PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Kentucky State Championships

jeremy
12-15-2009, 08:09 AM
A few months ago Fred Salaz asked me if I would be interested in running the “Kentucky State Championships” in 2010. I considered it an honor that he would ask me to run an event that he has worked so hard to build over the years. We’ve agreed that the Kentucky State Championships will be at Freeman lake Park in Elizabethtown on April 3rd, 2010. This course is a prime course for a qualifying event and doesn’t get the attention it deserves. My hope is that this kind of exposure in Elizabethtown will excite the city about our sport and potentially open new doors there as well as giving exposure to a phenomenal course.

I will have all the information available for this event next month. See ya there in April.

Adam
12-15-2009, 04:06 PM
That's awesome news Jeremy. Thanks for accepting Fred's offer, it's exciting to have the state championship at Freeman Lake. This should be a great tournament to kick off the season.

G1nked
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Taking offers if anyone needs a caddy let me know, Scott ? Jeremy ? Mr. Doyle ? not about any money just the experience.

jeremy
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Taking offers if anyone needs a caddy let me know, Scott ? Jeremy ? Mr. Doyle ? not about any money just the experience.
I'd take you anytime. You should play though.

Terry Glass
12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Jeremy,

This is good news. I have a feeling that all of your hard work in the past is going to pay off in the future. Freeman Lake is an incredible course and does deserve this kind of attention. Congrats. I will try to be there.

Shawn,

You need to play. You have a bag full of plastic and a chauffeur as long as I'm going.:weee:

G1nked
12-15-2009, 08:12 PM
well thanks Jeremy I appreciate that but me being so new I dont think I would stand a chance. Sweat posted on another thread when mentioning going to Freeman that it would eat me alive so I should take his advice. I have played in just two tournaments and not did real well and got bent out of shape when the guy who won my division /rec told me afterwords he played in 30+ tournaments in 7 different states and had like 5 bag tags hanging off his Revo Backpack. I guess sandbagging is a part of the tournaments from what I have gathered so far but it just discourages me to donate money to a guy who is beating up less experienced players. I hope to overcome this feeling and play some more just for the love of the sport.
If Jeremy TD's this im sure it will be awesome as the others hes worked so hard to provide us

Terry Glass
Well if your going I may reconsider Its always a good time with you. I just need a couple pros to help me advance my game. Mr Doyle offered some great tips at the Goat Trail tournament and Im practicing those with good results.

weeman
12-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Jeremy, this is great news. This event should pull more people from all over for this tourney, being in a centralized location. Freeman Lake is a great course that should be used for tournaments like this, it's tough yet fair. I haven't really experienced the fair part of it yet, but I like to think that its out there though. Hope I can make it to this one, I plan on getting back into the tournament atmosphere next year. This event should be a great tune up for anyone playing in the BG AMs the following weekend.

Shawn, I've discovered that half the fun in going to tournaments is the atmosphere and the camaraderie you'll find with people. Play for the enjoyment of being out on the course. Play to beat the course, not the people in your group/division. People who throw out their accomplishments all the time to others are missing one of the fundamental elements of disc golf, its just a game. Sure the spirit of competition is great but not everyone has to play for the accolades. Some of my most successful rounds have been where I accomplished a personal goal like not missing any putts inside 15 feet or making sure my feet moved slowly and smoothly every tee shot. Maybe try setting your own goals in your rounds.

John
12-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Awsome news.

jeremy
12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Shawn, I've discovered that half the fun in going to tournaments is the atmosphere and the camaraderie you'll find with people. Play for the enjoyment of being out on the course. Play to beat the course, not the people in your group/division. People who throw out their accomplishments all the time to others are missing one of the fundamental elements of disc golf, its just a game. Sure the spirit of competition is great but not everyone has to play for the accolades. Some of my most successful rounds have been where I accomplished a personal goal like not missing any putts inside 15 feet or making sure my feet moved slowly and smoothly every tee shot. Maybe try setting your own goals in your rounds.
Great advice, Wyatt. :bravo: Last year I got REALLY caught up in trying to beat the field and ended up getting beat by the courses a LOT. Just have fun and relax. 75% of the experience is just meeting up with a bunch of friends to have a good time tossing some plastic. If you miss that you miss everything.

Terry Glass
12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Great advice, Wyatt. :bravo: Last year I got REALLY caught up in trying to beat the field and ended up getting beat by the courses a LOT. Just have fun and relax. 75% of the experience is just meeting up with a bunch of friends to have a good time tossing some plastic. If you miss that you miss everything.

More great advice, Wyatt and Jeremy. If I played tournaments to win something, I would never play another one. Granted, I want to win, but I have had some bad scores due to trying to hard and not relaxing. I do enjoy the people and competition. That's what keeps me coming back for more.