PDA

View Full Version : Old IQ course

iroquoisman24
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
We got a new guy at work about 2 weeks ago, I talked to him about disc golf. He said he remembers going up there and seeing people throwing at barrells. I brought a disc golf magazine in and showed it to him then asked him if this was it (Basket) he said no they were actually real barrells. I have talked to alot of people including Trooper one of the founders of the course and no one ever said anything about it to me before. Has anyone heard of this before??? Maybe it was the first makings of the course???

jeremy
01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I remember Ed McGovern talking about it being an object course for a while it seems. Maybe Steve can shed some light on this.

Airborne
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't remember any barrels at IQ The IQ course was put in because of a lawsuit filed by Ed Headrick concerning a course that used to be at Long Run Park.That course used chains to drop the disc into a hollowed out tree stump. Ed claimed that this was in violation of his patent and he agreed to drop the suit if the city would buy a course and install it in one of it's parks. It was to have gone into George Rogers Clark Park, but the people living around the course at the time (1980) objected because during a tournament, there were players peeing in the bushes without making much effort to be discreet and PO'd the locals so they decided to put it IQ. It was installed in April of 1981 and the original course was layed out by Steady Ed himself. The original Louisville Frisbee Disc Club was formed by myself and Rick Downs in about 1979 after I got home from the Army. " Trooper" Holder was one of the first to sign up and was one of our most active members during that time.

iroquoisman24
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Ahhh, Well that still doesn't explain the barrells maybe he just has poor vision. Thanx for the info Steve.

iceman
01-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Regarding the above. I was advise many years ago that a course existed at Longrun Park off Taylorsville Rd. I was told that is course had barrels. Perhaps your new friend is referring to his course.

Drive Long and Prosper...

ed - dro "Over & Out"