PDA

View Full Version : need help with road trip

georgetownian
04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
alright guys a friend of mine just bought a Honda insight in Houston TX and beings I'm laid off from the railroad rite now I'm flying down with him for a little road trip home. we are going to hit the beach for a day maybe corpus Christie or closer to new Orleans? we will be on 55 across through Texas, Louisiana, up through Mississippi, through Memphis, across through Nashville and home. he is not a avid disc golfer but enjoys it and is down for basically whatever. so if any one has any courses on the same route i would love to hear them. we leave on Tuesday the 28th and don't have to be home until the night of the third if we want. lets hear the suggestions any and all would be appreciated.
thanks-Andy

also we will be doing this on the cheap and either sleeping in the car or camping so any courses with good camping on sight would be sweet.

Hamilton
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Check out dgcoursereview.com
Should be able to find all the sweet courses on your route

Adam
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Andy, check out the course directory on dgcoursereview.com. You can find out just about everything you want to know about a course here including other player's reviews of the course, course maps, photos, and if there's camping near by. This is easily my favorite site for finding and learning out about courses, check it out.

porkchop
04-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Tom Bass park in Houston is fun and it has two courses that were used in i believe the 02 worlds. Long but mostly flat with water in play on the Powell course if my memory is correct. If you stop in Nashville cedar hills, Seven oaks are good there is also Sanders ferry and two rivers but i believe changes were made since i played them and don't know how good they are . They were all used in the 01 AM worlds and are all not that far apart

georgetownian
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
already been on there looking but there are hundreds to choose from and i have some picked already but looking for personal recommendations. really interested in scenic courses. i would love to hear any personal recommendations for Houston, new Orleans, Jackson Mississippi, Memphis tn, Nashville or anywhere in between. got plenty picked out but im just looking for someone to say" hey that course was awesome" or definetly check out _______ if your in houston.

georgetownian
04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
tom bass was already on my list so i'm glad to hear it. dumb question but are there any cool courses on the coast with ocean in view or anything of that sort? thanks and any input very appreciated

weeman
04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I lived down in Biloxi for a good portion of 2007 and tried to hit up as many regional courses that I could while there. If you're passing through New Orleans, on the west side in Metairie, LA at Lafreniere Park is a nice 22 hole course around a lake although most of the course is fairly flat. There use to be another course there but it was washed away by Katrina as well as another course just in Mississippi that you could see the gulf from. Also, I highly recommend playing the Reservoir course on the east side of Jackson, MS. Its a championship caliber course with multiple sleeves on each hole among huge pine trees. I can't say anything about the Memphis courses having not played them, but Nashville has some gems. Near the airport there is Seven Oaks, a mostly wooded mid-length course that's a lot of fun. On the north side of town is Cedar Hill, which is one of my favorites and over in Hendersonville is Sanders Ferry which borders on Old Hickory Lake. Both are very picturesque with multiple pin placements and a bit of length. If you decide not to go up through Mississippi and rather over to I-65 in Mobile, Alabama, there's 5 or 6 good courses that you could spend all day on. Let me know if you want any more info.

georgetownian
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
thats what im looking for...... thanks for the info. do you happen to know the name or town of the one you can see the gulf? also i am now considering leaving new orleans and heading up 65 through bama.

jeremy
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Page Four of this map MIGHT help you:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 63&t=h&z=5 (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105226210124576609340.00044c311f0a2cfa55d63&t=h&z=5)

I'm not sure if it's the right area or not.

weeman
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm thinking that the town's name is Waveland. The last and only time I was there was in Jan/Feb 2007 and there was literally nothing there. The course was in Buccaneer Park which sits across the street from the beach and the gulf. I estimated there was only about 20% of the buildings left there within about half a mile of the coast and that's probably being generous. Of course that was then, but I really doubt they've got it up and running again. There's far bigger problems down there. Its a real nice drive down the coast of Mississippi on Highway 90, that's where I worked, on the bridge in Biloxi. If you're going to be taking the Alabama route, Mobile has a few good ones. The course on Univ. of South Alabama is really nice and well manicured, it flows through one end of campus and around some lakes with a good mix of short and long. A few miles from that is Community Park which is wide open with some good length and multiple sleeves. Near there is Springhill Hobbit which is a tough one. There's no tees, just natural ones marked by rocks so its sort of a pain to navigate it the first time. I think the designer lives across the street from #18. You can get to all three of those off the same exit on I-65. The other real nice one is called Cottage Hill. Its not overly long just multiple teepads. You walk into the woods on hole one and come out after hole 18. Its pretty cool. North of Mobile I am not sure about, there's a few courses in Birmingham from what I've heard and you can see one from I-65 near Athens, AL. I've never played there but it looks to be wide open from what's been seen. Cheers.

Adam
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Cedar Hill is a must play if you stop in Nashville.

jamesmcc
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Weeman is not the only one I lived in Gautier Ms most of my life and all the courses he mentioned are excellent courses. There are a couple more courses in Mobile to be mentioned one of my fav is chicosbouge and chickasaw. There are so many more courses in that area I have played them all. There is also a pay course in Gautier at shepards park. :bravo: :Please: 8-)

martin
06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
got the chance to play some nashville golf the other day -

played cedar hill their new champion style course - 3-5 pin placements per hole, identified by a little marker under the sign - and all the pin positions were well defined further down the fairway woth mulch and surrounding logs

the course was sweet - i figured it to be about a par 60 (in the lengthy layout) with a number of 400 - 600 foot shots, thick tunneled rough, twisting fairways and lots of up and down

also got to play seven oaks - seemed to be the nashville equivalent to our iroquois (just with more trees - but signs of heavy use and lots of erosion, many of the fairways had been converted to gravel)

both were great courses and would be a great day trip - seven oaks i found out later had 9 more holes recently added, with dirt tee pads, never even saw them while i was there