PDA

View Full Version : Ben Calhoun rips CV.........

Russ
11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
So I was checking out this stuff about Ben and Greg playing there 1000th course today at the IDGC. While reading about this I came across Ben's trip page on Google maps. Every course he visited he wrote a little blog about the course.
This is what he had to say about CV.........."
Mix of open with trees and thick woods, mostly tunnel shots bordered by nasty rough. Relatively hilly, very muddy and slick and the tees get muddy from your shoes. Several championship holes, but mostly basic or lacking in design. Several holes are sort of crazy also. Good tees and signs. If you want a challenge and don't mind thick rough, tons of poison ivy, bugs and mud this course could be for you."

I guess that he either doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground, or playing Idlewild the day before screwed with his mind :doh:

So while I'm at it here is what he said about OCP and IQ............

OCP "This course seems very old, the tees and baskets look 20+ years old. Most signs long ago rusted out, broken or missing but it's so tightly packed it's easy to figure out. Very easy, no par 4 and no really tough shots. Basic design testing all shots, tunnels, hyzers, sidearm, up and down hills. Not much of a chance of losing a disc. Good terrain of half leafy forest and grass and half plantation like pine tree rows. Worth checking out."

IQ "
Apparently, I played this course in 2006 and forgot to record it, so I skipped it to rest today. I remember it being fairly short and flat, with some holes up in the woods and most near a creek in a flat plain on both sides of some woods. Has plenty or trees and variety and gets pretty nasty off the fairway sometimes. It is well-used but not as well maintained"

and just for the heck of it, Idlewild "This continues to be my favorite course, it could be the best course in existence. It has everything-lush grass, hills, creeks, manicured greens, pond, cement tees, signs, well maintained. It's tough- from the longest layout you really are trying to get a 4 on every hole, and thankful when you do. I shot about +11/12 to longs. It starts with a 640' hole playing slightly downhill, with thick woods on left and open woods on right (was thick in 2006 but they've done an amazing job of cleaning them up and it totally changes the hole). Both sides off the fairway slope away, so hard to land on and stay put if not right on top. Several large trees dot the middle, with 3 in particular arranged nearer to the basket to craft an upshot. The next few holes blow that hole away. There's even a 1,001 foot hole with the basket tucked into woods downhill at the end, on a green almost circles by a manicure creek bed. Not much chance to get in deep rough or lose a disc for such a tough long course. Very little ivy, thorns. Just a masterpiece, should be on everyone's list. It took 2 hours to play playing fast by myself. A few changes since 2006-#8 is longer, by about 90', and I think it should have been left shorter to reward a drive with a deuce, one basket moved slightly on the back 9 as well. Check out pics of this course. It will affect my reviews for awhile because nothing compares."

Hamilton
11-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I guess ...playing Idlewild the day before screwed with his mind :doh:

I would say so, considering this statement:

It will affect my reviews for awhile because nothing compares.

weeman
11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
He should have played CV before he played Idlewild. I think he'd have more of an appreciation for it. I agree that playing most everything after playing Idlewild would mess with your senses.

martin
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
probably would have helped if he could have timed his visit during either drier or more frozen conditions