PDA

View Full Version : Metro Parks contact

Larry
08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I sent an email to the person who runs the metro parks website. He responded and I sent another email just 5 min. ago. just so people know what things have been touched on heres what was sent...read it from bottom to top as this has been forwarded . :

Thank you for the speedy response. It's good to know that you guys try your best to stay on top of things. However, I would like to keep contact with you about the disc golf situation. I'm a member of the LDGC (Louisville Disc Golf Club) that is really avid with the sport. We as disc golfers are used to being a bit low in the priority list. But as our sport grows (which is at a rapid pace) we're needing to know the procedures as far as the parks are concerned about expanding. We NEED more courses in Louisville! If it is something you have the resources to do, could you send me some contact info for other departments that I would need to get in touch with about new course development as well as volounteer work that my club could do at the parks containing DG courses. I know for a fact that I could round up 10+ people who would dedicate their time maintaing these and future courses on a regular basis. We'll sign waivers and anything it takes to show our hunger for development. I could ramble on and on, just want to make sure my questions are going in the right ears. Thanks again for your help. -Larry sneegas

Hi Larry,

If you visit the site below and scroll to "Disc Golf" on the
drop-down
menu, you'll see that Otter Creek Park and Iroquois Park come up on the
search. I also know, however, that Charlie Vettiner Park also has a disc
golf course so I'll be sure to add that park to this function.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/ ... search.htm (http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/parks/amenitysearch.htm)

Since we don't charge to play disc golf in our parks or require
reservations to use the courses, we don't normally host special events
on them. If there is such an event in the future that is open to the
public, and if we deem it appropriate, we'll be happy to add that
information to the calendar.

Thanks for your time and interest! Let me know if you have any further
questions.

Jon E. Reiter
Communications Coordinator
Louisville Metro Parks
Post Office Box 37280
Louisville, KY. 40233-7280
Office: (502) 456-1863
Cell: (502) 817-5253
Jon.Reiter@louisvilleky.gov
http://www.metro-parks.org

Hello. Just a quick email about something I see missing in the metro
parks website. There isn't any information (VERY minimal) about disc
golf. I know of at least 3 metro area parks that contain disc golf
courses and it's suprising that I cannot get information about them. I
feel like this website should be the 1st place I could go to find out
more information. I see dates posted on the calender of up coming events
for various things. None of which envolve disc golf. Please respond to
this email just so I know my voice is heard. Thank you for any
cooperation. --Larry Sneegas

captain plastic
08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Good work Larry!

Larry
08-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Another response from Metro Parks:

Larry,

Iíve forwarded on your comments to Mike Slaton, who is our Volunteer Coordinator and would be responsible for setting up volunteer activity at the parks. Iíll check around today to see who would be the most appropriate person to contact regarding the development and/or possible expansion of disc golf in our parks system.

I certainly understand where youíre coming from as far as the growing popularity of disc golf. Iíve got many friends who play and Iím glad to know thereís an organization in the Louisville area dedicated to the sport. Iíll get some more information and get back with you.

Thanks,

Jon Reiter

Larry
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Larry,

Iím glad to hear that you and your group are interested in volunteering with Metro Parks. I actually have a meeting next week about some upcoming Eagle Scout Projects in Charlie Vettiner Park , so I will see if I can find out about improvements that volunteers can make to the disc golf course there or elsewhere.

Iíd be happy to talk with you after that about a group project or getting you all in our Adopt-A-Park program.

Thanks,

Mike H. Slaton

Volunteer Coordinator

Louisville Metro Parks
Post Office Box 37280
Louisville, KY 40233-7280

Office: (502) 456-8156
Cell: (502) 744-9260
Mike.Slaton@louisvilleky.gov

J_VanOver
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Awesome Larry. It looks like you have a good contact going.

Larry
08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
-Jon,

This is Larry, the disc golfer. Glad you're keeping me informed. Hey, off subject, did you grow up around Okolona ? Your name sounds familiar. I wanted to respond to your email about this section:

"Since we don't charge to play disc golf in our parks or requirereservations to use the courses, we don't normally host special eventson them. If there is such an event in the future that is open to thepublic, and if we deem it appropriate, we'll be happy to add thatinformation to the calendar."

I understand your point about the no fees to play and that you normally do not host special events. The thing is, The LDGC pays quite a bit of cash to Metro to reserve the disc golf area of the parks (Charlie Vettiner, Iroquois, AND Otter Creek). There are several events that take place annually and are open to the public. Also, I'm just an individual and not the voice of the entire club speaking.For the 2009 season, I'll make sure that you have the dates and titles of future events that are ran by the LDGC and sanctioned by the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association). Maybe we can have our eventsposted on your website. Sorry if I'm ranting, I'm just a family guy that has been lucky enough to find an active hobby that I truly enjoy.There is no wealth involved at the amateur level of play, just a fun outdoor activity. There had been a-lot of success in neighboring counties as far as new course development. I hope to be able to contribute to the same success locally, with help from people like you. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks again---Larry Sneegas
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Larry,

No, I grew up in and around the Clarksville , Indiana area and still live there Ö but I do like the Okolona area because it reminds me of home!

Yeah, I certainly donít mind posting your events online if you get them to me. Also, does the LDGC have a Web site? It would be awesome to also provide a link on our site. Our Web site gets more than 150,000 hits per month, so weíd maybe be able to get you guys some more traffic.

I wasnít aware that we were charging you to reserve the disc golf courses. I was under the assumption that the courses were free and open to the public, so I apologize for the misinformation.

I look forward to hearing more from you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon

No, no. You are right about the fact that it's free to play at any of the disc golf courses at any time. But when we hold a tournament (some of which draw on average 100+ players) we have to pay a fee to reserve the area. That way if someone off the street was to want to play a round while we had a tournament, we have the right to make sure no one interrupts play. Even though we as disc golfers are quite courteous of anyone willing to show interest in the sport. I can't recall a time where we've told someone to get lost because we've reserved the disc golf course. There IS already a link to our website, http://www.louisvillediscgolf.com which we appreciate, GREATLY. Alot of us are, basically, disc golf addicts. Don't be surprised to get more emails related to disc golf. And let your piers know we're hungry for development of the sport. Thanks, Jon, for expressing concern. We really appreciate it. ---Larry Sneegas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry,

I did some checking, and, youíre right about how you guys reserve the courses and I did notice the link on the Charlie Vettiner, Otter Creek and Iroquois sites to your site. So, itís obvious I was in need of the education youíve provided me. ( :

Please stay in touch. I do know that disc golf is huge in other parts of the country and growing here, and itís a good recreational activity for our parks. I am excited to see your 2009 schedule; and also, if you have any pictures of you guys in action at our parks, Iíd love to see them.

Jon

Russ
08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Well I'm going to try and give you a link to 351 disc golf photos, most of which came from one of the three metro parks. These are all posted on discgolfersr.us under my name, which is Russell Gore #26401. Here is the link...........http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/photo/ ... ontributor (http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor)

I will try this link to make sure it works. If it does not I will make another post to let you know.

Russ
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Nope it does not work..........however if you e-mail me I will give you my information so that you can log in under my name and get them. my e-mail is trdspeed9292@yahoo.com

The only reason I'm saying to do it this way is it would take forever trying to e-mail them. Plus this way you can look through them and decide which ones you like.

Sweat
08-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Welcome back Russ!

Russ
08-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Thank you Sweat. I'm going to keep it civil this time around for the sake of "Numbers" and the sport in general. 8-)

festis
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
ha Russ is a newbie! :lol: :lol: