PDA

View Full Version : Club Duties!?

jeremy
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I posted this over a year ago in a private portion of the site for Officers only and received little response. Let's talk about it openly here. What do you expect of a disc golf club that you would be a part of. This WILL NOT turn into a bashing session. I will quickly delete ignorant bantering that doesn't result in positive progresson.

I was thinking about the LDGC today and was thinking about how our club can go to the next level. I feel like we need to know the responsibilities of our roles and hold each other accountable for our responsibilities. In order to do that we need to develop a list of what our responsibilities might be. I’ve started a rough draft for you guys to review, edit, and add to.

Am I off base thinking we need something like this and that we need accountability in doing our jobs?

President
-Essential Duties

• Schedule regular club meetings.
• Develop and work towards a successful club plan.
• Ensure club has ongoing membership building program.
• Make sure other officers know and perform their duties.
• Ensure each meeting starts and ends on time.
• Arrange for a replacement in your absence.
• Appoint committees to help out on projects and programs.
• Maintain contact with Metro Parks.
• Hold regular club Executive Committee meetings.
• Be responsible for general operation and supervision of club.
• Prepare a successor for office.

Vice President
-Essential Duties

• Aid in completion of the President’s essential duties.
• Be prepared as the successor for office.

Public Relations
-Essential Duties

• Promote club to local media.
• Produce and distribute club newsletter at least quarterly.
• Promote membership programs.
• Publiciize upcomin club events: contests, theme meetings, etc.
• Help gather information and promote club web site.
• Appoint fund raising committees.
• Be creative in ways of "getting the word out" about the LDGC.

Secretary
-Essential Duties

• Maintain accurate club roster.
• Handle general club correspondence.
• Take meeting minutes and distribute to club members.
• Arrange for replacement if unable to attend meetings.
• Ensure meeting starts and ends on time.
• Keep club files, including Charter and Bylaws
• Prepare a successor for office

Treasurer
-Essential Duties

• Collect and send dues.
• Announce several meetings before deadline that dues are due.
• Submit New Members and dues within 48 hours of new member joining.
• Understand and explain dues structure to prospective members.
• Prepare club budget to be approved by club officers.
• Present Treasurer's report to club each meeting.
• Keep records of all financial transactions.
• Maintain club bank account and access to funds.

Events Coordinator
-Essential Duties

• Assist in planning of ALL LDGC events.
• Train new event directors.
• Maintain contact with PDGA tour manager’s office.
• Maintain contact with Park’s Departments.
• Prepare a successor for office.
• Communicate new events with Web Administrator and Public Relations Officer.

martin
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
i have always asked what is the purpose of the club? when the club members come together what do they want the club to achieve?

Does our officer design work?
does having certain individuals taking on set roles work? should we consider the possibility of running our club through an executive committee with side committees in order to help spread out responsibility and to share the drive all the golfers in the club can provide

We will have elections coming up within a month? This is something the clubs focus should really be wrapped around at the moment?

Does the club build new courses?
It seems this is talked about all the time, but what does the club do? We have individuals who build courses, but the club? If it is the club I believe the club should know more about future courses so we can focus on fundraising, find sponsors, and making things happen as a club.

Does the club maintain our present day courses?
It seems that with the introduction of hole sponsorships we might be heading in that direction. I personally believe this is one of the most important aspects to build club unity. Taking care of CV (being that the Allstars are taking care of IQ) - should be a #1 priority, erosion control, course cleanup, and course maintence.

Does the club run tournaments?
It does - at least it does for one of them. The New Albanian Open is surely a club run tourney. As for the rest are they club run or run by club members? Is there a difference if so what?

Club run leagues?
Thankfully Nate has continued to run wed nights at IQ and sunday afternoons for PBL but this all the presence that our club has on the courses throughout the year. It is a slight concern that our presence is not on the courses as the allstars are running leagues at CV mondays and IQ tues, thurs, and fri, and over the winter wed nights and saturdays.
Club leagues are probably our #1 money maker which leads to my next question

What does the club need money for?
This is one i have been puzzeled about? I would really like if we could put together a budget for the year that lays out what does the club spend money on and how much do we need to bring in to make those payments.
Costs: insurance, club discs, shirts, parties, bag tags, tournaments, tournament/league sponsorships
Income: Leagues, memberships, tournaments, sponsors

G1nked
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I know I am very new to the sport and do not understand the hierarcy of the club just yet but I have had the oppurtunity to talk to several people out on the course and some have been from surrounding areas like Indy and Cincy and one fellow I played with was into course development and he had a couple ideas that I dont know if would be helpful or old news or not.
He mentioned that his club adopted courses and then had certain designated people to maintain specific holes on that course to spread the obligations. He also mentioned that in the past they had auctions on older baskets and then took the proceeds to replace the baskets with new ones. I have his contact info and will further my investigation on ideas other clubs from around the tri-state area to possibly suggest to better LDGC. I wish I could drive to become more involved but I plan to do whatever possible with what resources I have. If this post is totally mute please feel free to delete it with no hard feelings at all. Its in no way meant to sound like a blind rookie is trying to recommend anything to the veterans I just would like to help with anything at all.

jeremy
11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
This is all good discusion and valid points. What do we need to do to make things go from online chatter to action? It's good to know that three people care about having an improved club. :roll:

Adam
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I would love to see the club improved. For as long as I've been involved, it seems like there's always lots of talk but little action like Jeremy mentioned.

Maybe the solution is to change the way our officers work. Rather than having a president, vice president, etc., we could have a committee of equals. Their job description for being on the committee would be to work on projects and pursue ideas that are good for disc golf. That way they aren't tied to a position and the duties involved with that position. All the committee members could do a little and no one has to do a lot. That will set a great example for the disc golf community from the top down and hopefully encourage others to follow this example.

captain plastic
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I think the club is in pretty good shape.
Disc golf is growing in our community. The
Louisville local area is a little lacking but
that has more to do with Louisville Metro Gov.
than the club.

The club doesn't really need to be involved
in all things disc golf in my opinion. It should
serve as more of a meeting place and a place
to seed new players. I see it as more of a
information portal.

One thing is there are more events than ever
in the community. More leagues, more tournaments,
and more players. We now have two clubs. That is
fine. It's a big city and people have different agendas.

Airborne
11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
It really doesn't matter what form of leadership the club has. What matters is how active are the members, how willing are they to step up and contribute to the club activities. It is hard to get anything done when only about 25% of the members are dedicated to the future of the sport. It is the same old story, there are a lot of good ideas that jump out to say this is the way it should be done. However, there ends up to be more ideas than volunteers to take the job and carry it thru. It is hard to get a quality attendance at club meetings, but I hear about we should have more meetings. We need to have a Fund Raising Committee I've been told, but try to get somebody to head or join the committee, it's like pulling teeth. How many members have taken the TD test since I have put the word out that we need more TD's to take the pressure off of people like Jeremy, Nate and Myself? You can take it free and online, what's stopping you? I was promised help with a project from a member, but phone calls were never returned. I was told that he didn't have time to help, but while I was working on the project, he was playing leagues. He had time to play but no time to work on a club function. I really appreciate those who give their time and efforts to the LDGC, but all those people could use some help. When you join the club, you should make up your mind, be a cheerleader or be a player in the big game. It's all a matter of prioritys i guess. I didn't accept this office for personal glory, I hope to expand the sport of DG. That has been my goal for the past 2 yrs. Maybe it's time for somebody else to take over.

Russ
11-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Well my opinion does not really matter since I am not a member of the club. Adam has a great point, he wrote "Maybe the solution is to change the way our officers work. Rather than having a president, vice president, etc., we could have a committee of equals. Their job description for being on the committee would be to work on projects and pursue ideas that are good for disc golf." Seeing as how this seems to be working wonders for the All Stars I would have to say this is the way to go. I also think that the whole idea of only one or two people going to meet with city officials is a bad idea. It has been proven time and time again there is power in numbers. Now I'm not saying have 25 people show up, but a group of 10 is not too much. It shows just how serious you are as a club. Also Club dues are the soul reason why I did not sign up for the club this year. The All stars have figured out a way to raise money without club dues. So why can't the Louisville disc golf club do the same? If it's possible for one club it can be possible for the other.
On a completely different subject, how is it possible for the All stars to have permission to use small hand tools and remove brush and small downed trees at IQ, yet if we do anything at CV without signing a wavier we get in trouble? I guess what I am saying is that something isn't right. I don't know what but it needs to be solved.

jeremy
11-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I think the club is in pretty good shape.
Disc golf is growing in our community. The
Louisville local area is a little lacking but
that has more to do with Louisville Metro Gov.
than the club.

The club doesn't really need to be involved
in all things disc golf in my opinion. It should
serve as more of a meeting place and a place
to seed new players. I see it as more of a
information portal.

One thing is there are more events than ever
in the community. More leagues, more tournaments,
and more players. We now have two clubs. That is
fine. It's a big city and people have different agendas.
I think it’s easy to be deceived and think that “the club” is doing well due to the hard work of a few. As many people that we have that play this sport there should be a ton of people step up to volunteer labor, time, and ideas to making the sport better. I don’t think it would be a bad idea for “the club” to be involved in everything disc golf related. It would be awesome to be so well organized and motivated to get things done that any DG related task that came up the club could call upon it’s members to get things done.

I will say that “the club” has REALLY stepped it up for the CVO for the past few years. I would like to see that kind of unity and excitement for EVERY task that might need to be completed.

Maybe the solution is to change the way our officers work. Rather than having a president, vice president, etc., we could have a committee of equals. Their job description for being on the committee would be to work on projects and pursue ideas that are good for disc golf. That way they aren't tied to a position and the duties involved with that position. All the committee members could do a little and no one has to do a lot. That will set a great example for the disc golf community from the top down and hopefully encourage others to follow this example.
Sounds GREAT…on paper. It’s been mentioned for over a year that there is a need for a fund raising committee but it still doesn’t exist. Getting people to commit to doing ANYTHING has always been the killer.

Maybe it's time for somebody else to take over.
I think it would be VERY foolish to remove you from the loop. You’ve established the foundation for several projects that are in the works and it would be ridiculous to not have you as a member of any committee that has been spoken of. I would say that you (like me) more than likely need a little relief. It would be nice if there were people to share the burden with.

I also think that the whole idea of only one or two people going to meet with city officials is a bad idea. It has been proven time and time again there is power in numbers. Now I'm not saying have 25 people show up, but a group of 10 is not too much. It shows just how serious you are as a club.
Having a spokes persons to meet with city officials is NOT a bad idea. Sending ten people to meet with one or two people IS a bad idea. For one you would make the people you’re meeting with feel threatened and out-numbered. Secondly the space is not always available to have ten extra people standing/setting around. The spokes persons should keep detailed notes that they can relay back to the club/committee though to give everyone the opportunity to be involved.

Also Club dues are the soul reason why I did not sign up for the club this year. The All stars have figured out a way to raise money without club dues. So why can't the Louisville disc golf club do the same? If it's possible for one club it can be possible for the other.
The goal of club dues is to make people feel like they have already invested something into the club. This, in theory, should make people want to work hard to make it succeed. I think the club could continue to be as good as it is and/or as good as it will ever be with or without collecting dues. I don’t think $10 a head is going to make or break anyone.

On a completely different subject, how is it possible for the All stars to have permission to use small hand tools and remove brush and small downed trees at IQ, yet if we do anything at CV without signing a wavier we get in trouble? I guess what I am saying is that something isn't right. I don't know what but it needs to be solved.
I have wondered the same thing. What’s good for one club should be good for both.

Well my opinion does not really matter since I am not a member of the club.
Adam and I were just talking about something relating to this the other day. In the future, instead of saying “We’re having a CLUB meeting” maybe we should just say “We’re having a meeting…about disc golf. If you love disc golf and want to see/make stuff happen…be there.” I think people’s opinions are VERY important and we don’t hear enough of them. The trick is keeping them civil and respectable so that people WILL hear them.

Good discussion guys! Keep it going! I want to be a part of something AWESOME in 2010. I don’t want to be a part of something that’s only doing fine.

martin
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
commitment is the tough one. my thought on a committee that could then delegate and generate exterior committees is in hope that no one individual will feel all the weight is being carried upon there shoulders. Of course anyone who wants to pack on a little more weight and carry a few extra bags, that option would be open.

I'm just thinking...

what about a committee of say 5-7 folks (odd # to break ties on any votes), within the committee a leader/head spokesmen should be chosen to help coordinate - but otherwise all the committee members are equals

i know lots of people have great ideas and surely could be motivated - i just dont think most folks want to step out from the crowd and assume the responsibility

steve should surely be on this "committee" as the current president - he is the most informed of disc comings and goings over the past couple years

as i mentioned in an earlier post - i believe it is crucial that as a club we define what it is we are wanting to accomplish and thereby how we plan to do it in 2010.

jeremy
11-19-2009, 03:08 PM
On a related note, yet somewhat of a tangent and a bit of a rant, but something that's been on my mind. I still feel like it's stupid that our small community has 2 disc golf clubs. I know this has been discussed, but when I'm out of town at a tournament and people hear that our town has 2 clubs, it's embarrassing. And when I explain the reasoning, thats embarrassing too. Very 4th grade. One reason it sucks is that when there is a new player, they almost have to "pick sides", and they might be confused about, or unaware of the other club. Every new player that comes along and picks a club it further engrains a division. I have a dream... anyway... of 2 clubs uniting, ditching both of their old names, and starting a new club under a new name. There could still be the "Iroquois team" and the "CV team", but as it is now, it makes people not want to be a part of either, am I the only one that feels this way?

2 isn't always better than 1, especially when it makes people pick sides, or look the other way completely. Viva Club 502
Yeah, I love the majority of the Allstars. They’re mostly all great friends and I think they’re attempting to do great things but I also agree that having two separate clubs is a bit ridiculous. There is no reason at all that we can’t all work together and make things bigger, better, and stronger. For now (since there are currently two clubs) I feel that the best thing we can do is support them and encourage them to do great things. I would be down for a name change/merge. Call it whatever!

When Feldberg was here he even joked about the two club issue without being prompted. He said that local division is one of the biggest factors that’s holding disc golf back.

G1nked
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I think it was the Autobots versus the Decepticons is what Dave (Feldberg) was joking about and did say why it would not make it on ESPN because of division. I feel blessed that I am new to the sport and dont know the politics of the west side versus the east side which honestly I dont want to know, all I know is I love this sport because 99% of the people I have had the pleasure of meeting our outstanding and helpful. I am 39 years old so maybe I just dont look for that anymore now that schools out I am wise enough to know people treat one another like they want to be treated no matter where they live what their race is and if everyone followed this philosophy the world in general would be a much better place. I know also everyone has different upbringings and pasts that make us all different but everyone in LDGC & ALLSTARS has the love of the sport in common and merging could only bring better things to disc golf period. I once again am new to the sport and the "2 clubs" so the seperation is not as obvious to me as others and I hope it stays that way. I am willing to try to help while my desire is still strong and not clouded by where someone lives and personal agendas to out do or top the other club.

Terry Glass
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not big on politics, but I would like to see one club. LDGC works fine for me. If the majority would like to see the name changed, lets come up with some new names and vote on it. How about Louisville Metro Dics Golf or Kentuckiana Disc Golf Club.:D

One suggestion I have for being a better club member is for everyone to adopt the park that is closest to them and help keep it clean. When I see trash in our parks it makes me question who that person was who had such little regard for the natural beauty of our parks. Another part of park maintenance is to remove fallen debris. It is not that hard to do these things during the course of a practice round. ONCE AGAIN! PACK YOUR TRASH! We should NOT have to walk around and pick up other peoples trash, but yet, the Dude abides.

Russ
11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
About the 2 club thing.........Changing the name isnt going to solve the problems. First your going to have to get the 7 or 8 board members of the All stars to agree to this and I seriously doubt that it will ever happen considering there is a reason why we have 2 clubs. It didnt just happen overnight. This has been coming for a long time and it is because of the disagreements between the officers of the LDGC and it's past, and present members. There is a reason why the all stars dont have set offices to be held and instead a committee of board members. So regardless of what anyone number of people think, this is the way it will be for the foreseeable future. In my opinion this should have been discussed a long time ago before this all happened. However it wasnt and we are divided as a city. So here is a logical question to ask, what if the clubs could be joined but you had to go by the way the all stars do it? Would anyone of you tied to the LDGC do that? Because essentially this is what you would be asking of the all stars, am I correct?
Now as far as it goes I have seen more improvement and hard work in this city this year than in the past ten combined. So if it takes 2 clubs to get the ball rolling, than more power to the both of you!!!! If you spend all your time as a club focusing on the unity part you might as well keep waiting. It's just like the entire world is right now, divided. It's been this way for thousands of years and will continue to be until the very end. Yet both clubs are still bound by the simple fact that we love this sport. So leave it alone let progress happen and if it takes 2 clubs just be happy that things are happening!!!!!!!

jeremy
11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Those board members can speak for themselves. Unless you're a board member you probably shouldn't speak for them. There has been three of them to tell me a few weeks ago that they would like to see one big club eventually. If we merged there would be a LOT of change and I think everyone would be involved in the decision making and there would be compromise on both ends I'm sure.

Sweat
11-20-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm friends with all the All Stars and would help them out anytime I can. We have to many ego's to stroke in this sport and that's gotta go! And I hate when someone speaks for me!!!!!

discnbrew
11-20-2009, 12:59 AM
"Having a spokes persons to meet with city officials is NOT a bad idea. Sending ten people to meet with one or two people IS a bad idea. For one you would make the people you’re meeting with feel threatened and out-numbered. Secondly the space is not always available to have ten extra people standing/setting around. The spokes persons should keep detailed notes that they can relay back to the club/committee though to give everyone the opportunity to be involved. "

Absolutely agree Martin. The city wants a rep that speaks for the disc golf community. We have enough hoops to jump through apparently already we do not need to, as a group create more.

With that in mind. I think two clubs are fine, each kind of takes ownership of courses and that leads to volunteers and friendly competition on making courses better. What needs to happen is both clubs working together for common goals. Work and decisions involving the city can be delegated between the clubs with members of each meeting with the city officials. Communication with each of the clubs officers is important. Possibly a two division disc golf club. Hell lets get a southern IN club as well and have North, East and West end divisions of one club. All with equal input. Everybody will never get along with everyone else it is a fact. That said officers of the clubs should be able to rise above personal squables to focus on issues that can help us all.

I am up for helping raise funds for the discing community as a whole not just half of it.

jeremy
11-20-2009, 07:45 AM
I am up for helping raise funds for the discing community as a whole not just half of it.
That's the quote of the day. :bravo:

martin
11-20-2009, 09:13 AM
two clubs as one - i dont really see this happening just yet - i strongly believe that it will again happen

it is essential that the two clubs still work hand in hand throughout the year - avoiding conflicts for leagues, tournies, fundraisers - this cohesive behavior will one day probably bring the two factions together again

the majority of louisville golfers will play events for both clubs - it seems only a few folks are trying to build up an army of their own - perhaps we can all work together under some umbrella club - wow what a screwed up idea, we could then nominate and elect a third slate of officers to head the the two minor slates that run the club

it seems silly the concept that one must choose an affiliation with side a or side b, it seems silly that one might even choose them both - i wait for the moment when someone gets themselves on both boards/committees/leadership roles on both clubs at the same time

jeremy
11-20-2009, 09:52 AM
wow what a screwed up idea, we could then nominate and elect a third slate of officers to head the the two minor slates that run the club
Don't worry, there's not enough deicated, hard working golfers in our community to ever make that work. :-|

So...what's our next step? What do we do RIGHT NOW to start making our club a better club? Again, this is ALL great discussion but what action do we put toward it now? What can we do to get MORE people envolved in the sport? What can we do to raise more funds? What can we do to scout and install new courses and improve the ones we've got? Most importantly, who's going to head up doing these things?

J_VanOver
11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I think one issue that we have is that everyone wants to be a course designer but no one wants to go and talk to city officials to try to get more land. How many people said that they wanted input in redesigning IQ? Too many hands in the pot. I'm not for sure how many people were on the redesign team for IQ but I'm sure that it wasn't much more than a couple. Once a course is designed then have people give "constructive critisizm" in case something was missed

I think that would be a perfect example of a use for a committee. Here would be my committee options:

Fund Raising - 3 or 4 people that solicit help from others
Course Design - 2 or 3 that follow up after 1 or 2 have designed and those 2 or 3 can learn the craft and not just say what they think would be a good course.
Tournaments - 4 or 5 to plan tournaments for the year and get TDs, etc planned
City/State Communication - 2 or 3 that go to the gov't meetings and meet with officials.

GetEmWet
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I posted this awhile back w/no response. I can give more detail if need be:

What about trying to sale ad spots to put on the kiosk at CV? Ball golf courses are doing it for $228 for a year with four ad changes. Charlie Vettiners golf course will have one this coming year if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about. This could be a fundraising idea for our tournaments. I checked the one out at Crescent Hill golf course. They are pretty sweet. We can do a low budget knock off of theirs. Thoughts????

Like Martin told me before, when we talk to business's about sponsering CVO, maybe instead of them just sponsering one of our tournaments for $100 let them sponser all of them and divide the money evenly. This way they are getting more exposure and might be able to sale the sponsership easier. We can put them in 3 caddy books rather than 1. Martin you can explain this better if you would like.

Airborne
11-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I think one issue that we have is that everyone wants to be a course designer but no one wants to go and talk to city officials to try to get more land. How many people said that they wanted input in redesigning IQ? Too many hands in the pot. I'm not for sure how many people were on the redesign team for IQ but I'm sure that it wasn't much more than a couple. Once a course is designed then have people give "constructive critisizm" in case something was missed

I think that would be a perfect example of a use for a committee. Here would be my committee options:

Fund Raising - 3 or 4 people that solicit help from others
Course Design - 2 or 3 that follow up after 1 or 2 have designed and those 2 or 3 can learn the craft and not just say what they think would be a good course.
Tournaments - 4 or 5 to plan tournaments for the year and get TDs, etc planned
City/State Communication - 2 or 3 that go to the gov't meetings and meet with officials.
I like the quote that no one is willing to talk to city officials. I guess that wasn't me at all those meetings I have had with Mike Heitz, Jerry Brown, Mike Slaton et all. I must have been dreaming when I thought I was attending every meeting of the 21 Century Parks trying to get DG in their plans, how stupid of me. I was in a haze when I cornered Jerry Abrahmson and talked up DG at CV. As I've said before, it's not so much where to put a course, it's paying for it. ( That could be one reason for us to raise money Martin, not to mention Insurance, permits, buying discs, general club expenses etc.) All these committees sound real nice, but it takes members who are willing to work. Also, I have never seen a course designed by committee, believe it or not, it takes a lot of time to put a good course together, committees allow egos to get in the way of good design. I have brought the idea of a tournament committee a couple of times and just been inundated with volunteers to handle the job. To all of those who have worked hard this year, I salute you, you have set the example for the rest. We are able to have members adopt a hole at CV, I think I have had 3 people express a desire to take a hole, only 15 more to go. I feel that we have made a lot of progress this year, and we are in a good position to start next year in good shape and in good relations with the Park Dept. Now we just need more active members to step up and take up the slack.

jeremy
11-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Now we just need more active members to step up and take up the slack.
So what do we do to get more active members involved?

Airborne
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I have been thinking of a plan that might entice members to become more envolved. We could set up a points system where a member gets points for any club activity and try to build up points. The top points person would be named Disc Golfer of the Year or something and get an award like a new bag or something. It could be for example, 10 pts for holding club office, 10 points for passing the TD exam, 15 points for TD'ing a tournament, 5 points for attending a meeting, 2 points for each tourny you attend with bonus points for placing in the "money" etc.

nick murphy
11-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I have been thinking of a plan that might entice members to become more envolved. We could set up a points system where a member gets points for any club activity and try to build up points. The top points person would be named Disc Golfer of the Year or something and get an award like a new bag or something. It could be for example, 10 pts for holding club office, 10 points for passing the TD exam, 15 points for TD'ing a tournament, 5 points for attending a meeting, 2 points for each tourny you attend with bonus points for placing in the "money" etc.

I was going to post something like this as well but without the point system. But the idea is great. I know we're not able to make it out to everything the club does but we try our best.

discnbrew
11-21-2009, 01:18 PM
"So what do we do to get more active members involved? "

You are doing it right now. Communication, is key. Get the word out of what is needed when asap. If you know the club needs volunteers for an event two months from now put it out there now. Hang the info at the parks. The info I have gotten over the past year has all been almost exclusively word of mouth.

THis probably needs to be a new thread but while we are talking about it.
I have been thinking over a winter fundraiser. I have some warehouse space (corner of Clay and Main St) that is large enough for some putt and approach and my work is willing to donate some frosty adult beverage. I think we need food to make it a family friendly event. Possibly KY BBQ company on Franfort Ave unless someone on here has any better idea or an in with a food source that could give us a break on cost? What I will need is oh yeah that thing what is it, oh yeah a little help. DOH! Need a couple porta baskets, set up a date(Saturdays are wide open all day and night), agree upon a price (dependant on food cost). Possibly a couple contests with disc prizes? All experience, requests, help is welcome?

PDGA#26039
11-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a possibility. If we could get an approx. head count to gauge the interest level, that might help. I would be interested. Might want to start a new thread like you said

captain plastic
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Thread drift.
I plan on having another club
cook out at my crib in the spring.
I have a great little spot for some field
games and what not.

I agree with Joel. What is going on now
is the way to get people motivated.

It seems we have this conversation every
six months or so. To me the club is providing
a lot of fun for a lot of people. Just my opinion.
I am a happy club member.

J_VanOver
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Everyone knows that you and Dave go to those meetings Steve. You missed my meaning of people not willing to step up for what they really want. How many posts and conversations have there been about wanting a new course and when you ask for volunteers there is nothing.

You missed the point about the course design too. The 2 or 3 follow up after the course has been designed so to learn what the course designer did and why he did it. How is the next generation of course designers going to learn how to do it unless they go around with the main designer to learn? If Dave is our course designer, who is going to take his place once he finally says that he is done? The club almost felt the pain of missing out on what Jeremy does/did until a few people stepped up (including you). I'm not going to let that happen with the course design.

I'm glad I have associated what I am doing as a club member to Dave or I wouldn't stick around for either club. When all is said and done, you can thank him for what I am doing.

jeremy
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
So...where do we start? Lot's of ideas but what's something we can do right now (other than talk about things) to get things rolling? I want to see the LDGC looking like something serious this year.

G1nked
11-24-2009, 05:33 PM
"For this post I will be judged."
i judged you long before this post and my conclusion is your a dedicated hard working friendly advocate of the sport. There will always be haters but the time or energy wasted on negativity benefits no one. You have been nothing but cooler then the other side of the pillow. I pray that all the negativity wont discourage you in continuing,imo, to better the sport. I have no negative feelings towards anyone in the sport that I have come to love with a quickness and wish all the drama would seize and desist and continue on with making SOUTHERN INDIANA and Metro Louisville a great place for our sport. I won't requote the mini novel to bore the readers.

jeremy
11-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanx Shawn! 99% of the people in this sport are great people. Unfortunately we have to deal with that 1% too. I'm not finished yet. I have always only wanted to see the sport grow.

Airborne
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
So...where do we start? Lot's of ideas but what's something we can do right now (other than talk about things) to get things rolling? I want to see the LDGC looking like something serious this year.
The place to start is to attend the meeting. That is all I ever really asked. It is hard to get anything meaningful done when you have so many members not showing up to express their ideas and them gripping because "they aren't heard". The only problem I have is those that say they are going to do something and then not follow through. If a person only wants to play, fine. If you want the LDGC to grow, then help with the process. As to all the other BS, I don't pay much attention to it. There are always a few that will not agree with or like you, it's the two faced ones that try to cause trouble between the clubs that only harm themselves and the image of the sport. Hope to see you at the meeting.

jeremy
11-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Good point Steve. I don't attend a lot of meetings myself (due to being an hour away) and it does seem to be that those who gripe the most have been to the fewest meetings or none at all.

It would be neat to have meeting previews online. That way we would be prepared for what's going to be discussed at the meeting and be able to think about any input we would like to provide.