PDA

View Full Version : What entices you to play a Tournament?

Hyzer'n_Howie
09-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I am curious to find out what makes disc golfers decide which tournaments they will play in. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Russ
09-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Several things....
1) Do I have the money?
2) Where is the tournament?
3) what other tournaments are the same weekend that may be in the area?
4) How well do they pay out? Is the TD or some disc golf shop trying to profit off of this or are they promoting disc golf and not profiting?
5) Who is the TD?
6) Is it 1 day or 2 days ( it costs entirely too much to play more than a few 2 days per year, when I have to have a hotel)
7) What tier is the tournament?
8) How long have I known about the date for the tournament? Throwing a tournament together and only allowing a few weeks for notification is generally a bad idea. I honestly wish that the PDGA would require that twice a year(Jan1, and Jun.1) all tournaments for that 6 month period be turned in for sanctioning!

Those are all in no certain order!!!!
Hope that helps!

PDGA#26039
09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
1 strength of competition ( which is usually only strong from big $)

2 the course(s) that are being used

Adam
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I try to play in all the tournaments within an hour of me. I don't mind traveling further to play, but don't do it too often. If there are multiple tournaments on a weekend, it usually comes down to the courses being played and the distance to those courses. A large advanced field helps entice me to travel.