PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use this type of throw?

PDGA#26039
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
I've been throwing this shot for a year or so now. I'm right handed. Grip the disc like you are going to throw a hook thumber, with your thumb under the rim. But instead of throwing that shot, bring your arm down and throw with the regular backhand motion, with your thumb still under the rim. Your first 2 fingers are on the top and edge of the disc and you're kind of pinching the disc. I've found a lot of uses for this shot. It allows you a several extra inches of reach if you are obstructed to try to throw around something. And you can get a suprising amount of snap on it using your wrist mostly. I've thrown hyzer shots over 300' this way with a Roc pretty effortlessly, but it's more useful in a touchy upshot situation. I think of it as a backand thumber. Another thing, my palm opens facing to the right upon release. The shot has the general form of a backhand and can be thrown with hyzer of anhyzer. It's just another option for tricky lies and is a more compact shot. Does anyone else use this shot? Has anyone heard of a name for it? If notů.

I hereby deem it " The Backhand Thumber

jeremy
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah...Scott was showing me this shot Saturday. I tried it out and it was pretty comfortable. I would need to practice it QUITE a bit more before I put it in my arsonal though.

PDGA#26039
02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
We've been discussing this on the PDGA board, here are what others are saying...

http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... Post795888 (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=795888&an=0&page=0#Post795888)

captain plastic
02-14-2008, 09:01 PM
discpong wrote "I hereby deem it " The Backhand Thumber""

Now that's funny Scott/ :D

themick
02-15-2008, 07:07 AM
are you talking about a grenade shot . basically an upside down backhand? if so i agree its a great shot espically on steep downhills you want to stop like at banklick. ive been throwing it for a few years. but i dont rember who showed me that shot, but it was at banklick were i first saw it. i think it may have been porkchop.

jeremy
02-15-2008, 07:20 AM
No...it's right side up. It's thrown to fly.

See attachment for angle of release.

PDGA#26039
02-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Not a grenade. Not a scooby. Not an overhead wrist flick. Not a chicken wing.

Someone on the PDGA site is calling it a Staker

martin
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
special throws - PDGA thread folks have lots to talk about don't they

themick
02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
thats cool ive got to try that