PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Valley Disc Golf Challenge

Airborne
01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I had an idea that I thought I would throw out an see if there is any feed back. It was a plan I had of a type of Ryder Cup challenge tournament that we might get started between the various clubs in the area, such as Evensville, Owensboro, Louisville, Lexington and the like. We could rotate the sites of the events from year to year and each club get together a ten man team and have a $200 entry fee per team and have a challenge tourny for the Ohio Valley Cup on a yearly basis. I think it could be a lot of fun and foster good fellowship between the clubs. What do you all think? I hope to hear from the various clubs in the region too. We could get a trophy made up and rotate it from winner to winner and engrave the name from year to year. Just a thought.

noLowPuttsDave
01-25-2009, 01:59 AM
this is a great idea, but would there be a spot for each division...like open, gmasters, adv. masters, int., rec and so on? back in TN they did something similar to this, it was 6 man team, 2 open, 2 adv. and 2 int./rec. Tim Barr set it up to where you take the combined score of each, then add the 3 together and that was the round score. it was quite interesting, we had teams from knoxville, richmond, asheville, chat. and nashville, it was a blast.

Kao
01-25-2009, 09:52 AM
This sounds like a neat idea Steve!

discnbrew
01-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I like it. The local homebrew clubs do the same... The annual Iron Mash Challenge. Usually between Louisville and Lexington.

themick
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
IVE DISSCUSED THIS WITH LYLE AND I THINK LEX. IS SCARED :lol: :lol:

scottyb
01-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Southern Indiana is down. Feel free to PM me on here and I can shoot you my digits,

martin
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM
the team golf idea sounds great - i know kyle lynch from asheville spoke alot about this same idea - i believe there is a team down there

Russ
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
How quickly we forget things :bravo: Great Idea Steve :bravo: :bravo:
I posted this idea months ago and no one seemed intrested. Guess it has to come from an officer before it's a good idea :?: Sure hope no one tries to say they came up with a Match Play tournament :nono:
Also,I too have spoken with Lyle and he is none to thrilled with the idea. There aren't enough quality players in that area to compete against us.

jeremy
01-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I posted this idea months ago and no one seemed intrested. Guess it has to come from an officer before it's a good idea :?:
Where?

Russ
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Don't know I tried to find it this morning. May have just brought it up at a meeting but I'm pretty sure I posted something about it. Anyhow thanks again for calling me out!!!! :fiddle:

jeremy
01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I was just asking. No big deal.

bigjb
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
well the real problem is the lack of pros in the lexington area.. but i do have an answer to that but i'll keep that under my hat.. when is this tourney gonna happen?

OneTime
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
The Birth of an Idea
By Ben Verkamp

Once upon a time southern Indiana there was a kid named...well... Ben Verkamp.
This kid loved life to the fullest. He was a very blessed kid with many ideas. One time Ben played a sport called disc golf, but he played with a frisbee!!! that is until a man named Dave Greenwell showed up. Dave is a man of great knowledge and he has a knack for helping and teaching to those who listened. Fast forward 13 yrs. Ben found himself living in a town without a disc golf club___Evansville. Then came the first born AceEagle Disc Golf Club. Named after the golf terms..Ace/Eagle and the local schools...University of Evansville Aces...and University of Southern Indiana Screamin' Eagles...a double entundrem...Neat Huh! after the birth of that club, Ben found himself relying on other clubs for membership, support and advice. Then came another Idea. Ben thought "How can we(the disc golf community) make it easy for fledgling disc golf clubs to grow? hmmmm, How about the Ohio River Disc Golf Association! where clubs could stand hand in hand as a group. They could support each other, they could have a points series, the could help each other prosper, they can pass on advice to each other....WOW what an Idea! Fast Forward 3 yrs....Today I am sitting at home because it is slick as snot outside....I read this post....I am greatful for this Idea. Steve has mentioned this to me several months ago.
It will happen.

Ohio River Valley DGA members:

Ace Eagle DGC
Daviess County DGC

some more possibles:

LDGC
GCFDA
Paducah
and more.

I also think the HomeBase for the Ohio River Valley DGA should be at Old English.
Also the domain OhioRiverValleyDGA.com has been bought, but not built.

Questions, Comments, Additions?

Love to hear them!

BV

Patience is a virtue

Mildred Verkamp

OneTime
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
a slogan I have thought about for years...let me know what you think....

From Pittsburgh to Paducah,
The Ohio River Valley Disc Golf Association!

If we can form this right, we WILL have an unbelievable series of events.

jeremy
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
The Watts Family Disc Golf Club is in.

Kao
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
The Birth of an Idea
By Ben Verkamp

Once upon a time southern Indiana there was a kid named...well... Ben Verkamp.
This kid loved life to the fullest. He was a very blessed kid with many ideas. One time Ben played a sport called disc golf, but he played with a frisbee!!! that is until a man named Dave Greenwell showed up. Dave is a man of great knowledge and he has a knack for helping and teaching to those who listened. Fast forward 13 yrs. Ben found himself living in a town without a disc golf club___Evansville. Then came the first born AceEagle Disc Golf Club. Named after the golf terms..Ace/Eagle and the local schools...University of Evansville Aces...and University of Southern Indiana Screamin' Eagles...a double entundrem...Neat Huh! after the birth of that club, Ben found himself relying on other clubs for membership, support and advice. Then came another Idea. Ben thought "How can we(the disc golf community) make it easy for fledgling disc golf clubs to grow? hmmmm, How about the Ohio River Disc Golf Association! where clubs could stand hand in hand as a group. They could support each other, they could have a points series, the could help each other prosper, they can pass on advice to each other....WOW what an Idea! Fast Forward 3 yrs....Today I am sitting at home because it is slick as snot outside....I read this post....I am greatful for this Idea. Steve has mentioned this to me several months ago.
It will happen.

Ohio River Valley DGA members:

Ace Eagle DGC
Daviess County DGC

some more possibles:

LDGC
GCFDA
Paducah
and more.

I also think the HomeBase for the Ohio River Valley DGA should be at Old English.
Also the domain OhioRiverValleyDGA.com has been bought, but not built.

Questions, Comments, Additions?

Love to hear them!

BV

Patience is a virtue

Mildred Verkamp

This would be interesting!

J_VanOver
01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I've been reading about state team championships. I think there is something about texas on the pdga website right now. Sounds pretty similar. Fun.