PDA

View Full Version : Fights on TV

Larry
02-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Anyone get to see the Pavlik/Taylor rematch? What about Kimbo Slice vs. Tank Abbott MMA fight on Showtime? I knew Kimbo would own Tank, but you gotta see for yourself. He's just getting started. Been following the guy for about 2 1/2 years now. He finishes fights QUICK! And the boxing. If you liked the 1st bout between Taylor and Pavlik, you'll enjoy this one, too. Even though the first match was a more exciting fight. Any boxing fan needs to watch that 1st fight. One of the best 12 rounds I've seen in a long time. I'm sure this stuff will be talked about pretty big over the next few days.

JHenson
02-17-2008, 01:08 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: That's about how I feel. I typed a lengthy comment here then hit save not submit, then hit the return button only to find my comment erased. I've done this repeatedly since the site has changed. other then that the sites great.

Anyways back to Larry. Yea I'm a big fight fan, but I was more interested in the Kimbo fight so I didn't buy the PPV. I'm glad you didn't give the winner cause I'll be watching the re-play after the Klitchko fight this SAT. I really hate Showtime commentary though. Theese guys have no idea what they're talking about other the Golberg. Goldberg brings up a intellectual comment about strategy or form, and then that Mauro guy would say yes and change the subject.

Sweat
02-17-2008, 01:10 PM
You tube has a lot of kimbo fights. I like him but I don't think he would make it in the UFC, he is big but slow! :x

Larry
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Kimbo can only get better with the right training. I look for him to get PPV status within the next year or so. Unless he's signed with Showtime for awhile,that is. If you wanna see something funny (I don't like that Mauro dude either) go on youtube and look up "Cro Cop punks Mauro" its worth the 7 or 8 minutes. I wouldn't wanna spoil a good fight and give the winner of the Taylor/Pavlik II bout. But if you're like me, you've looked it up online already. I couldn't wait till next week.

JHenson
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
You tube has a lot of kimbo fights. I like him but I don't think he would make it in the UFC, he is big but slow! :x

That's just the way he's been showcased. Kimbo has incredible potential. The "crap" you see on YTube isn't his best. With team Triumph and Bass Ruten he'll pick up the conditioning and ground game he needs to compete with the best. In Kimbo, They're molding an extremely heavy hitter that's a blank canvas, who will absorb any positive BJJ or other ground control and that equals any other heavy weight title holder in UFC recently. In less then a year Kimbo will beat a Silva, Arloski, Couture, or Gonzaga.

EagleFan05
02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
The one to be watching that is truly a fighter in learning is Brock Lesnar. The man is a powerhouse and with more training will be dominating. If it wasn't for a bullcrap stop by the ref, he would of made Mir tap due to strikes. One hit on the back of the head and the ref stands them back up, I've seen guys get hit in the back of the head numerous times and only get a warning.

Larry
02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Coulda been worse. Herb Dean could have been the ref which always seems to end in early stoppage. Not all the time, but i've saw too many bad (and a few good) calls to stop a fight. Steve Mazzagatti DID make a bad call, in my opinion. Brock isn't just a WWF guy. He's decorated in the sport and hopefully get some payday bouts.

EagleFan05
02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
It was just awesome to see Lesnar take Mir down like a rag doll. Lesnar does have the talent, he just needs to learn the mental part of the fight. When he had Mir on the ground and was utilizing his wrestling skills he looked awesome but when he took Mir down again he should have never put his leg between a Submission artists legs while standing. If he had mad Mir stand up and fight he would have won.

JHenson
02-18-2008, 05:38 PM
No Brock won't be anything. There's a difference between wrestling and BJJ. I've read and listened to people discuss this before and wrestling back ground guys will admit they have nothing past take downs. That's as far as wrestling will get you, anything past that is jiu jitsu. If Brock can get someone well learned in BJJ on his team maybe he can learn a few defenses, but I'll never pick him over a brazillian jiu jitsu fighter. Plus Kimbo will take him in less then two minutes.

EagleFan05
02-18-2008, 07:45 PM
What ground game does Kimbo have. He has no experience in any kind of formal martial arts background. Brock is 50lbs heavier, twice as quick,and stronger. A Brawler is just a stand up and punch fighter, A wrestler already has an advantage by knowing how to work his way around a guy while he is on the mat. Brock already has the ground and pound mentality that most of your champions in all weight classes use. The question is which fighter can take a punch, all we see on the internet are fights that kimbo has won, where are the fights that he has lost. They both just got started in MMA, and just from the fights that I have watched, Brock already has more skill than Kimbo. Hands Down Lesnar over Kimbo.

J_VanOver
02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Watch the Kimbo/Gannon fight on youtube. I'm not for sure when that was in Kimbo's street fighting career but when gannon puts him in choke hold it takes the crowd to get him out. He has no abilities other than a stand-up brawler. His MMA fights have all been stand-up. I don't see much there other than that.

Larry
02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Kimbo put Ray Mercer on the ground and choked him out. But he's one of those out-of-their-prime 2nd chance guys, too. Everyone has their opinion on Kevin Ferguson. But I think he's a force at the moment and until someone puts him on his arse, I'm backing the hype. Brock was lightning fast in the Mir fight and I thought for a second it was gonna be stopped when Mir was getting pummeled in the face. But it just goes to show how far some good BJJ will get you against a slugger. This topic is FUN! And Brock over Kimbo :nope: I'd love to see it in the future. I'd pay.

EagleFan05
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
This is one topic we need to keep going. I see that Chuck Lidell is going to be fighting the undeserving Rashaad Evans in May. Hopefully Chuck will be the one to finally put him in his place. Also I hear that Brock will be fighting Mark Coleman later this year. Lets hear some predictions of the upcoming fight between BJ Penn and Sean Sherk. I pick BJ Penn in the 3rd round with a Rear Naked Choke.

Larry
03-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I bet Sherk and Penn stand up more than people expect. And I see it almost ending in the 1st but making it through most of the 2nd with the ref stopping Penn from bustin Sherk apart. As far as the Liddell fight. I hope Liddell gives more of a show this time and beats down Evans in the 1st round. KO. Even though I like Evans, Evans is the one with something to prove. I don't have a favorite for that one :?

JHenson
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't do this on purpose, but a disagree with Josh. :twisted: Evans has a great ring presence, he stays calm and and very controled . I went back and watched the Lesner fight on my DVR again. It's worse the second time around. When Mir was on the ground mounted Lesner flails aimlessly. That's why it was stood up. Not one of his punches landed with any purpose. I've seen girls streetfighting with more skill. How about Kimbo vs Liddel.

PS Shamrock got pummeled again. Would someone let this guy know how bad he sucks.

EagleFan05
03-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Rashaad hasn't proven anything yet. He shouldn't have even won the Bisping fight. As far as Lesnars fight goes, most people do flail at there opponet when they have them hurt, look at all fights they get rushed to finish it. Remember this guy has only had 2 fights and has the power to do anything he wants. Anderson Silva is the only fighter that could beat everyone in the UFC in any weight class. I think Shamrock is getting paid to lose, that punch that knocked him on his arse glanced his arm, it was actually comical. By the way, ain't the first time we've disagreed :bang: :lol:

JHenson
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Shamrocks fight was supposedly a warm-up at light heavy before moving to heavy. Who keeps licensing him to fight?

Sweat
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
You tube has a lot of kimbo fights. I like him but I don't think he would make it in the UFC, he is big but slow! :x Remember this conversation guys! I was right , he would never make it in the UFC after that fight the other night. He got the hell beat out of him by some scrub and should have lost but thanks to ABC TV the fight was called and the boo birds came out. Horrible for the sport of MMA :bang: :bang:

J_VanOver
10-06-2008, 12:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Slice knocked out in 14secs. Larry, I hope your not still watching this guy and hoping he's going to turn into something. He's done.

Sweat
10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I knew he would not make it in organized fighting! Most of the street fighters that have ever gone in organized fighting have never did anything. He better go back to utube and stick with it. He SUCKS

Russ
10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
That is one of the few fights I have ever watched. That dude SUCKS!!!!! I can't believe that one little jab split his wig like that. It was like the dude that hit him had a penny role in his glove. That 14 second knockout is the reason why I don't watch fights. It reminds of the Tyson era. Why would I sit for hours leading up to fight to see some crappy fighter get his bell rung in 14 seconds?

jeremy
10-07-2008, 11:04 AM
It’s tough to say that he SUX! That’s a little harsh. Seth Petruzelli is a GREAT fighter! Kimbo got a little ambitious and it looked like he may have even slipped before Seth started pounding on him. That doesn’t mean Kimbo SUX. I don’t care who you are, if you’re getting pounded in the back of the head by someone who knows how to take you down, you’re going down. You’re going to stay down too! Kimbo’s legs locked up straight and he was NOT defending himself anymore so he was most definitely knocked out and the ref was 100% right in calling the fight. Seth got LUCKY! I'm not saying he wouldn't beat him again if happened all over again but I would garentee it would last longer than 15 seconds.

Kimbo IS, without a doubt, over-rated. I would never say he sux though…especially to his face! :lol:

J_VanOver
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Seth WAS a great fighter but hasn't even been fighting lately. I know some of these guys take long breaks to heal and train but I think the article said that he was starting his own business or something. He definitely wasn't training for this fight. The only fight that I know that Kimbo fought a legitimate has-been was Tank Abbott who is also a over-hyped brawler. I don't know if it is Kimbo's look that people keep wanting to promote but he hasn't fought anyone yet that warrants this much pub. Shamrock may have been the first because he WAS a big name too. Bigger than Abbott anyway. He should be working his way up as an undercard fighter and not the headliner. He basically has been fighting undercard type of opponents. Ken Shamrock wouldn't have beat him in 14secs but he would probably have submitted him in the late 1st round or 2nd. That is another problem with Kimbo that Jeremy brought up about someone that knows how to take you down. Most of these guys know how to defend themselves and get back up. I just don't see that type of training and ability in Kimbo.

Sweat
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder if you watched the fight last week?
No Brock won't be anything. There's a difference between wrestling and BJJ. I've read and listened to people discuss this before and wrestling back ground guys will admit they have nothing past take downs. That's as far as wrestling will get you, anything past that is jiu jitsu. If Brock can get someone well learned in BJJ on his team maybe he can learn a few defenses, but I'll never pick him over a brazillian jiu jitsu fighter. Plus Kimbo will take him in less then two minutes.

JHenson
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
If Brock can get someone well learned in BJJ on his team maybe he can learn a few defenses.

He said himself after the fight, he's been working with three BJJ fighter/instructors. They been sparring with him mocking Mir's style. I commend him for doing what was needed to take it to the next level and reach his goals........BUT he said their game plan was submission escapes and keeping the fight standing. neither of which he did. How many times can the guy go against the grain and end up lucky. I was extremely dissapointed in Mir's lack of doing anything other then taking punches. You can tell by the way he acted after the fight he's deffinitely not intelligent.

......Budlight doesn't pay me......

Bud pays UFC.
UFC pays Brock.(for now)
So Bud pays Brock.

He quickly appoligized to Bud, Dana, fans, and Mir during post fight press conferences. Dana pulled him aside and straightened his @## right after the fight. I didn't purchase that fight for Brock anyways, I got three letters for you G S P. I'd heard before the Alves fight that if GSP looked good and wanted it, UFC wouldn't deny him the Silva fight. He didn't act like he wanted though. Also Kimbo is on the next season of TUF, but Rashad or Jackson are not the ones to improve his game. I want to see who the two teams bring in as co-coaches. After all the trash Dana talked about Kimbo, he was quick to re-tract it saying Kimbo just needed a chance to work with the right people.

Sweat
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah he screwed up alright about the Budweiser remark! Man I hope him and VaDAr can get a match together. Somehow some way they got to do it! It would make tons of money!!!!!!!!

Sweat
09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Kimbo got smacked tonight!

JHenson
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
He hardly even fought back!!!!!:bang:

It wasn't a "smacking" though. Those punches were only show. Roy was just talking earlier in the episode about the exact game plan to lay on him and throw as many shots as possible wether they hurt or even landed or not. Props to him for having the winning game plan and executing. What has really made me mad is all the worthless publicity it's gotten. Kimbo has been on MMA Live on ESPN.com, he's on the TUF comercials, and he has his little 2min. segments every episode that I've been calling Kimboisms. I like the guy and keep thinking maybe next week he'll do better. Before this season even started I said the worst thing to happen is for him to end up on Rampage's team. They couldn't even train him on account of arguing over how to do it.

Sweat
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I like Kimbo, but he always lets me down. I agree that Rampage is not a very good coach. He is playing the part of Mr. T in the A-Team movie coming out in June. I hope Kimbo can get something done about his ground game.

Kao
10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
I like Kimbo, but he always lets me down. I agree that Rampage is not a very good coach. He is playing the part of Mr. T in the A-Team movie coming out in June. I hope Kimbo can get something done about his ground game.

I agree with Sweat. I had hoped that he had improved on the ground but was let down.

G1nked
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah I am an big fight fan and I didn't think Kimbo had a chance but Big Country is just a premadonna and I hope someone clocks his ass because him being a prior IFL champ has him favored to win from the get go so I would love to see his bubble busted. I have a link I can post on here for all the fights PPV ect ect but want to make sure its not a site violation first
If someone can let me know I will be happy to post it

JHenson
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Rampage has retired to advance his acting career. He's left before fighting Rashad after the season finale.