PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Vettiner speed golf - for your health...

PDGA#26039
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok, so one of my resolutions this year was to get into better shape, mostly cardio. But running is so boring and treadmills/elliptical machines are monotonous. So I thought I’d try some speed disc golf. I discovered a way to make it fun by taking your score + minutes to produce a final number score. I'm sure there are many different ways to do this.

Your goal is to score as well as possible, as fast as possible. (no gimmie puts, it’s easy to miss short ones when you’re exhausted so you have to finish all holes) So if it took you 31 minutes to play 18 holes at CV, and you shot a 54, your score would = 85

I tried this today for the first time at CV. I am not in extremely good shape and the conditions were tough, 27 degrees and breezy.

Results… I shot a 57 and took 34 minutes to do it. Total score =91

I felt like this was pretty good, but really ran out of gas after about 4 holes, I ended up speed walking about half of the round. I feel like someone in better cardio shape could easily get through the course in under 30 minutes.

The trick is to not spend time “looking” for bad shots. I spent a minute or two looking at the bottom of hole 14.

I was hoping some of you would try this too. It was a great way to exercise, while doing something you like.

So who can beat a 91?

Have fun!!! Be healthy!!!

Scott

Adam
01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Great idea Scott. My cardio could use a little work too and CV has some massive hills waiting for you in the back when you're starting to wear down already. I'll give it a try next time I'm out there.

GetEmWet
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I see guys doing this at IQ. Not nearly as difficult as CV though. Do you play with your bag or one disc?

PDGA#26039
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I used my bag, BUT, took out more than half of my discs. I'm telling you, someone can crush my time.
I think someone could do it in as little as 25 minutes. The score on the other hand...

J_VanOver
01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I've done this for 9 holes at IQ in the summer. My cardio wasn't so great and I ran into some people. Fun time. I would like to try it some time as well. Maybe with just 2 discs - one in each hand.

If you could just play with 2 or 3 discs what would they be? I would use a Boss or Wraith, Buzz and a Wizard if I used 3.

PDGA#26039
01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
wraith, roc, and a putter.

but, the bag doesn't really slow you down, because you don't end up running as fast as you think.

martin
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
i will run fast -

good stuff scott - good score/time to beat - the 57 helps alot

Kao
01-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I ran into two guys at IQ that speed golf between their classes. I was throwing with a friend and we let them play through. I think they got more than one round in. I think the whole speed thing would throw my game off so I have yet to try it although my cardio needs work.

weeman
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
i like that idea for the cardio work out but not in terms of practicing throws. i like to take everything slow except for my arm when throwing. in trying to do this quickly, it'd mess with the mechanics of the throwing motion especially if you're exhausted from running/jogging/power walking between throws.

it'd be easier to start at iroquois and do a few rounds before tackling vettiner. there's only one hill you go up and down twice as opposed to vettiner which is constant rolling terrain.

maybe this would be a good thing to try in the polar bear leagues since nate likes to change it up every week or so.

Adam
01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I played speed golf at Cavan park in Georgetown yesterday. I shot a 50 and it took me 31 minutes for a total of 81.

I think that score can be easily beaten for a number of reasons. I spent a couple minutes digging a disc out from under a mound of thorns on hole 12, it took me probably 4 minutes to find my disc on 17 and the course was a little muddy so there were places where I was jogging at best. Oh, and lets not forget I'm pretty out of shape.

So who can beat an 81 at Georgetown?

martin
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
80 at Georgetown - 25 minutes + 55 shots

J_VanOver
01-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Played speed golf for 6 holes today before succumbing to extreme fatigue and luckily a phone call. Typical bogey golf in 9 minutes so I guess it doesn't matter what speed I play I will score the same on each hole. :bang:

I am terribly out of shape so I will be working on cardio instead of weight training at the gym for a while.

I did find out things that were helpful. Played with three discs, left discs laying when I knew I was coming back that way like on hole 3 to 4 and no matter what your next shot is don't pick up the disc that is on the ground to throw - make a shot with one in your hand. This would probably be better advice if I didn't bogey each hole huh?

PDGA#26039
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
more CV speed round results...

Scott: another 91 (shot a 58 in 33 minutes)
Billy: 92 (60 in 32 minutes)

Martin I know you can crush out times

illyB
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
The speed round was pretty fun! If I would have taken a couple extra seconds on putting I could have shot at least 4 strokes better. Was within 10 feet on 13 and 15. And got careless on 18 for a 6 :x . Could have shot a 56 with a lttle more of a breather for putting. Doing this is bad for your form though and the possiblity to bust your a$$ is very likely. I think I'll stick to mountain biking for the cardio and disc golf for the focus / form factor.

PDGA#26039
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I can see how it could be seen as bad for your form or hazardous. But for me, I don't feel like its bad for my form. I feel like it makes me slow down on the shot and think MORE about form, because I know I'm tired and can't afford a bad shot.

Adam
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree Scott, I feel like I focus more on form when I'm speed golfing also. I think about that and breathing.

I think putting when you're out of breath is the most difficult, but somehow my putting has been ok so far. Maybe that's because I focus more on form and breathing, and the putt takes care of itself. It's hard to describe, but does anyone else know what I'm talking about?