PDA

View Full Version : What Chew Gonna Do 'Bout It!?

jeremy
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
What are you going to do to help better disc golf in your community in 2010?

martin
01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
i am contacting anyone who was a member in 2009 - bag tag member in 2009 - and any other disc golfer whose phone number i have

we need to get a great showing on January 31st

We will be setting the tone for louisville disc golf in 2010 - as well as conducting elections for officers -

thats just one thing...

J_VanOver
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Get a new course approved in Louisville.

Terry Glass
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
I am currently working on two course improvements at Buffalo Trace. I don't have approval yet, but that won't be a problem after the incredible turnout at last years tournament. Thanks to everyone who helped with the new pads and who showed up for the tourney. :bravo:

scottyb
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Run tournaments, run a league, volunteer my time on course work, get 10 new people to play disc golf, get as many courses proposed as possible... *whew*

Adam
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm in the process of trying to get Cavan Park fixed up, improve relations with Floyd County Parks Department, run a tournament, run a league, and I've got a good lead to propose a new course, but it's not in the immediate area.

G1nked
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I would like to set up a couple clinics with a few of our local pros who are willing to instruct some of the new players I am trying to introduce to the sport.

Would anyone be interested in a "membership drive clinic" to draw in new players.

I also plan to help Mr.Glass on any and all course labor that I can be of help with to better the sport.
Also I have already talked to the Harrison County Parks Department and they have agreed to let in any active duty or retired military into their parks for free.

J_VanOver
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
What are you going to do to help better disc golf in your community in 2010?

What about you Jeremy? Normal stuff? You don't have to worry about the website anymore so you should have time to run a couple more tournaments. :twisted:

jeremy
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll be running at least three tourneys, working on improvements to Muldraugh and Meade/Olin, I'll continue to work with local n00bs weekly, and I'm thinking about getting leagues started up again.

The main thing I'm going to work on is weaning myself out of Louisville.

illyB
01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
why would you wean yourself out of Louisville? I thought you lived in Ekron?

jeremy
01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
why would you wean yourself out of Louisville? I thought you lived in Ekron?
I want to wean myself from feeling obligated to pour so much effort into a community I don't even live in. I'm going to focus more on my community.

G1nked
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I cant blame you for not wanting to strengthen your area as all should want to, I want to do what I can for Buffalo Trace since I have very limited transportation and can only catch a ride from time to time. I want to see if anyone in this club will step up for louisville. It gets old quick i would imagine when the duties of the club are unevenly weighed upon certain few that seem to really care.

jeremy
01-25-2010, 08:20 AM
It gets old quick i would imagine when the duties of the club are unevenly weighed upon certain few that seem to really care.
That's a VERY accurate statement.

captain plastic
01-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Play more, sponsor tournaments with my biz,
be positvie, help new players that ask.

GetEmWet
01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Help Jeremy wean himself!!!!:wink::-D:-D:-D

The same as I've done in the past 3 years, but more of.

PDGA#26039
01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm going to fill Kroger bags with garbage from the course when I play

Terry Glass
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm going to fill Kroger bags with garbage from the course when I play

Yeah, me too! Gets old pickin' up other peoples trash, but i still do it. I see a little here and there at every course I play. :fiddle:

I'm goin' on a "Keep Our Parks Clean" campaign this year. :weee:

illyB
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I hear ya on that. I'm heading out to cv tomorrow afternoon to get some of the trash up. I'll have plenty of garbage bags if anyone wants to join in on the fun! I know it's more than us disc golfers making the mess, but I can't stand it anymore, it must be done. I plan on tying up a few extras on the most littered tee pads. When they get half way full, tie it off and place it either by the road or closest garbage can. If you smoke, take your butts out too!
R E S P E C T

G1nked
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
If I could arrange a ride I would be happy to help you Billy, I need to give you that dollar I owe you anyway from the Goatpath.

Sunspot
01-26-2010, 01:23 AM
I would like to participate more, but I have other obligations. I try to play when I can. Sometimes all I can do is go the park and practice throwing. Thankfully, I live in an area that is only about a mile away from the park.

jeremy
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I would like to participate more, but I have other obligations. I try to play when I can. Sometimes all I can do is go the park and practice throwing. Thankfully, I live in an area that is only about a mile away from the park.
See, this is part of the problem. PLEASE don’t misunderstand me, I’m not trying to scold you personally but this is the response from a huge portion of disc golfers in our community. Everyone is different and everyone has different priorities but bettering the sport is a responsibility that should burden all of us, not just a few of us.

Let’s take Nate for example. Nate works his tale off running leagues every week, he’s the treasurer of the club, and he runs tourneys. He also has a wife, two jobs, infant twins, attends church, spends time with family, and has other hobbies I’m sure. He cares about the game enough that he has made it a priority to better the sport.

I understand that there are instances where time devoted to bettering this sport could hurt someone’s marriage, or relationship with their kids/family, or effect their jobs, but almost everyone that plays this sport should be able to give back to the sport in some way or the other. In doing this it would relieve the burden from those that are able to do a lot.

Again, I’m not saying this for any other reason than to try to encourage people to do something. Without people stepping up to share the burden this club will continue to lose it’s hardest working members.