seems that they are working on a month to month budget. He is still very positive about having a course there and even said that he understands the benefits of it being there but has to allocate a budget to mow grass and maintenance activities once we install it. He said he would let me know as soon as he hear's anything. I of course will pass it on as soon as I know.

Now if anyone wants to volunteer to mow the grass for free....:whistle:

As long as I feel ok I can, or I could at least donate a mower and some gas! :mrgreen:

Sweat
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
It also looks like the Taylorsville course is going to be a go, maybe by this time next year there will be a course there.

Daniel
07-06-2010, 01:59 PM
It also looks like the Taylorsville course is going to be a go, maybe by this time next year there will be a course there.

I've heard that this course is going to be sick if the course gets put in as designed...

J_VanOver
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I've heard that this course is going to be sick if the course gets put in as designed...

DLG told me that the new park director gave him a new area to look at. Not for sure if that is the area that he was describing to you or not.

Daniel
07-06-2010, 05:35 PM
DLG told me that the new park director gave him a new area to look at. Not for sure if that is the area that he was describing to you or not.

No, this was a while ago. I also heard separately from some local players that supposedly had walked the latest course say it would be good.

Hopefully it's still a good one. One more course can't hurt! :D

Kao
07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the updates guys! I look forward to ne courses in the area!

Sunspot
07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
This is good news. Judging from what Dave was telling us about this course it sounds like it's going to be a sweet design.

Scobandit
07-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey guys, Scott Ringham here. I am the park manager at Taylorsville Lake State Park. Thought I would give you an update as to where we are on the course here. Dave is working on the design, but he is hampered by our inability to get the areas mowed. The Corp will not allow us to mow until nesting season is over. We will be clear to mow on August 1st. We will get it mowed and Dave can work his magic, but that will likely be completed in the Fall. Once we have the design compete, I will get all the necessary approvals through the Corp and the state, which are almost done now. Then it's money time. That will be the biggest challenge, but I think there is a plan in place for that. My goal, without talking to Dave and company, is to have the course open by Spring. We are looking at 27 holes at this point. The area is fantastic and will produce a great course, with Dave's magic mind. Dave and Rik have been invaluable thus far and with their continued support, we will make this happen as soon as possible.

Daniel
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Glad to hear it, Scott. I'd be one to volunteer to help as needed to get this project completed. Thanks for all your help.

MarcN27
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
count me in to im in shelbyville not a long drive for me to come out after work and put in a few hours

Airborne
07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey Scott, the Prez here. I'm sure that when the time comes, the LDGC will be able to provide all the help you will need. Dave and I have made that one of our selling points since the first meetings. I'm looking forward to walking the area with Dave when the grass is cut. Thanks for your support.

Kao
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the update Scott, I also would love to help out when the time comes!

J_VanOver
10-20-2010, 05:13 PM
I spoke with Chris today at Tom Sawyer to see how things are progressing and boy has he been busy. In the last month Tom Sawyer has hosted two cross country track meets for 4,000 runners and the Boy Scouts Centennial Jamboree that saw 12,000 Boy Scouts plus their leaders and parents.

He said that he had another cross country track meet coming up in a few weeks to work on and then would contact Frankfort to check on a budget update to get some money to mow grass.

I will update when I hear something.

Sunspot
04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Has there been any new information concerning the Tom Sawyer park?

J_VanOver
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I called again today and no movement.

So...I have now presented to 3 different park managers at Tom Sawyer. They are looking for a full time park manager right now. Anyone interested????

Two of the park managers that I have spoken to were from the Frankfort office and are coming to the park on a temporary basis to just keep things working.

All three have sounded positive about putting a course there but have always had the same answer - "We have to look at the budget".

The proposal for the course has the cost of equipment covered by donations or sponsorships. There is no cost for any equipment, signs, teepads, etc to the park. If the course ever folded, the club would own everything and would have to come get everything that was purchased.

The only cost to the park is grass mowing and picking up garbage from the garbage cans. I was told by two of the park managers that other sports at Tom Sawyer (soccer, RC planes) pay for or do their own mowing. I really believe that if we had the ability to mow or pay to mow then we could start as soon as we wanted. If anyone has an idea for a sustainable way to have the course mowed and covered by the club, please let me know.

captain plastic
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
We could start a foundation to take care of the mowing.
I am serious about this. I will make the first donation.
Leagues, a separate club of sorts with higher dues to pay for this.

I have heard of this at other courses. I think DeLaveaga has something like this.

Sunspot
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't mind donating money or paying extra in club fees for the upkeep.

John
10-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Any movement on this?

Daniel
10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Any movement on this?
I was just going to post about this. Last I heard, it was on "hold". That sucks, as it's less than 5 minutes from my house...

Mike_D
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
lol the east end seems to have everything

BUT a disc golf course lol

jobwilson82
10-11-2011, 02:11 PM
lol the east end seems to have everything

BUT a disc golf course lol

Is CV not considered east?

Mike_D
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
It is BUT I mean deep east end. the high end part of the city

xTOMMYxIRISHx
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
CV is J-town which is nothing like the East. Job where we got food that night was East.

Daniel
10-12-2011, 09:02 AM
JTown is east. I live *right next to* JTown and I live near the corner of hurstborne and shelbyville rds. (In fact, I could throw a Buzzz into JTown from my property!) JTown is pretty large. The Northeast part of the city is the high rent district...(the stuff like Riverfields and out into Oldham county)

CV is more Southeast, honestly. Bardstown Rd near the Snyder is definitely Southeast, so Billtown Rd would be as well...

Mike_D
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
lol i never knew when i said east end it was going to cause such a divide or where what parts of the city is what lol

I think of it like this.

west of 65 to river SOUTHWEST END
between 65 & 64 SOUTHEAST END
64 to 71 EAST END
71 to river NORTHEAST END

Never the less i hope we can get one put in out there

xTOMMYxIRISHx
10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
So Daniel what would you call Westport Rd? Just East? I'm in J-town now but am moving right across from the park. lol!