PDA

View Full Version : Charlestown In. State Park

Airborne
09-30-2009, 06:37 PM
I have been working with Roger Slayton on his project, trying to convince the park officials of the value of Disc Golf. After a recent meeting, they have agreed to allow a temp. course and a tournament to show them some of the local interest in our sport. We would like to have an unsanctioned tournament on the 24th of Oct. We would lay out a temporary course in Charlestown State Park in Ind. We could keep the entry fee low and pay out 100% of the entry fees. The park has a $5 entry fee. We NEED a strong turn out to make an impression on the park officials. We need some feed back to see the level of interest and what kind of a tourny would you like to have. I really hope to make this happen and have a strong showing to increase the chance of a new course in the local area. What do you all think? :roll:

illyB
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I would imagine most of the locals will be participating in the Pumpkin Bowl hosted by the Allstars that day

mrjoshd
09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd heard about this one through the grapevine for a while, nice to see the work has paid off.

Is that date set in stone?

G1nked
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I got 8 friends that will be interested . We are all very interested and have talked about what a great location this state park would be for just this idea. I and my friends commend Airborne on his efforts and will support this in any way possible. Please let me know if we can help in any aspect.

jondaniels
10-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I would be interested in playing. What will the cost be?

Airborne
10-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I don't want to interfere with the Pumpkin Bowl. Is there a clear date that we could get this going? We really want to make an impression on the park officials in hopes to get a new course in a prime location. Let me know a date we can live with.

Russ
10-01-2009, 07:53 AM
There are tournaments on the 17th, 24th , Nov. 1st so anytime after that would work for me! I would come and support it as long as it isn't on any of those weekends. Also there is a work day at IQ on the 10th of Oct. so that is no good either. Lookslike the next 4 or 5 weekends are tied up. And Jeremy's tournament is the second or third week of Nov. Gonna be hard to squeeze this one in.

jeremy
10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm doing the Gold Vault Open on November 14th. November 7th is open.

J_VanOver
10-01-2009, 01:25 PM
What about a Sunday date so that there is a tournament weekend for possible travelers or just people that can't make a Saturday?

Adam
10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I second Saturday, November 7th. That seems like the only weekend that isn't tied up at this point. The Pumpkin Shootout at Evansville is that weekend but it's on Sunday the 8th and far enough away that it shouldn't be an issue.

martin
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
if not saturday the 7th - would consider a sunday tourney - lots of people do have that day free sometimes over a saturday-

good sundays would be 10/18, 10/25, 11/15, 11/22, 11/29

Bag Tag Tourney is 11/1 and Mesker Park is 11/8

nobody mentioned it but even halloween might not be too bad?

G1nked
10-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Once again if there is anything I can do like make calls to the park department or anything computer related I may be able to help allthough i have seen plenty of talent on computers in this club so far. I am just going to promote it to all my Indiana friends so the turnout is good as possible. The 18th sounds good to me maybe still great weather then but im up for any date and will pass the word once details are set. Thanks to whomever is spearheading this project> i have heard a lot from people that this park is ideal for disc golf because the campgrounds dont have much activities to do and that would definetly draw in business.

Adam
10-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Any word on this? Is the date set for October 24 or will it changing because of the tournament already scheduled at Iroquois that day?

martin
10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
i believe it is gonna be set for nov 7th

Terry Glass
10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Any word on this?

nick murphy
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Charlestown State Park Temporary Course Tournament
Saturday, November, 21st, 2009

2 Rounds of 18

8:30 Players Meeting
Tee off at 9:00 AM
45 Minutes between rounds for lunch

All Pro's 20$
All AM's 10$

For directions click here (http://nicholasmurphy.com/discgolf/directions.html)

jondaniels
10-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Is this going to be a pdga event?

Sweat
10-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Once again if there is anything I can do like make calls to the park department or anything computer related I may be able to help allthough i have seen plenty of talent on computers in this club so far. I am just going to promote it to all my Indiana friends so the turnout is good as possible. The 18th sounds good to me maybe still great weather then but im up for any date and will pass the word once details are set. Thanks to whomever is spearheading this project> i have heard a lot from people that this park is ideal for disc golf because the campgrounds dont have much activities to do and that would definetly draw in business. When I first got n 2 disc golf I was as HUNGRY as U R and I just want 2 say I appreciate your WILL 2 get INVOLVED! T H A N K S

nick murphy
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Is this going to be a pdga event?

No it is not a PDGA Event. I'll have directions and photos up today.

G1nked
10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
When I first got n 2 disc golf I was as HUNGRY as U R and I just want 2 say I appreciate your WILL 2 get INVOLVED! T H A N K S
As long as I keep meeting cool as hell people like yourself which we barely chatted at Fun Farm NACVO when u gave me a ride out to the road, and Scott R , Terry Glass, Eric Rose, Nate, Mickey, Martin, Adam, Josh D, Hamilton Eric and Keith G. Billy hell everyone Ive come in contact with is more then friendly. I will continue to stay hungry and hope to improve the more I play with better players to show me tricks of the trade. I really just want to make this sport enjoyable for myself and to introduce people to the sport as well. I love it as I know most of you guys do and I hope to play with all you guys this next coming season if not sooner.

EddieBTrue
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Please note that Saturday November 21st is the set date for the Charlestown State Park temporary basket tournament. The entry fee is $20 for pro's & $10 for am's. We will be on site at 7:30 am the day of the tournament for any available spots not taken during pre-registration. The player's meeting will be at 8:30 with tee off at 9:00. There will be a 45 minute 'lunch' break between rounds after the last group has completed their last hole. There is a Subway, Mickey D's, KFC, Taco Bell, & an all-u-can-eat Chinese buffet only a couple of miles from the park. The baskets will be set up the day of the tournament; so the only advance practice will have to be the morning thereof. This is a good thing in that it will basically put all players on equal footing. TFPL! (Throw First, Putt Last). Roger/Eddie B True

discnbrew
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Bump

EddieBTrue
11-20-2009, 05:56 AM
:weee:
Hello everybody!
We're now just one day away from the first ever rounds of disc golf at the Charlestown State Park! Thanks to everybody who has already RSVP'd; and for those who have volunteered their efforts! Special thanks to Eddie Whelan for providing the lion's share of the baskets!

I went by the park Wednesday afternoon; and it looks absolutely perfect for our tournament. All of the scorecards, next tee, and hole description signs were printed last night; and I will be out at the course site EARLY Saturday morning.

The parks activities director, Andrea Logsdon, will be on hand; so be sure to speak with her, if able, about your desire to have a permanent course[s] in the park. Keep in mind that where we are playing this w/e is NOT the BEST venue in the park for a DG course; however, as you are about to find out, it would still make for an excellent permanent course even without added holes through the nearby woods.

If you have time, and desire to see the area the park has proffered as where they'd like to see a permanent course, then just continue on past the Oak Shelter area where the temporary course will be another couple of miles on down to the Ohio river then turn right and go to the end of the road. After the little bridge the areas to the left and right sides of the road are where we could put a course if all works out. At this site EVERY hole would have a view of the Ohio river and Kentucky on the other side. Spectacular!

Thanks again to everybody for your support in this matter. TFPL! (Throw First, Putt Last). Sincerely, Roger/EddieBTrue