PDA

View Full Version : Custom dyed discs?

J_VanOver
09-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Has anyone ever custom dyed their own disc? I found some articles on discgolfreview.com on dyeing discs and found another board - odsa.com - that has a huge thread about custom dyes (75 pages). I was curious if anyone around here has tried it and what was the outcome.

J_VanOver
10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Finally tried dyeing a disc. It wasn't really that hard. I did this one very quickly so the circles are not the best but I think that I have the idea of what to do next time. This is a Discraft PhotonGlo Stratus. I think the glow type kept it from soaking up the dye because I tested the same dye on the back side of some star plastic and it was dark. Any ways...kind of fun and may provide a good past time when it gets too cold to play.

The disc is my avatar. I couldn't figure out how to post a picture.

10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
"may provide a good past time when it gets too cold to play. "

Its never too cold too play!!!!!

What about the Ice Bowl in 2004 @ Muldraugh and OCP........

It was like 10 Degrees and snowing......

Disc Golf is a year round sport, Snow, sleet, rain, hail, wind, cold, hot, it dont matter we play!!!!

The only time I dont like playing is in the middle of a lightning storm, it scares the crap out of me!!!!!!

jeremy
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Minus eight w/ four inches of snow at the 2003 Meade/Olin Ice Bowl!!! That was SWEET!!!

10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Even Sweeter when you shoot a -22 with one of the Reesors and win!!!!!!
Was it really 2003 though?
Im sure youd know you ran it!!!!!!!

And yes it was damn cold!!!!

martin
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
that was my first ice bowl - thats how they should all be - i remember i parked hole 15 and never found my driver after it dissapeared under the snow

jeremy
10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I think Kyle lost his putter the same way on the same hole.

10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
That really was a fun day considering the conditions. Thats one I'll never forget.

jeremy
10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
But....anyway....custom dyed discs!?! How did you do it Jason.

JHenson
10-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Rit Dye and acetone is how I did it. I used the powder dye and will use the liquid dye next time I try. I masked the disc off with elmers glue, but didn't let it dry long enough so it bled through a few places. I dyed a pro wraith, you can dye any disc except dx. I aced 18 at Yellow creek then retired it and haven't tried dying discs since.

iroquoisman24
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I dyed my dx gummie shark that I putt with, it looked pink for a while now its off white. I dyed a few discs, my advice is not to use dark dye unless you want to lose something you like or have come acustumed to.

bub hill7
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Years ago Brad Roberts died every disc in his bag the same color Orange. All of his discs looked exactly the same. Would've driven me crazy. He was in my group at OCP Saturday and I saw several of those same discs in his bag. He said years ago he did it so he could find them easier.

iroquoisman24
10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Orange is my favorite color disc its real easy to see and not as hard on the eyes as yellow... and it reminds my of the days I used orange golf balls. :D

J_VanOver
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
I got the directions from http://www.discgolfreview.com. But pretty much what other people have said. Rit dye and water or Rit dye and acetone. I'm going to try Rit and ISO alcohol next. The acetone use is a little scary as it can warp your disc if left on there too long. I used contact paper for the captain america sheild but I picked up some sign vinyl from a sign shop for free that I read does a better job. The discs that are posted on odsa.com (disc club out west) are incredible. There is 78+ pages about disc dyeing. I will try to do a few more and see how it goes.

Acetone by the way seems to be the best way to remove a stamp. I tried alcohol, paint thinner and mineral spirits but the acetone seems to work best. Just work fast as the stamp will actually dye the rest of the disc if not cleaned off fast enough.

iroquoisman24
10-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Yes, acetone has been used for a while for taking off stamps I also clean the edges of my discs with it and if you got a new disc that isn't grippy enough put it were your thumb goes and it will become grippier, It takes off the slick finish. thats what I did before star plastic came out it works good on champion discs that feel slick.

J_VanOver
10-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Here are the two discs that I have done so far. Had a little incident with some goof off on the smiley face and it smeared some of the black. Both of the designs are from the world of comics. The first is Captain America's shield which is pretty recognizable. The second is from a comic called The Watchmen. It is a smiley face button that a character called the Comedian wears. The red is blood caused from being pushed out of a window of a tall apartment building. Poor Comedian.

The shield, as I said in my earlier post is a Discraft PhotonGlo Stratus. The smiley face is a Star Destroyer.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/CapShield-1.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/WatchmenButton-1.jpg

jeremy
10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Nice! Good job man!

J_VanOver
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I have finished 2 more. One of them I did for Keith Gallusser. He is using it for his avatar. It is the logo of his sponser Team Throw. That is Jeremy's disc golf gear company that he is starting. (Free plug 8-) ) The other is a Darth Vader mask obviously. Keith's is a Champion Monster. The Darth Vader is a Elite Z Buzzz. The black to the right of Vaders head is where it was run over by a truck.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/vaderdisck.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/P1060590.jpg

JHenson
12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
very nice. easy way to make money on ebay right there. keep it up. You should work something out with the LDGC to buy you discs to dye and you can double their price on ebay for a club profit.

eric_g
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
The Team Throw Monster is freakin' sweet. I can't wait to see it once Keith gets it.

GetEmWet
12-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Wait until you see the GetEmWet Racing stamp I'm going to get him to do!!!! Not as detailed as the Team Throw, but still sweet!!!! Go Team GetEmWet.

My cheerleaders are cutier than Jeremys(Eric and Keith G)!!!! :lol:

eric_g
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
So are you still calling us cute Nate? And who are your cheerleaders?

JHenson
12-13-2007, 12:51 AM
here's one not as good as your's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-INNOVA-CH ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-INNOVA-CHAMP-WRAITH-175-w-SMILE-BULLET-DYE_W0QQitemZ150195120856QQihZ005QQcategoryZ79804Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

J_VanOver
12-13-2007, 08:17 AM
I like it. Mine is just a more famous rip off. :D

Act_04
05-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, I figured out a pretty easy way to do detailed dyes without masking. I used paper, a charcoal pencil, liquid RIT dye, and a fine-tipped paintbrush. To remove the stamp on the green disc I used a Scotch-Brite pad with soap and water. I don't remember what I used for the yellow disc.

First you print off or sketch out a picture of what you want on your disc. Then trace over it with a dark color (pen or marker) so you can see the image from the back of the paper. Now, on the backside of the paper use a charcoal pencil to trace the image (it will be flipped, like in a mirror). You should press firmly to make sure you get a lot of charcoal on the trace marks. Now grab your disc and press the paper against it, charcoal side down, being careful not to shift the paper. I held the paper in place with one hand and used my other hand to rub over where the image was. This will transfer the charcoal image (in its original orientation) onto your disc. Now all you have to do is trace over the charcoal image with your dye and wait for it to dry.

[attachment=1:3tj4acl9]Xcaliber_char._and_dye.JPG[/attachment:3tj4acl9]

I let these two dry overnight and then rinsed them with cold water. The dye does not come out as dark as some i have seen done with an acetone/dye mixture, but I'm sure you could use the acetone/dye mixture with a paintbrush and get darker results.

[attachment=0:3tj4acl9]DSCN1945.jpg[/attachment:3tj4acl9]

Sweat
05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I have pictures from the 03 and 04 icebowls at OCP and Muldraugh when it snowed like crazy. That was a lot of fun out there those days.

bpait
05-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been dyeing discs for years. Rit dye works the best from what I have found because it doesnt add any thickness to the discs and therefore makes them legal for play in tourneys as well as your casual round. I am trying to figure out how some of the dyes that you find on ebay our done. It amazes me the clean lines they are getting. Any thoughts?

J_VanOver
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, 2 reasons that I know for sure because I have asked the people that do it professionally.
1: They use vinyl cut on a plotter - That is the only way to get straight lines. I cut mine free hand with an exacto, and it works pretty well, and then transfer over to the plastic. The open area of the vinyl gets dyed. I cut vinyl on a light board. I tape the pattern down, tape vinyl over top of the pattern, turn off the overhead light and turn on the light board. I work in the dark for the most part. The Darth Vader took about 1 hour to cut. The Captain America Shield took about 10 minutes. The smiley face with the blood drop took about 1 hour but I could probably do it faster now. Keith's throw disc took about 25 hours total. That is why I have been hesitant to do more but I am working on a disc for Nate right now.
2: They use a dye made for plastic - Dyed discs from a factory are put on a spinner and drops of the special dye gets dropped on it and as it spins the disc is dyed. They don't use Rit. Discs that are dyed by Widye and other dye places have found the appropriate dye to use. It is a liquid dye that you can also add to plastic prior to molding to change the color of the pellets. You can contact a plastic company and they can tell you. You can try Widye but he didn't tell me.

Good luck. Also look at the ODSA.com message board in the general topics forum. There is about 100 pages of dyes on there. That is where I picked up a lot of information.

bpait
05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Awesome Jason! Thanks for the info.I have been using the free hand cut method as well. I will try to get some pics of the ones I have done on the board soon. Let me know the next time you are going to be dyeing discs. I would love to lend you some help if you would like. I have some images that I would like to do but am having difficulty in cutting them. Would like your expertise.

mrjoshd
01-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Alot of people are saying you cannot dye DX discs which isn't true. For the most part the stamping process is different and creates more troubles which is where this comes from - it's not as easy so they give up. The colors aren't as "true" either as you see in champion and star, but for a plain black dye or a white disc with any die it's quite alright.

The stamps are raised on a DX, unlike the others, and it's actually a stamp on a stamp to create a boxed lettering 3D type effect/outline on alot of the discs. Acetone generally only takes the color off (if it's a colored foil) and this top layer, leaving a significant outline of the stamp clearly visible. Many other people have posted such things as a Brillo pad with extensive water and soap usage working - but that's abusive to the disc and could seriously affect flight patterns or even make it illegal. I have tried tons of chemicals and nothing has worked. However, Arm and Hammer Magic Erasers are a flipping gift from heaven.

Use acetone to take the ink and top foil off cleanly. Once removed and rinsed off, take a magic eraser and rinse it and just give it a light scrubbing. I'm sure this is working as an abrasive, but I honestly cannot tell a difference between where I used the eraser and where I've used the acetone. I've read many things saying acetone removes a finish off the disc and I have to agree that the eraser does the same thing. I've yet to try a disc totally with the eraser as I think it's just a waste of energy and and an eraser, but I believe it may be possible. May be something to try for those in apartment complexes / children / allergies and such that can't use acetone indoors.

J_VanOver
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
The reason that I said that you couldn't dye DX plastic was because I tried it and the dye didn't take after about 20 hours of sitting in dye. When it did finally take after about 48 hours it looked faded. I think you are better off using colored sharpies on dx then wasting all that time with a disc in dye. Just my 2cents. Maybe different runs of dx and ProD takes dye differently but I didn't want to waste that many days trying to find one that did.

mrjoshd
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Well I could definitely understand how different runs could take differently. You can feel subtle difference in the plastics. I've only done Innova, so I can only verify them, but Aviars, Coyotes, Wolfs, Wraiths, and Beasts have all taken for me so far and I've never had one sit in a single color dye for more than 15 minutes. I'm using the powder rit dye in a 5 quart pot and heating it on the stove at the 2 level on the dial and then removing it and placing the disc on top. The darker the disc the more it seems to look faded once dyed, but all of the light colored ones are taking black dyes excellently.

I have noticed that a white disc doesn't like blue very well - it comes out almost too dark to tell but it does take red and black very well. The only reason we're dying DXs is because me and my friends I go with just started about 3 months ago and are still learning. We all plan on moving up in disc grade at some point, but for the Stars/Champs we do have we don't want to ruin them with an ugly dye. We're still dye noobs too. Alot of ours are tie dyed already which makes a dye on top sort of pointless too.

J_VanOver
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Well keep it up. You should post pics of your dyes when you get some done. I personally would like to see yours and some more local people doing their own dyes. Brian Pait does some too. I'm working on one right now for Jeremy that looks like the avatar that Little Galluser (Keith) has. It's Jeremy's company logo.

BTW Jeremy, I started cutting again. Got a CE Leopard from Martin so I think I'm back to the original agreement.

Kao
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
If you like to dye and havn't checked out the forums at DGCR I would take a look. They set up a section for dying found here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25. They post some sweet dyes and answer questions about dying there. Check out vettekrazy's stuff while your there, he has posted some very nice work on the boards.

irishfiend
03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
HOLY CRAP! those are really awesome discs! this seems like it would be a very difficult process, but i would love to have my own customs like those. the captain america is my favorite, and the watchmen is even more of a great idea now. makes for a cool disc also.