PDA

View Full Version : Marker on Discs

Top Gun
01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Does anybody know a really good way to remove marker from discs? I have tried mineral spirits, nail polish remover, goo gone, and even gasoline. I would love to know how to get off marker though.

jeremy
01-05-2008, 05:37 AM
PVC pipe cleaner.

Top Gun
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
sweet man i appreciate it.

Larry
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
When you go to buy the primer (pvc pipe cleaner) make sure you get CLEAR. I just say that cause there are different types, and Lowes and Home Depot seem to have mostly purple. Get enough to mix with some dye's. Try to do your own dye job.

J_VanOver
01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Be careful with that if you are using it for dyes. It messes with the other colors.

Rit & Water is the most user friendly
Rit & Mineral spirits a little bit more intense
Rit & rubbing alcohol is a little meaner and effects the other colors if they haven't sat overnite and been rinsed with water a few times
Rit & Acetone or PVC cleaner is really mean and will basically eat through or warp the plastic if left on there for a long period.

Apply with a brush if dyeing. Apply the cleaner with a cotton cloth if removing. Always wear appropriate gloves. I wear blue nitrile gloves.

If you want some tips on dyeing I would be happy to talk to you some more.

JHenson
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I've used Rit and acetone, but still can't get my blacks past brown???? :?

J_VanOver
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
What color are you trying to put it on?

There are some tricks to actually make black black.

Put a little red with the black. Sometimes gives a purple
Add a little blue with the black. Gives a dark navy color unless you mix navy with the black and then it gets a deeper color.

You might just need to add more black. I got the deepest black by doing the following. Mix about a half of bottle of liquid black rit with water in a stainless steel pot (about 1/2 full), bringing it to a boil (stir while boiling), remove from heat and let the mixture sit until room tempature and then dipping the disc in it. I had the patern masked off so the rest of the disc would not get black on it.

Champion plastic and its discraft equivilant dyes the best. Star is a little harder. Your brown disc is not ruined yet if you still want to go darker. Keep trying.

JHenson
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
That might be the prob, I was dying old pro line, not to ruin new discs while experimenting.

J_VanOver
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
DX is the same. It won't hold a dye. My experience with glo discs from discraft is about the same too.