PDA

View Full Version : Lost Disc Averages and dealing with it?

G1nked
10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if some of the more experienced seasoned veterans here wouldnt mind saying how many discs they have lost and how they have dealt with losing say maybe the special one ? I have played about 4 months and lost three now and they seem to have been all ones I really liked or did what I wanted them to do. Thats kinda ironic because I would not have lost them if they did what i really wanted them to do huh?:bang:
Well Im curious to see what others here might say on this topic and the best way to deal with losing a killer disc? I have returned discs that I have found 2 now with contact info so I do have hope still that someone may call

illyB
10-12-2009, 09:10 PM
it definitely sucks. Just try to not get too attached to any disc and always have a few of each mold you like, slowly rotating them in. If it's a really old, beat disc (the worst to lose imo), I'll write reward on them to possibly entice the finder of calling.

JHenson
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Try to make that "special" disc a mold you can throw new. I also have a second disc (sometimes 3-4 or 10 of my putters) that I throw in casual rounds. A good way to practice shots and break in new discs is to take multiple shots per hole when practicing for tournaments. Enough practice and you'll get to the point where you'll be losing less discs. Also pick cheap discs (DX or factory runs, not rare or first runs) in the begining. If all else fails, my favorite thing to do is shop for new discs on E-bay.:-P

Adam
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I've lost innumerable discs, especially when I was a newer player. It sucks losing a disc, but it's also an opportunity for another disc you aren't using as much to step up and show its worth.

martin
10-13-2009, 11:25 AM
losing discs happens -

fact is you are far more likely to lose your favorite discs then your not so favorites - thats why they are your favorites you throw them - you lose them -

-i currently tend to lose discs that are extra in my bag, i simply don't throw ones i dont want to lose in situations where they easily can be lost - you also will throw more confidently when you have no fear of losing them

have back-ups of your favorites, good way to have beat in and new versions of the same mold anyhow

jeremy
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I’ve been pretty lucky. I haven’t lost many and MOST of the ones I have lost seem to somehow come back to me. Maybe because I have a reputation of rewarding people pretty well for returned discs. I do have two discs that come to mind on this topic though. Both of them were that beat just right disc that was absolutely irreplaceable. One I left laying in the middle of a fairway and someone picked up and then lied to me and said they didn’t and the other one just DISCappeared on a windy day in an open field.

I’ve learned NOT to throw discs that can’t be replaced. I have backups for EVERY disc in my bag (including my putter and my 2001 CE Roc). I, like Martin, rarely throw a disc that I would REALLY prefer NOT to lose off the tee in a risky situation. Sure, some have sentimental value due to aces or who gave them to me but I don’t really value that above my game.

captain plastic
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I have probably lost more discs than anyone
in disc golf. I lost over 40 at The Memorial alone.

I put my numbers around 200 lost disc. Maybe more.

All are replaceable.

My biggest regret on losing a disc was at the Memorial this
past year. I was having the round of my life. I was about
even par. Just hit two huge birds in a row. It was a par four
hole. I threw a great drive and had about 100 feet on my up shot.
The course was Fountain Hills and it was one of the "finger" lake holes.
I then threw my number one putter into the drink. I had to play the rest
of the round with a 160 gram putter and it was WINDY!

I also don't really look very hard for disc. Never have and probably never
will. I also won't look that hard for your DISC either. HAHA

On a side not I have had at least thirty disc destroyed by a lawn mower
in the field behind my house.

ruhrohraggy
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I have probably lost more discs than anyone
in disc golf. I lost over 40 at The Memorial alone.

I put my numbers around 200 lost disc. Maybe more.

That's quite a lot of plastic, cap'n.

Crunchatize me(?)

captain plastic
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Tis true. 200 pieces of nasty plastic.
I had a fire sale at CV not too long ago
and got rid of all my stuff I don't throw.

Giving them away cheap. I don't respect the
disc very much. Parking lot Bocce (sp?) with
a Condor anyone?

illyB
10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Tis true. 200 pieces of nasty plastic.
I had a fire sale at CV not too long ago
and got rid of all my stuff I don't throw.

Giving them away cheap. I don't respect the
disc very much. Parking lot Bocce (sp?) with
a Condor anyone?

and you call yourself CAPTAIN PLASTIC?
Blasphemy, I say

G1nked
10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Well Truth be known the first three discs I purchased was after the Buffalo Trace Open and it was Scott Reif that got them from Billy and I lost one of those just a couple weeks back at English and it really stung bad. I questioned myself about being able to play since my small fields of vision effects my finding discs more then most I would have to assume anyway. I guess it was more because where it came from and how I got it then losing the champion monarch itself. I thank you guys for the advice and honesty. Next firesale call me capt. plastic I could use the extra ammo!

illyB
10-13-2009, 11:17 PM
yeah, I remember selling you that Monarch. I have quite a few other discs you might want to check out too next time I see ya. (maybe even for next to nothin":wink:) I admire your dedication to the sport in spite of your limited sight. having a passion for something is a great thing!

Sweat
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
It won't be the first or last disc you will ever lose if you continue playing this sport. I have lost so many discs by forgetting to pick them up! I have lost first run CE plastic that now would be worth a pretty penny, but there's nothing you can do. Always have backup ready to be pulled out and it happens to the best of us.

martin
11-06-2009, 10:15 AM
lost discs - got four of them in a week

playing my final 9 i designed at CV, shooting from 17 - 18

I lost 1 new champ monarch and the next day lost my main 2x ace champ boss

then the other day at muldraugh

i parked hole 8 and lost my 2X ace champ monarch under the leaves and then on the next hole parked 9 and lost my 1x ace champ leopard

figure by the start of next year - i'll just have a whole new bag of drivers

G1nked
11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
ok you guys sure now how to make a guy feel better. I am getting a crash course of leaves for the first time as I spent about 45 minutes on top of 19 at buffalo trace looking just this past weekend but found it after 3400212 leg sweeps from side to side. I had to crawl back to the car but I didnt give up.

tamahawk0
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I, like Martin, rarely throw a disc that I would REALLY prefer NOT to lose off the tee in a risky situation.

Same here. I don't lose many discs either, but when faced with a situation where losing a disc is more probable, I certainly won't throw one that I really, really like.

On trouble holes with blind corners or something, it's good to have someone spot for you when playing in a group. Kind of a pain, but if it keeps from losing a disc...