PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on the Charlestown, IN Park course?

GMcAtee
02-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I was wondering if there was any news on the possible course in Charlestown, IN. I have requested a transfer at my job to southern Indiana where I am origionally from, and near my wife's hometown of Louisville.

Whenever a spot opens up and I can transfer, we would be residing about 30 minutes north of Louisville. Right now, I'm in Tennessee and enjoying the abundance of disc golf courses!

Kao
04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I have been wondering about this as well and here is a response I got today from Roger:

Re: Charlestown Course

Here is the last thing I heard from the park management in January (If you or others feel it, please consider emailing Mr. Gray about your interest in a DG course at the park):

Roger,

Plans currently do not include the development of the course.

I discussed this proposal with agency leadership last fall. The decision was that no new developments would be added while our budget and funding sources are to say the least "uncertain". The budget is extremely tight and the outlook shows no improvement. I know your group's desire is to have a Charlestown area facility. Even with donated labor and supplies the agency does not want to take on this unplanned project. This is in no way a negative reflection on the group or disc golf. It is a practical decision that is in effect throughout our agency and applies to all of our State Parks and Reservoirs properties. Some previously started and/or emergency projects are ongoing.

We are not optimistic for an improved budget in the near term. We may be looking at a few years before seeing improved funding for operations and projects. We are confident however that on a statewide level we can continue providing the basic services and facilities our visitors have come to enjoy in Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs.

Thank you.

Larry G. Gray (lgray@dnr.in.gov)

Property Manager

Charlestown State Park

scottyb
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I have been wondering about this as well and here is a response I got today from Rodger:

Re: Charlestown Course

Here is the last thing I heard from the park management in January (If you or others feel it, please consider emailing Mr. Gray about your interest in a DG course at the park):

Roger,

Plans currently do not include the development of the course.

I discussed this proposal with agency leadership last fall. The decision was that no new developments would be added while our budget and funding sources are to say the least "uncertain". The budget is extremely tight and the outlook shows no improvement. I know your group's desire is to have a Charlestown area facility. Even with donated labor and supplies the agency does not want to take on this unplanned project. This is in no way a negative reflection on the group or disc golf. It is a practical decision that is in effect throughout our agency and applies to all of our State Parks and Reservoirs properties. Some previously started and/or emergency projects are ongoing.

We are not optimistic for an improved budget in the near term. We may be looking at a few years before seeing improved funding for operations and projects. We are confident however that on a statewide level we can continue providing the basic services and facilities our visitors have come to enjoy in Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs.

Thank you.

Larry G. Gray (lgray@dnr.in.gov)

Property Manager

Charlestown State Park

If you guys ever need any contact information from another Indiana State Parks/Reservoir where disc golf is a proven success at bringing in numbers let me know. I can give you contacts at Patoka Lake whom would be happy to discuss how the success of the disc golf course at there Rec Area.

What you always have to remember is that State Parks really don't care if it will increase there traffic flow too the park, more people just equals more money spent on their behalf, while still receiving the same funding from Indy.

Just keep on it, it look me over 8 years to get Patoka Lake upgraded from 9 to 18 holes w/concrete pads. Don't get discouraged, just keep on em, they will eventually go for it.

G1nked
04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
That is sad to hear. Everyone who played at the temp tourney said they like the park and would love to see it developed which definitly looks bleak now.

GMcAtee
04-26-2010, 01:42 AM
After mulling this transfer, I decided to turn it down. The $250 Indiana license plates, high property taxes, state income tax, and lack of stuff to do in Southern Indiana discouraged me. What the heck are they doing with all the tax revenue in Indiana? I'll keep my $60 Tennesse plates and no state income tax for now!

Feel free to forward that to some Indiana decison makers! lol

I'm still waiting for my Indiana tax return, also. It's been 3 months. They owe me quite a bit!