PDA

View Full Version : Japan Update

J_VanOver
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Well its 9:20am on Tuesday and I just played a 9 hole practice round with Klimo, Ari Agnasan, Kevin McCoy and Mike Williams (Masters player). The airplane ride was a little over 13 hours and the bus ride from the airport to the cottages was about 4 after the stops. I got to eat some kick butt noodles at a truck stop\resturant.

More updates to come.

illyB
06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
that sounds sweet. Have a great time and get some birds :lol:

Sweat
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
After all that I would be looking for a good massage from one of those Japanese honey's! :lol: Have a great time Jason and take some pics for all of us back in KY.

bub hill7
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Jason, how many strokes did you have to give Climo?

J_VanOver
06-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Day 1 update
Yesterday I played straight through 27 holes of a combination of par 3s and 4s at Nasu Highlands golf course where the tournament is being held. This has definately been a chance of a lifetime. I can't imagine a tournament like this anywhere else. I hope as I get better and travel more I am proven wrong.

I think that I finished about 18 or 20 over. That includes 4 lost discs into the trees that drop off cliffs. There was no way I was going after them. Course par is 91.

I skipped lunch during the round and had dinner that night. Buffet style Japanese style was a treat. The Sushi guy was awesome with face paint, bare chest and was wearing something that looked like a diaper.

Day 2.
Just finished a half round and feel pretty good at not finishing last. I am starting to aim at the middle of the fairway instead of where the basket is. I think I am going to depend on second shots and upshots to shoot closer to par. I've gotten some good tips from Klimo and my roomate Ari.

I'm getting ready to go back to the room and get my hot springs robe so I can come back and get in the hot springs and relax. There is the opening celebration tonight at an amusement park next door.

Tomorrow is the opening day and I think that they are ranking people by rating so I will be playing late afternoon in the B pool.

If anyone wants something please let me know over the next couple of days. Discs are selling fast. Assume that it will cost you about $30 per disc. There is no more rocs with the tree design but they still have the Kabuke face and the archer. They also have some really nice dyes and Japan Open Stamps. The new Monarch and Pig was released here and also a dx Xcaliber. All of them are at 150g though. Tshirts are 30, polos are 80, sweat shirts are 120. Hats are 30.

captain plastic
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Jason glad you are having a good time. Will you get me one of the tournament rocs. I think
you said they are star plastic. I am going to give it to my wife. She has been wanting to play.
Take care and have a BLAST!!!!

PDGA#26039
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
You the man! Sounds like you're having a great time. I'll have to try to make it in 2010

J_VanOver
06-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Day 3 - Round 1
Not a great day on the score card but the weather held out with just a little bit of sprinkles during the first few holes. I ended with a 128. I'm not really happy with the score but the OBs killed me. Someone said that the course has more OB markings than the USDGC but I don't know how reliable the source is. I will give an update of scores later.

Tomorrow is a new day and I look forward to a sub 100 round. Smarter play than today should do it. Or at least get me down to bogey golf where I should be. :Please:

Sam, I got your roc today. It is silver with a gold archer stamp. Ebay prices are around $50 so you will be happy with what you paid for. The original Kabuke Fire Faces were sold out when I got there this morning.

Until tomorrow.

captain plastic
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jason and keep it in the fairway!
Enjoy your trip.

captain plastic
06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I just saw Jason is playing with a guy from Mongolia and Korea in the second round. 8-)
That's cool. I guess that's why God gave us fingers to communicate with.

festis
06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
are you implying the universal finger language? :nono:

festis
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Jason, Grab "He who can not be mentioned"(R.G.) on this board a Dragon disc if any are left. If they are all gone do not worry about it. Sounds like you are having a ton of fun!

J_VanOver
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Round 2 morning
Getting ready to get on the bus for my round. Sorry, there was not any Dragon discs that I saw when I got here.

Played tennis last night with Climo and Feldburg. They beat the heck out of me and my partner. I got a new partner and so did Ken and we gave The Champ and Kevin McCoy a 6-0 thrashing the first set and got beat 6-4 the second set. We stopped for dinner so no third set yet. Played some ping-pong and hung out at a players party where they were throwing Dodgebee discs at each other full speed. Pretty funny to see people get hammered and then get hammered in the face with a foam disc at 50 mph.

Until later.

Daniel
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Dodgebee? Man, that's a new one on me...sounds like fun, though!

J_VanOver
06-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Day 2 - After the round
Just finished my second round. I took 7 strokes off of my score (121) and left a few more that I should of had including a doinked out birdie. Oh well. It was about 75 degrees?and sunny the whole round. It looks like the rain is getting ready to come down so the people left on the course my get some. I got my first birdie today on a 300 foot downhill. I threw a hyzer that skipped up to the basket for a drop in. I was very happy because that was one of the things that I wanted to accomplish during the round. Small stuff for most of you guys but wait until you see the pictures and you will see why most people are over par. I have lost a total of 5 discs so far. I have had 2 returned so it hasn't been so bad.

Anyway, proshop update: they are selling condors and zephyrs if anyone is interested. I'm not sure of the weight though. My guess is that they are 150. It was just cool to see them. The will be 15 if anyone is interested. They also have a bunch of other 150 stuff in DX, champ and star that is 15 to 20 depending on the plastic. Sam your special stamp was why it was so expensive.

Tonight is a special dinner with Japaneses drummers. This tournament has been an experience of a lifetime and I encourage everyone to try to come in 2010. I'm going to try.

Until later,

festis
06-13-2008, 08:59 AM
anything left with any japan open stamp. if these are left little michael would love to have one. it's a bonus for him that you don't have to worry about weight. because all he throws are 150 class. except his putter. he uses 165 putters. bonus for me, his dad, he has his own money to pay for it.

J_VanOver
06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
There is all kinds of discs that have a special stamp on them that says Japan Open 2008 with and without a Kabuke face. Xcalibers, Destroyers, Wraiths, Firebirds, Rocs, Pigs, Monarchs, etc. There is also the more expensive Rocs that I posted about earlier that have the archer on them. I'm getting ready to go to bed so let me know what you want and I will pick it up. I will check the board before I go in the morning and get what you want.

PS. Also a milestone was reached today. One of my goals was to not finish last. I have that locked up. There is a guy that I'm beating by about 20 strokes or more.

martin
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
hey jason - thats amazing you are playing in japan what a treat -

can you pick me up a pig and a monarch (curious what they might be?)

jeremy
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
The Pig is like a more over stable Ryhno and the Monarch is a more under stable Road Runner.

martin
06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks jeremy - i don't those yet - you know if they are innova-hero? not released in the US maybe?

jeremy
06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
They're here in the US too. They were announced a few weeks ago by Innova.

martin
06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
so many discs they make

J_VanOver
06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
3rd round update
It's a little after a 11am and I just finished my 3rd round. The top 64 played 18 holes. Everyone after that only played 9. Sylvia Vokes beat me by 4 strokes. We have been joking all week on who is going to win. She played it safe today and held her lead. I tried to make up ground on the 2 people in front of me and that and the severe wind today caused a lot of my already bad shots to be worse.

I will give an update later today. I'm getting ready to go back to the course to get lunch and to watch a disc dog expo and a long distance comp. before the final round starts at 2.

Martin, I got the discs that you requested.

Until later,

J_VanOver
06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Final Update
As a lot of you know, Dave Feldberg won the open division by 11 strokes and Val Jenkins won the womens division by I think 10. I watched as much of both final 9s as possible and I might appear on the DVD in both galleries. They were happening simulataneously so I ended up watching the women mostly and watched about 4 holes of the men. The women were more entertaining to watch in my opinion. It was really windy. The wind was gusting about 50 miles an hour or more. Hats were flying everywhere. 150g and wind are not a good match.

This was an experience of a lifetime for sure.

See you guys in a couple of days.

J_VanOver
06-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Well I'm back! I hope to be at leagues tomorrow night back to throwing max weight discs. I might have a 150 or 2 in my bag to help me transition back until I can get the discs replaced with their max weight counter part.

I have a star roc with archer stamp for Sam
I have a pig and monarch for Martin
I have a couple of discs for Michael to choose from that I bought while I was there. Wraith or QJLS. His choice.

The player package was UNBELIEVABLE. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
We got a:
Innova bag XT. It is a disc bag/roll cart/travel bag.
CampTime stool with special Japan Open print from HukLab
T-Shirt
Metal Mini with JO stamp
set of 3 flippee discs (small disc about the size of a mini that you can snap fingers to make fly)
Toss around disc almost the size of an ultimate disc by Hero
Hero 235 disc in 131g - It is the mold that the Sonic is made from
A Dodgebee 200 disc - Dodgeball with a disc

The players package was worth the same or more than the entry fee. :weee:

Thanks to everyone that responded with well wishes and just read the updates. It was good to communicate back with the homeland. I met a lot of cool people, had dinner and drinks with The Champ and a lot of other stories best not shared on the message board. :whistle:

By the way. Climo beat me in ping pong. :( :D One thing on my list that I didn't accomplish. I blaim it on the paddles. No padding house paddles stink! :bang: