PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Advice for me :)

Caoboi
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

My wife and I are looking to possibly do some Disc Golf in the future. I don't see us doing it on a weekly or monthly basis. it would be about 3 to 4 times a year starting off I would suppose. How would you all suggest we best find information ont he sport and what types of disc should we buy?

I've been looking on amazon and founds some 3 packs by Innova

http://www.amazon.com/Innova-3-Disc-Box-Set-DX/dp/B000BX678K/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Is this something that would be a good start for us or should we just try to find some used ones from like Play it Again Sports or the such?

Any advice would be extremly helpful. I see that we have some courses here in Louisville and we're excited at the possibilty.

Thanks!

Kao
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
The starter sets are a nice way to get into the game. They are normally in the 150g range which is a good start. Disc can be purchased from local players or from stores such as Dicks, Play It Again, and Rivertown Spirits.

Caoboi
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
They are normally in the 150g range which is a good start.

I did a couple quick searches well I just looked at Wikipedia. I'm probably going to pick up this book on Disc Golf as well. but what's 150g range? is that flight distance or something?

Adam
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I normally don't recommend the Innova 3 pack since two of the discs, the Shark and Aviar, are so similar. But since this is for you and your wife, you could each use one of them and they're good for midrange shots and putts.

Here are some tips for buying discs when you're first getting started:

Stick to lighter weights. 175-180g is considered maximum weight, you'll want discs in the 150-165g range. The weight is measured in grams and printed on the back center of the disc.
It's best to start out with understable discs. Those are the discs listed near the right side of Innova's flight chart, like the Leopard, Cheetah, Archangel, Sidewinder, etc.
http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/index.html
Don't buy expensive discs. You'll want the $7, DX discs when you first get started because the newer you are, the more likely you are to lose them.
Don't buy a lot of discs.
There are lots of good tips here about driving, putting, form, etc.
http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davestips.html

Have fun!

Adam
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I did a couple quick searches well I just looked at Wikipedia. I'm probably going to pick up this book on Disc Golf as well. but what's 150g range? is that flight distance or something?

Before you pick up a book on disc golf, I would read all of Dave's tips. It's got everything you need to know to get started.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davestips.html

G1nked
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
As I just started this past summer I would reiterate everything Kao and Adam said about saving your cash on the book due to so much info on the web. look at youtube and also www.discraft.com. I think you may be surprised on how addicting this sport can become. I know my worst day of disc golf is better than any day not playing as most here would agree
I would also recommend dont read too much into technique until you go try what is comfortable to your wife and you. There seems to be a million techniques on the web so just have fun its great times. So after you give all Louisville's courses a shot drop me a line and I can show you the Sunny side of Louisville's courses here in Indiana

Airborne
02-19-2010, 05:42 AM
I would also like to invite you and your wife to become members of the LDGC. Just being around the other members and playing in leagues, will greatly improve your game.

Kao
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
If you are going by the Innova chart I would stay with a speed 6 or below also. You don't need the latest and greatest disc out there yet. I started out with a Shark and an Aviar then added a driver after I got comfortable with those.

Good starter drivers: Cyclone, Gazelle, Cheetah, Leopard
Good starter mids: Stratus, Comet, Stingray, Shark, Cobra
Good starter putters: Aviar P&A, Magnet, APX