PDA

View Full Version : Troy and Maria Benham

jeremy
10-15-2008, 05:26 PM
For those of you who know local disc golfer, Troy Benham, I thought I would share this. Troy is married to my wife’s Aunt (Maria). Maria was in a motorcycle accident Sunday afternoon. She was going around a sharp curve on our road when a truck pulling a trailer swerved into her lane. The trailer that was in tow struck Maria and her motorcycle and the impact nearly severed Maria’s leg. Being the tough cookie she is she was able to maintain full control of her bike and bring it to a stop before she laid it down on the side of the road. So the outcome of this accident is no where near as bad as it would have been if she would have lost control of her bike and wrecked.

The unfortunate news is that Maria lost a lot of blood and the trauma was so sever to her leg that they had to amputate it from about four to six inches above the knee. As bleak as all of this sounds we’ve chosen to remain grateful that this is the only major injury she sustained. This report could be much more grim then it is. We are encouraging the family to NOT morn the loss of her leg but to celebrate the fact that she is alive and we are blessed to be able to spend the days to come with her.

This was a hit and run so they will be taking care of the bill on their own. Saturday, at the Fall Open, I will be taking donations to give to Troy and Maria. I don’t expect much but any little bit will be appreciated.

If you guys could pray for peace and comfort for Maria and our family it would be GREATLY appreciated!

illyB
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow, I am sorry to hear this! Your family is in my prayers..

Sweat
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Troy Bennam is one of the nicest guys I have ever met and I am so sorry for this tragic time in there lifes. :cry: Hang in there Bennam family u are in all our prayers and he will provide.

Russ
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
My father must work with her husband or at least a family member. I heard about this a day or two ago. Anyhow the worst part is that they did find the people responsible and they don't even belong here, no insurance, no licsence, nothing.I probably shouldn't say this but. it's too bad something bad didn't happen to the idiot driving instead. Anyhow that sucks because this woman has been riding a motorcycle her entire life without incident and all it took was one reckless person to screw that up for her. This is why I can't ever see myself riding a motorcycle. I love to watch them but I don't like that I am at the mercy of some other nutcase.
Anyhow I'm super sorry to hear that it is a relative of yours and Troy's. I will most definatly keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Although she was already there when I first heard about this. I can't even imagine how bad this must be for her and the family. I just hope there are no complications and everything else goes smoothly.

jeremy
10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Must be a different situation. Maria just started riding MAYBE a year ago and we still don't know who hit her.

The latest news is that her hand is also broken in a few spots. The police have also determined that they believe that the truck and the trailer most likely hit her (due to the amount of damage on the bike) which makes it even more amazing that she keep the bike upright. That also means there is NO DOUBT that they knew they hit her which means they just left her to die on the side of the road. The police officer that first arrived on the scene applied a tourniquet to her leg. The hospital is saying that if it was applied any later she would have died.

bub hill7
10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Jeremy, did this happen somewhere close to Otter near highway 1638? We saw a Medivac Helicopter take off from near the disc golf course while we were playing there Sunday and wondered what happened. It's unbelievably sad. Like Sweat said, Troy is one of the best guys in the game.

jeremy
10-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Yup! Right off 1238 about two miles from OCP.

Sweat
10-16-2008, 01:30 AM
we were on hole 7 and Jim said how it was funny that the traffic was so busy because we keep hearing the noise and we figured that it was a Bad Wreck! :(

Russ
10-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Odd, that the same thing happened to someone else. This happened around valley station saturday. Stay off of motorcycles, is probably the best advice. Well anyway I hope that everything is all right and she will make it.

captain plastic
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
The cops have been patrolling heavier in the Louisivlle/Metro area because
of the increase in pedestrian and bicycle deaths. Motorcycles are dangerous
as we are all aware but so are inconsiderate people behind the wheels
of big cars.

The Benhams are in my thoughts and prayers.

jeremy
10-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's more on their story! Thanx to Fox 41 for doing the story on such short notice. We contacted them yesterday and the story aired as their lead story at 10:00pm last night. We'll be contacting other stations trying to catch whoever did this.

http://fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=9192943

jeremy
10-28-2008, 11:44 AM
As far as donations go you could send a check made payable to Troy or Maria Benham to me at: Jeremy Watts, 4210 Garrett Rd. Apt. B, Ekron, KY 40117. They’ve asked that no personal information be given out.

They’ve also asked that I not publicly announce what hospital she’s residing in. This is a VERY emotional time for her and she’s requested to only receive visits from close family and friends. Thanx for your concern for the family.