PDA

View Full Version : Work day at Buffalo Trace

Adam
06-10-2009, 11:12 AM
This Sunday, June 14 at 10am at Buffalo Trace

The Buffalo Trace Advisory Board approved the money for concrete pads Monday 6/8, the materials are being purchased this week and our first work day will be Sunday. Things are moving fast in Southern Indiana to say the least 8-)

The park has access to a Bobcat or something like that to level the ground and a cement mixer that can be hitched to a truck and driven around the course. This will make installing the pads a lot easier than doing it by hand, but we still need your help! Our goal for this work day is to complete 6 tee pads and hopefully play a round afterward if we aren't too tired.

If you want to help disc golf but aren't sure what to do, this is your opportunity. Please do what you can to make it to Buffalo Trace this Sunday and help out. See you there.

captain plastic
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Great job Adam. The southern Indiana crew has been doing great things.

Adam
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I wish I could take credit, but this is all because of the relationship Terry's built with the park. I'm sure the upcoming tournament helped get things moving also.

Good things have been happening over here, but we certainly can't do it by ourselves. So please make an effort to come help, even if can't make it until later in the day or can only stay for an hour or two. Every little bit helps. Thanks!

localpro
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
The key to nice pads are not only the size, but most importantly the texture. After the concrete has begun to set up you must go back and brush them side to side with a stiff broom & you get the ultimate in disc golf traction. Good examples are the fun farm, & lebonan. Slik pads are the worst!

Adam
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm really hoping someone with experience pouring pads will be able to make it so we can see how to do everything properly.

Things are moving along. The sand and gravel that we'll use to mix the concrete has been delivered and is sitting on 18's fairway right now.

Terry Glass
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I completely agree with the importance of the texture. I have read the DGA and Innova guidelines about proper tee installation. Our goal is to provide a 4’ x 8’ tee with a textured surface. Trust me, the last thing we want to do is F this up. Another thing we are going to do is shoot for level side to side and a one inch drop front to back with the front edge being the high point.

illyB
06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I completely agree with the importance of the texture. I have read the DGA and Innova guidelines about proper tee installation. Our goal is to provide a 4’ x 8’ tee with a textured surface. Trust me, the last thing we want to do is F this up. Another thing we are going to do is shoot for level side to side and a one inch drop front to back with the front edge being the high point.

Why the one inch drop? It seems an uphill tee pad is a recipe for throwing it into the ground or early release? Maybe it's just me but the more level the better.

Adam
06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I believe the one inch drop is to keep water from pooling on the pad. I don't think a one inch elevation change over 8 feet will be noticeable, but I could be wrong.

J_VanOver
06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
It wouldn't be noticable. That is a rise of .0104 inches per foot from back to front. :shock:

Pooring concrete to that exactness is a different story. :bang:

The teepads at IQ change an inch in a 3rd of the pad and then change back again in some cases. #2 for instance is really bad but I don't think it makes you throw into the ground or throw sky shots.

illyB
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Gotcha.

localpro
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
You definately want a pitch to them, that allows them to drain water, You don't want puddles left on the tee's after a storm. Example, hole #2 at vettiner. One inch will not even be noticable at all. Just put the pitch on when you do the framing & every thing will be all good. What time is the work scheduled for Sunday?

Adam
06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
We're going to get started at 10am, pour 6 tee pads and hopefully play a round afterwards. I know that sounds like a lot, but towing the cement mixer around the course by a tractor will make things much quicker and easier.

eric_g
06-12-2009, 02:17 AM
It wouldn't be noticable. That is a rise of .0104 inches per foot from back to front. :shock:

Are you sure about that math Jason? For that to raise only that much per foot, the tee would have to be over 96 ft long :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :nono: :doh: :wink:

J_VanOver
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
My bad Eric. You are right. It is .125" per foot. I divided by 12 again to get it into inches when I didn't need to. Thanks for the correction.

Terry Glass
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Proper Tee Design and Construction
Tees should always be as level as possible, not sloping more than 1/2 inch per linear foot, or no more than 6” from front to back of a 12 foot tee. Tees should also be level from side to side, and should not slope off sharply in front of the pad. Ideally, the pad is on flat level ground with 3 feet of flat level space in front and to the sides, and 6 feet to the rear for those who like to approach the pad with some momentum. Edges of the pad should not drop off sharply, especially on long open holes which may require a follow through. One of the most common injuries results from falling or tripping while on the tee. Proper design will dramatically reduce the potential for injury.

These instructions are directly from the Innova web site. Notice they allow up to ½ inch drop per foot. That seems a bit much to me and you would probably notice the slope during your drive. The slope is to prevent standing water and I don’t believe a slight grade will be noticeable.

The benefits outweigh the cons.

J_VanOver
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I can speak to the sharp drop off. There was a guy that broke his ankle Wednesday at leagues. His buddies and mom carried him off the course. Hole 9.

Adam
06-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Work day is tomorrow morning at 10, hope to see you there!

Adam
06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
We had a good turnout at the work day Sunday. A big thanks to Terry Glass, Ed Murphy, Nick Murphy, Larry Cave and Martin Young for helping and an extra big thanks to Don Lomax and James McCormick for operating the tractors.

Yeah, tractors baby! A HUGH thanks to Buffalo Trace for letting us use two tractors. One had a tiller on the back so we didn't have to dig out the pads by hand, we just had to move the loose dirt afterwards. The other one had front loader so we could scoop and move the gravel. Those made the work quick and easy so we had plenty of time and enegry left to play a round afterwards.

There's still work to do out there and the next work day will be the weekend after the Brandenburg tournament. More details to come soon.