PDA

View Full Version : Katana

J_VanOver
10-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Innova has released a new speed 13 driver called the Katana. It is a special release disc that can currently only be purchased on 1 website and is being released as a promotion to the 2010 Japan Open. You can go to herodiscusa.com (http://www.herodiscusa.com/disc-golf-discs/japan-open-discs?model=269) to order it. When you purchase a Katana (except for the Champion Blem discs) you are entered into a drawing for a grand prize of a round trip ticket to the Japan Open. The cost of the tournament is $150 and the hotel is $100 a night. All food is included except for lunch on 2 days and the dinner when you arrive at the airport. So about $750 is what it will cost you to go plus buying some 150 plastic. If someone buys a disc and wins and doesn't want to go, I will be happy to take the plane ticket (we can work out a deal) ;) I went in 2008 and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Here is what they say about it:

KATANA- [kah-tah-nah]
Origin Japan 1392~ A curved single-edged sword traditionally used by Japanese Samurai. The samurai would give names to their swords as they believed their warrior spirit lived within the Katana.

Origin Rancho Cucamonga, USA 2009~ An INNOVA DISC GOLF TECHNICAL DISTANCE DRIVER with flight chart numbers: 13+, 5, -3, 3.

Calling all distance challenged throwers!

The Katana is built with the finesse thrower in mind. Recommended downwind driver. Hit the angle right and watch it bolt out of sight. The physical characteristics resemble a Boss with the flight characteristics of a Sidewinder on steroids. Master the technique of Katana and rule the course.

Each person that supports the Japan Open by purchasing a Katana from Hero Disc USA earns a chance to win our grand prize, one round trip airline ticket to the 2010 JAPAN OPEN. For more information, visit www.japanopen.info (http://www.japanopen.info/).

swasafix
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I am a distance challenged thrower. Are they worth the money?

PDGA#26039
10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I'd say they will be available at "regular" prices by next season.
Or you can shell out now for one and see if you like it.
I'm tempted to get on too.

J_VanOver
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I bought two (160-165g).

If you throw sidewinders than maybe it would be a good disc for you or if you have have trouble with overstable discs turning left right out of your hand. I have started throwing a 160 R-pro Boss for distance but I also throw a 167 DX valk almost as far and it has been around forever. You don't always have to have the newest.

The main reason I think to buy them now and not wait is for the chance to win the flight to the Japan tournament.

They released the Pig and the Monarch at the Japan Open in 2008 and they weren't released in the states to about a month afterward. Lots of perks at the tournament. The players pack itself was worth between $200 and $300. The bag that I got there has never been released. It's a combination backpack/rolling suitcase. Backpacks usually range in the $150 area by themselves and then I got a special addition camp time stool http://www.herodiscusa.com/japan-open-huk-sit.html# (http://www.herodiscusa.com/japan-open-huk-sit.html). I just can't say enough positive things about that tournament.

The other reason to buy now is for the people that have to have the latest thing. So maybe waiting to it comes out next year would be the best thing for you're not that type of person.

PDGA#26039
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
so are you going this year?

J_VanOver
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm 100% going if I win the ticket (of if someone gives me theirs :Please:)

I'm 50% otherwise. Just had a baby 16 days ago now so it depends on finances and how generous my wife is feeling about me going to the other side of the world without her.

We have talked about going to the Hawaii tournament in 2011. How was that vacation/tournament?

PDGA#26039
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
It's great. You can do it cheap if you have time to plan. Lava, Plastic, Aloha.