PDA

View Full Version : george rogers clark park

dr.chainslove
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Just wanted to see if anyone has looked into a possible disc golf course at this park on poplar level rd across from st. x. The setup is phenomenal for a good 9 hole or a creative 18 hole course. Tons of elevation, mature trees, grass frequently mown by the city, nobody other than the occassional dog-walker is out there, etc. etc. A friend of mine used to live on Mckinley next to the park and I'd set up my skillshot all over the place. There are tons of possibilities for great course design. It reminds me of otter creek but with more elevation.

We need a course inside the watterson x-way!!

Anybody looked into this? For those who have already worked with the city on other courses, is this even a feasible idea?

thanks!

dr.chainslove
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
bueller? anyone? Nobody else drives by this park and has disc golf fantasies?

Airborne
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Having a course at GRC Park has long been a wish of mine. We had an object course there years ago and DLG had a temp course that was very good. The Parks Dept has no plans to allow a couse there, plus the locals have always been against it.

weeman
05-15-2010, 06:05 PM
hey steve, i'd like to see the layout for that temp course and the object course. i live less than five minutes away and it'd be nice to get out there with a disc or two on a nice day to practice a bunch of random shots away from an actual course.

jeremy
05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I used to go out there and throw during my lunch breaks when I worked in Louisville. I LOVE the terrain at that park. I wish we hadn't messed up our opportunity there.

Sunspot
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I went to metro parks website and found disc golf listed under george rogers park. You can find it in this pdf link: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/6D251BD9-049B-4F80-8903-477EB1897938/0/Clark_GeorgeRogers_Web.pdf

I wonder if this is old or if it means anything.

Adam
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
The pdf was first created in Aug 2006 and last updated Sept 2007. I'm guessing its an error on their part because if they had any plans for a course there it seems like Dave would know about it.

Anyone know when the temp course was set up there?

Atvizory2000
06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know why metro parks or the city of Louisville seems to refuse every plan to set up a disc golf course? Being the 16th biggest city in the U.S. and we have just 2! It just seems like they are way behind compared to other cities. Ive seen many threads about possible courses but they all seem to just fall through, even when people will donate money for the baskets. How many overgrown softball or soccer fields do we need lol

gjjinx3103
06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I got a course there been playing there for 30+ years And yes I would like to know why we cant get more courses here

Dupis
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I would love to see a course there too. To be honest though, I've never even considered the idea until I read this thread. I live right off Poplar Level, a few blocks from the Zoo, so the drive to GRC would obviously be very optimal for me. I actually do go there sometimes to play tennis and basketball. It's a nice place but not too big. I've never really ventured to the "wooded" areas though or anyplace another than the courts. I'm guessing only a 9 hole course would work well.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine some people have been against it because St X I know uses the park for their cross country practices and other sports too I think. Some other schools around there might use the park too. Parking could be a challenge as well, because it can get a little congested around there with cars. I know some X students park over there. And I bet the neighbors around there have voiced opposition also. Above all, I just doubt that the course is big enough to have a good, safe course without taking up too much of the space there, and thus interfering with other people's interests.

Dupis
06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
And BTW, on a separate note, I have a good friend who works at/for the Parklands of Floyds Fork, and he has told me several times that a disc golf course is in their plans. Unfortunately though, it's apparently part of the last phase.

This obviously doesn't satisfy the op's desire (and mine) to have a course "inside the watterson x-way," but it's worth noting.

weeman
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
I would love to see a course there too. To be honest though, I've never even considered the idea until I read this thread. I live right off Poplar Level, a few blocks from the Zoo, so the drive to GRC would obviously be very optimal for me. I actually do go there sometimes to play tennis and basketball. It's a nice place but not too big. I've never really ventured to the "wooded" areas though or anyplace another than the courts. I'm guessing only a 9 hole course would work well.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine some people have been against it because St X I know uses the park for their cross country practices and other sports too I think. Some other schools around there might use the park too. Parking could be a challenge as well, because it can get a little congested around there with cars. I know some X students park over there. And I bet the neighbors around there have voiced opposition also. Above all, I just doubt that the course is big enough to have a good, safe course without taking up too much of the space there, and thus interfering with other people's interests.

I use to live right near there too and have gone out and made a safari course there. There's easily enough land for 18 holes with only minimal interruption from the other sport courts though I can't say for the cross country runners. I started "my" course back near the soccer field near where Filson Ave. turns into French Ave. and made a complete loop around the park for 18 holes.

Dupis
06-18-2012, 08:25 PM
That's cool. I guess I really haven't checked out the park enough.

I should start going up there to toss around the disc anyways. I usually go to Joe Creason though since it's closer for me.

weeman
06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I had always wanted to go throw over there, especially down that huge hill but every time I had thought about it while driving by it was packed with pedestrians. Same thing with some of the big hills are Cherokee.

Justin
06-18-2012, 10:27 PM
It's funny how a few people have mentioned playing their own made up course at George Rogers Clark. Daniel and I went there once and made our own as well and it was great fun. Who knows, maybe some holes/ideas we had were similar.

MarcusGresham
06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Maybe when the city gets an idea of how much money comes in from the Masters they may be a bit more receptive to the idea of funding new courses.